Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Great photo. Probably good memories to go with it!

Driving the length of the Tale of the Dragon is on my bucket list. My R8 should get shipped from Ohio sometime next week. It's tough to wait ....

Thanks for sharing. The car looks even better "in the wild" :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Craig,

I just made this photo the background on my computer screen :)

Next, I need to drive the trail myself so I can replace your fantastic photo with one of my own.

·
Registered
2012 - R8 GT #232 - Suzuka Gray
35 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.
ibis white is clean but Suzuka Grey is just totally different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi Folks, It took 2 weeks to complete the remote purchase process (replace tires, fix road rash on front rims, PPI, fedex paperwork back and forth and meet with a notary public) and to have the car transported to Texas. Of course, it arrives right before a winter apocalypse arrives in Texas so I haven't been able to drive it due to all of the salt and sand on the roads and the generally crappy road conditions (ice and snow).

Here are a couple of delivery photos, followed by a couple of beauty shots and some photos of my first ever sports car sitting in my garage (I have waited 35 years for this!).

I figure if tech geeks can have an unboxing video for new tech equipment, I can do the same for my new R8 :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Now for a couple of beauty shots in front of the house. Note that it is about 22F when these photos were taken. And since Pirelli says that you shouldn't drive on these tires at temperatures below 45F, I only drove it into the alley behind my house and into the garage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Now for some photos of my new R8 in my garage. Yes, I said it ... in MY GARAGE !!! Yee-haw! (as they say around these parts :cool: )

Last month, I had the garage repaired, painted, and epoxy coated the garage floor (which is why the garage looks so neat and empty).

That is my new-to-me 2016 Cayenne on the right and my wife's 2013 RX350 to the left. What a difference in car heights! As they say, by the time you can afford a car like the R8, you won't be able to get in or out of it :-(

And of course, an obligatory shot of the engine through the rear glass :)

That's a reflection of my hand and phone in the shot. Do you think I could have a second career as a hand model ? :p

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Congrats, lovely car. The waiting is over but now you have the weather to deal with. Hope you are a patient person.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Well done. Looks great. You can see a lot more detail in the wheel design with the polished finished than you can in black.

I only fully appreciated how low the R8 was when one passed me in the opposite direction a few months after I bought mine. It was the white v10 that Trev450 is now driving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
And ... I couldn't resist driving it around the block at 22 degrees F, even though Pirelli says you shouldn't do it because your tires might crack.

Guess what happened in the first test drive?

I bought this car from a Porsche dealer in Beachwood, Ohio. They had the oil changed at the nearby Audi dealer. Who apparently overfilled the oil.

Since I live less than a mile from an Audi dealer, I drove it straight to the service department at the Audi dealer in Plano, Texas. It has been indoors at the Audi dealer since then while we waited for the winter apocalypse here in North Texas to come to an end. Apparently, the oil sensors on R8's are finicky and they have to remove oil and drive the car over and over again until the sensor is happy (according to the Service Rep). Let me know if there is a better way to get the oil level right. So I had possession of the R8 for less than 2 hours and had to take it to the dealer on the first "around the block" test drive. I am one sad, sad puppy 🐶

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Alright Trev450, now it's time to make me wish I had bought an Ibis White V10 Plus that was for sale in Austin, Tx. What I mean is that it's time for you to post a few photos of your new toy too :)

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Stephen I am always looking for excuses to post pictures of my car, but I'm not sure why you refer to it as my 'new toy' as I've owned it for over 4 years.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I don't believe the sensors are finicky per se; the engine is just sensitive to overfilling - from memory the volume between top and bottom of the scale is less than a quart. If they can remove some oil easily it should not take them too long to get it right; I'd be interested to know from where they drain it if you can ask them when you collect. Yes you have to let the engine run for a while or take a drive before you can see the oil level reading. Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.

Going forward always measure the oil out on an oil drain. I fill up with 7 litres which results in the message to add more oil car driveable, then add in 200-300ml increments, driving a short distance to see the oil level meter. The oil change volume should be 8.3L and on the two occasions I changed it was spot on. Never add a full litre / quart in one go if the oil is at the lower end of the range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can see the difference in color between your R8 and Porsche in that garage shot. Both look good, but Suzuka for the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Stephen I am always looking for excuses to post pictures of my car, but I'm not sure why you refer to it as my 'new toy' as I've owned it for over 4 years.
Sorry Trev450, I confused you with someone else who bought a Ibis White V10 Plus in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Audi overfilled mine by this much not sure what these dealers are up to View attachment 259253
I suspect that the Audi dealer service departments in smaller markets have less experience with R8 oil changes (speculation on my part).

I bet they rely on the oil capacity listed in the manual instead of measuring the amount of oil that is drained and then replacing that amount.

There is always some oil that is not recovered during an oil change and if the dealer refills with the 'specified' oil capacity based volume of oil, they will overfill it.

Again, this is just speculation on my part.

How do you guys remove small quantities of oil?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I don't believe the sensors are finicky per se; the engine is just sensitive to overfilling - from memory the volume between top and bottom of the scale is less than a quart. If they can remove some oil easily it should not take them too long to get it right; I'd be interested to know from where they drain it if you can ask them when you collect. Yes you have to let the engine run for a while or take a drive before you can see the oil level reading. Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.

Going forward always measure the oil out on an oil drain. I fill up with 7 litres which results in the message to add more oil car driveable, then add in 200-300ml increments, driving a short distance to see the oil level meter. The oil change volume should be 8.3L and on the two occasions I changed it was spot on. Never add a full litre / quart in one go if the oil is at the lower end of the range.
If you have to remove a small amount of oil, how would you recommend to do it?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts