1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good
Ride quality for a sports car is amazing
Performance is stunning
SO much attention
Reversing Camera

Bad
R-Tronic jerky on low throttle at low speeds - abandoned and used paddles then fine.

Ugly

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hit enter too soon - Nothing in the ugly section, except perhaps the key ;-)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Good
Ride quality for a sports car is amazing
Performance is stunning
SO much attention
Reversing Camera

Bad
R-Tronic jerky on low throttle at low speeds - abandoned and used paddles then fine.

Ugly
Glad you like it so much! I have had mine for 18 months, I still look forward to driving it and people still wave, smile and take photos everyday. Advice on R-Tronic: don't bother with the auto mode ...I never use it but switch between paddles and the shifter (habit from driving my other car) and find both to be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Swansailor, second day impression? Performance is utterly addictive - I love this car. On the downside, people get amazing close to take a look, one guy nearly rear ended me in his effort to take a look. Have to drive a little more defensively I guess ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What TT ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
it's one of those rare cars where it gets better with time - had mine for just over a year and it's still as much of an occasion getting in and driving the thing at speed as it was at the beginning.

get used to people pulling over to let you pass them - more often than not with their window down to listen to the noise :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sold mine after 11mths... miss it a lot!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do the same with my R-tronic -- all shifts are manual.

I've been away on business so much I have yet to complete the first 600 miles of engine break in. Hopefully this weekend.

How many of you followed the user manual guidance on engine break in?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I would like to think that my low oil consumption is due to a proper break-in. 8,000 miles now.:D

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I would like to think that my low oil consumption is due to a proper break-in. 8,000 miles now.:D
Audi told my service manager recently that in their experience, (properly broken in) R8 and RS4 engines that are consistently "babied" will burn more oil than those engines that are used in a "sportier" manner. This is because the oil-control piston rings in these high-performance engines are selected for lower friction, but as a side effect they do their job of controlling the oil on the cylinder wall better under higher cylinder pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I broke mine in as per the user manual - the engine gets a decent workout most times I drive it. Seems to like a fresh slug of oil every 1,500 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Harrison, I thought you tracked yours - or is that what you mean by properly!! ;-)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hello Ian,I have'nt had a chance to track my cars yet.Sometimes I let my cars idle in the driveway warming up while I clean glass get my things together,have a lemonade,and THEN hit my local road and pretty much stay near red line.Maybe Desparado thinks I didn't let her warm up enough? Let's ask him. You can see a small preview clip at janerinsurance.com/v2.It's only 10 seconds of a three and a half minute video.Desparado can tell you that the speeds in the video are 1/2 the normal speeds I reach.I had to protect my camara man and his equipment.BUT I think the video will please most.It really pleases me!!!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I wasn't trying to imply anything about anyone. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Since it has been a recurring topic of conversation, I was just passing along the info about one more variable that may cause differences in oil consumption from car to car.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Maybe keeping the oil rings under pressure most of the time is helping!! But I agree with you guys @ the rings performing better than at say...idle. maybe an Exclusive So. Cal. R 8's get-together??...real soon??:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know what the right answer is about the break-in and oil consumption. I followed the break-in period instructions pretty much, and I am generally easy on the car. I let the beast out once in a while, but somewhat rarely. Never really find the best opportunities in congested NorCal. If only I was back in Texas or Michigan. At any rate, it only asked for one quart at 2000 miles and I'm close to 15,000 now with my regular service coming up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts