Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Guys, anyone figured out a way of accelerating quickly from a dead-stop without using Launch Control?

Please tell me what you're technique/setting is?

Thanks.
When AUDI invited me to Las Vegas last January to drive the R8, they
said to leave the car in Automatic...one foot on brake and other on
throttle. High revs, then take foot off brake. And you will go FAST!
And, we did!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Doesn't that ruin your car? I thought you shouldn't be doing that too often.

bz888 bro, the way you have been posting I can imagine you do the same at every light, take care of your car...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doesn't that ruin your car? I thought you shouldn't be doing that too often.

bz888 bro, the way you have been posting I can imagine you do the same at every light, take care of your car...
That is what AUDI told us to do after they made sure we had our helmuts
on. Of course, this was at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in a straight
line. I think they told us to rev to 5,000 rpm with foot on brake. Then
let go and mash the accelerator to the floor. I do not know if this does
any damage, but that is what the folks from Audi in Germany told us
to do. When we reached the end, we braked extremely hard, turned
around and returned the same way. They let me do this exercise
3 times. R8's used for this exercise had racing bucket seats and
Ceramic Brakes.
It was a blast!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey R8Tulsa, I tried what you said and it doesn't work. Maybe you're thinking of "Launch Control". I know how to initiate launch control BUT I don't want to do that too often. I just want a semi "NORMAL" way of accelerating from a dead stop.

If I had the normal 6-Speed Manual you have full control of the Clutch and Throttle. However, with R-Tronic it seems like you only have 2 options. "Launch Control" which you can't use too often or Normal Crawling off the line then accelerating hard.

Not many options in my opinion. The R-Tronic doesn't have enough shift modes or options. The SMG has drive logic with 11 different modes. The R-Tronic only has 2. Very annoying.

Anyway, If any one out there has mastered a way to accelerate WITHOUT using Launch control please let me know....

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use a similar technique to the above, but without the mass of revs. You've got launch control for this afterall.
Clearly the R-Tronic needs to be treated differently from a standard auto box as it doesn't have a torque converter, but holding her on the brakes with the left foot, squeezing the throttle and almost instantly lifting off the barkes and nailing the accelerator does it for me.
No undue strain on the driveshaft etc but she does seem to shift off the line with a bit more urgency than normal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not many options in my opinion. The R-Tronic doesn't have enough shift modes or options. The SMG has drive logic with 11 different modes. The R-Tronic only has 2. Very annoying.

Anyway, If any one out there has mastered a way to accelerate WITHOUT using Launch control please let me know....

Thanks!!!
maybe they should put different levels of launch control, 1-3
this way you can adjust how much rev's you lift off with...
because sometimes all you need is a little push and not 5k's worth of rev's

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe they should put different levels of launch control, 1-3
this way you can adjust how much rev's you lift off with...
because sometimes all you need is a little push and not 5k's worth of rev's

I'm not so sure on this one. The car gets off the line fairly smartly anyhow and L.C. has been designed to be the optimum way to get the 4.4 secs 0-60 mph (for Euro spec R8's that is!!:p ) and onwards out of the car vis a vis the 5,000 rpm it gives you when you floor the throttle.
Taking into consideration all the faffing about (it's a British term for lengthy procedure!) you have to do to put the car into L.C. mode in the first place (I've never used it at a set of traffic lights and probably wouldn't tbh) I can't see how slightly differing levels would be of much benefit.
Just my pennies worth.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i agree with you paul,
i figured the car given it's an awd, can still launch farely well without the aid of launch control.
in either case, trying to get a faster launch by power braking or means of using the launch control will diminish the life of your car, wouldn't everyone agree?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i've gotta disagree. The R-Tronic gearbox when NOT using Launch Control is slower off the line than the normal 6-Speed. It's way too slow for my liking. The car revs slowly to about 3000RPM then the computer slowly releases the clutch. By that time, I've been smoked by a Toyota Camry!! :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I'm not accustomed to this "Life of the Car" concept. I came from an E46 SMG M3, which used live on the rev limiter and Launch Control at least 3 times per month. The only thing I replaced was the rear tyres. Rock solid.

I figured if I'm spending AU$320K on a car, I should expect performance and reliability. Not having to baby the car...

·
Registered
604 Posts
The more you spend the more fragile things seem to be....

Aston Martin Dealer - You want to drive how many miles per year! I'm afraid they aren't designed for that :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, i've gotta disagree. The R-Tronic gearbox when NOT using Launch Control is slower off the line than the normal 6-Speed. It's way too slow for my liking. The car revs slowly to about 3000RPM then the computer slowly releases the clutch. By that time, I've been smoked by a Toyota Camry!! :(

Agreed on the first part - but thats why the R-Tronic gets L.C. for when you want to nail the 0-60 times properly.

Bit concerned about the second part though!! I have no problems fending off most cars from a standing start in normal Auto mode - let alone any Toyota Camry's !!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more you spend the more fragile things seem to be....

Aston Martin Dealer - You want to drive how many miles per year! I'm afraid they aren't designed for that :(
That's crazy! How can the dealer say that with a straight face!! :confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
A DB9 with Carbon - not so sure. Not that I could actually afford one...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts