Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My second subjective question of the day :)

My wife likes Ibis white and thinks the Suzuka Grey looks "dirty white" from the photos she can see on the web.

Suzuka Grey comes out looking white most of the time on the web depending on the lighting and the monitor I use to display the photos ... or ... to my wife's point, the car looks "off white" :)

For those that have seen both in person, is my wife correct?

I have two 2017 base R8 options I am evaluating right now. Pretty much the same set of options except the Suzuka Grey has diamond stitching but not contrast stitching (which kind of mutes the impact of the diamond stitching, at least from what we can see on the photos). The general condition and mileage is about the same for both cars.

So, crunch time ... where do I put my cash?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Folks,

My second subjective question of the day :)

My wife likes Ibis white and thinks the Suzuka Grey looks "dirty white" from the photos she can see on the web.

Suzuka Grey comes out looking white most of the time on the web depending on the lighting and the monitor I use to display the photos ... or ... to my wife's point, the car looks "off white" :)

For those that have seen both in person, is my wife correct?

I have two 2017 base R8 options I am evaluating right now. Pretty much the same set of options except the Suzuka Grey has diamond stitching but not contrast stitching (which kind of mutes the impact of the diamond stitching, at least from what we can see on the photos). The general condition and mileage is about the same for both cars.

So, crunch time ... where do I put my cash?
You have to see Suzuka Grey in the flesh, as photos just don’t do it justice. Obviously there are also variables with different cameras and then how photos are seen on different displays.

Suzuka Grey does look like an off white when it’s overcast, but I wouldn’t say dirty.

I have an Ibis White 2017 Spyder and love the colour, but currently looking to update to Plus version of the same car (either 2018/early 2019) and holding out for Suzuka Grey in the right spec.
It’s all personal preference of course, but I’d go Suzuka Grey if you have the choice.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
A friend of mine had an Ibis white V8 and traded it for a Suzuka grey V10 gen2. He prefers the Suzuka, it's metallic and a bit richer. Like most colours, it looks great when its clean!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had about 5 whitish cars in my life and my favorite was the Starfire pearl and glacier frost mica that was offered on the Lexus is350. From what I can see, Suzuka is very similar to the glacier frost mica which is a greyish white metallic color. That would be the color I would get over ibis if ibis is just a white color. Does ibis have a pearl to it? If not, suzuka I'd the color to go with in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Ibis and Suzuka side by side. As others have said, you need to see Suzuka as the pictures don't do it justice. (Mine is the Ibis) :)

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V8 Manual
29 Posts

I think this answers the question of where you should put your money 😉.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Suzuka 100%. It looks amazing in the sun and it seems it's the most desirable color which will help resale value. You definitely need to see the color in person. You can't tell at all on the internet how nice it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Suzuka grey RS7. It's night and day comparing it to ibis white, way more more beautiful. Especially in the dark with limited lightning, it almost turns in to nardo grey. You will not regret it!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the responses. Trev450, that photo really helps.

My wife and I found an Audi dealership with cars that have some of the paint colors we are considering. We were able to see Florette Silver, Daytona Gray, Ibis White, and Suzuka Gray on a sunny day fairly close to each other (within eyesight).

My wife likes Ibis White better, but is now "ok" with the Suzuka Gray and leaves the choice up to me. Yay ! :cool:

If anyone else has an opinion, feel free to chime in. It does help .... This will be my first and probably only sports car (I'm 58) so I am really sweating and second guessing myself ...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Naz R8 and kipkarel, thanks for the feedback. I have seen exactly two Suzuka Gray cars in person. One gen1 R8 under florescent interior lighting at an independent dealership and a new Q8 in bright sunlight at an Audi dealer yesterday.

The fluorescent lights didn't make Suzuka Gray look bad, but the heavily blue tinted light just made it look white.

As for the sunlight scenario yesterday, it was really interesting.

By itself (not looking at cars around it), the Suzuka Gray Q8 had a different character depending on the angle of the sun with respect to the car and my eyes.

If the light is bouncing off the Q8 to my eyes, the color was very light. Just slightly greyer than white and clearly a shiny metallic paint.

If the sun was behind me, the Q8 Suzuka Gray looked like a light gray 'flat' paint rather than metallic.

If I look at the shaded sides of Q8, the paint almost looks like a very light blue-white.

Very interesting changes in character based on the lighting angles.

And by itself, the Q8 doesn't really look that grey. But if I stepped back so that an Ibis White Q5 a couple of cars down the row comes into view, then the Ibis white looks like a very bright white and the Suzuka Gray is clearly different and is a light Gray.

Very interesting...

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Suzuka Grey is very light sensitive, and on a good to normal lighting condition it will look white. However, as long as there is an overcast, as in the pic posted above, it will started to look a bit grey. Below is a photo of my 2017 Suzuka Grey from the dealer under normal lighting condition and will be brighter with a bit more sun.
2017 Audi R8 Spyder Suzuka Grey.jpg
2017 Audi R8 Spyder Suzuka Grey With Sun.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, you guys convinced me 😉

I just signed a purchase contract for a 2017 R8 Suzuka Gray V10 with 13K miles on it. Diamond stitch leather package (silver thread), carbon interior and exterior packages, dynamic steering, 20" wheel package and red brake calipers.

It is going to take a couple of weeks to complete the purchase process (including PPI) and have the car shipped from Cleveland, Ohio to Dallas, TX. It is going to be a long two+ weeks. I have waited for 35 years to be able/ready to buy my first sports car, so I guess I will survive another couple of weeks 😉

·
Registered
2017 R8 Spyder
55 Posts
Congrats. Now the waiting game begins...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’m biased but my Suzuka car gets lots more attention than ibis. It’s best on a overcast day or evening when it truly turns a unicorn color.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trev450, would you mind sharing the photo of the row of R8's with different paint colors via email? The r8talk website converts it to a different format and reduced the resolution to save space. I would really like to have a full resolution version of the photo.

I'll send you a private message with my email address. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Trev450, would you mind sharing the photo of the row of R8's with different paint colors via email? The r8talk website converts it to a different format and reduced the resolution to save space. I would really like to have a full resolution version of the photo.

I'll send you a private message with my email address. Thanks in advance.
Done. (y)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts