Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an R8 right now, I want the V8 Spyder and there are about 5 for sale where I live in the UAE: Buy & sell any Audi R8 car online - 4 used cars for sale in UAE | price list | dubizzle

I'd take a manual but they are almost impossible to find out here. The S-Tronic DSG style gearbox will be fine, but I really do not want the R-Tronic. I have not driven either but from the reviews I know I will hate it.

If you look at the 5 cars in the link above, they are all 2016 - however, from what I believe the V8's were phazed out in 2015 - maybe these were sold in 2016 as the last of the stock I'm not sure. However, what I'm struggling to fin out is what gearbox was standard in 2015. Is S-Tronic standard on all of that year or was it an Option? Would any of these be R-tronic or are they all the newer & Speed S-Tronic?

I asked one of the dealers and they are clueless. Can anyone confirm this for me please?

·
Registered
429 Posts
V8 was available until the Gen 2 came out late 2016/17. All facelift cars (2015 on I think) came with the s-tronic. They can be distinguished by having single round exhausts instead of the quads, 3 fins at the back instead of 4 and the switchgear has Chrome edging. Front lights look slightly different too. The only car in that link that I can see being the r-tronic is the grey one with 99k miles on it, that looks like a pre-facelift.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,175 Posts
2014-15 are the facelift model years (and 2013 outside of North America)
All facelift models (2013-2015) will be S Tronic.

2017-19 was the beginning of the gen2 (and 2016 outside of North America.
Needless to say all gen2 were S Tronic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate that.

Another question please, I have Android Auto / Apple Car play in my other cars I swapped out the head units in my Cayman/Cayanne. Easy enough and now I have maps and Spotify but it works with the steering wheel controls etc. The R8 already has exactly the same size screen so I assume it will be fine. I searched but did not find much. Is it an easy swap to put in a modern head unit with this - or do you lose anything from the cars controls?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts