Audi R8 Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you have to remove a small amount of oil, how would you recommend to do it?
Nearly two quarts is not a small amount. I had to put the car on my own lift and drain it from the tank.
Tampa Bay is not a small market. Dozens of R8s here. Let’s call it shmedium

·
Registered
Switzer GTR, Protomotive 996TT, RS4, 17 Suzuka R8
53 Posts
If you have to remove a small amount of oil, how would you recommend to do it?
I believe you can buy some oil pumps to remove oil if you can't drain out.

Maybe use a spray nozzle that is long enough to get down into the oil and pump (spray) out? Would need to make sure that the nozzle head and neck are clean as you don't want to introduce particles into the oil.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S, 2018 R8 V10 Plus
21 Posts
Alright Trev450, now it's time to make me wish I had bought an Ibis White V10 Plus that was for sale in Austin, Tx. What I mean is that it's time for you to post a few photos of your new toy too :)
Hi @eehome - it was me that bought the Ibis White V10 Plus in Austin a few weeks back. I was also hit with frigid temps and snow here in STL so have barely had an opportunity to drive it since bringing it home. I'm getting it detailed top to bottom next week and then will post pics. Interestingly, I got the "please reduce oil level" message too. It popped up AFTER driving it 12 hours and over 600 miles, which baffles me, but have an appointment tomorrow at local Audi dealership to get it corrected. That said, I absolutely love it (as does my 17 year old son!). So many stares and thumbs up and I have barely driven it. Can't wait for it to permanently warm up as it will become my daily driver.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hi @eehome - it was me that bought the Ibis White V10 Plus in Austin a few weeks back. I was also hit with frigid temps and snow here in STL so have barely had an opportunity to drive it since bringing it home. I'm getting it detailed top to bottom next week and then will post pics. Interestingly, I got the "please reduce oil level" message too. It popped up AFTER driving it 12 hours and over 600 miles, which baffles me, but have an appointment tomorrow at local Audi dealership to get it corrected. That said, I absolutely love it (as does my 17 year old son!). So many stares and thumbs up and I have barely driven it. Can't wait for it to permanently warm up as it will become my daily driver.
Hi Jeremyf0923 ... yeah, I remembered it was you "after" Trev450 let me know I was confused :)

My R8 was stuck at the dealer during the Texas winter weather apocalypse. I just recovered it yesterday and got to drive it for the first time yesterday.

Man, is this puppy fast! It's the base model, but it's still wickedly quick. I measured 0-60mph of 3.05 seconds without launch control using an instrument I borrowed from a buddy (I forget what it was called). The quoted performance is definitely conservative.

It is interesting how the R8's behavior is modulated by the driving mode. Comfort mode smooths out the driving experience, shocks are in a more compliant mode, no overruns for rev matching during down shifts, the transmission is quick to move to higher gears to reduce noise and improve fuel economy. For example, the R8 will end up in 7th gear at 40+ mph when in comfort mode. Switch the mode into dynamic and it's a very different experience. The suspension stiffens and the transmission stays in lower gears for improved response/performance. Example: at 40mph, the transmission is in 5th gear and doesn't upshift. The throttle automatically blips for rev-matching when decelerating and traversing down through the lower gears.

On the oil overfill topic: The dealer service advisor says that the sensor will not always report an overfill situation immediately if the overfill is borderline, so it sometimes will not report the problem right away. He also stated that a minor overfill does not pose the potential for engine problems, but a significant overfill can create problems (he did not elaborate).

Of course, even though the dealer kept my car indoors during the poor winter weather, it collected a lot of dust and needs to be cleaned now. So ... now I need to learn how to clean it myself :)

Glad to hear that you love your R8!

81 - 86 of 86 Posts