Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Its hit or miss with mac’s
my friend had a 570 and cylinder head cracked ...11k miles on the car.
But he likes macs and leased a720 on a real good terms ...since mclaren wanted to make him happy ...
since the car took a siht.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have no plans to sell my R8 but the latest version of the Ford GT really would look great in my garage. Unfortunately the prices have gone stratospheric so shall have to keep wishing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just a "what if" question: IF you were to trade in your R8, what would you want to get and why? I have a 2015 V10+ which I love but as I get older I'm not as flexible as I once was. Getting into/out of it requires me to do it "side saddle" which isn't the coolest way to be seen accessing or exiting this gorgeous car. Doubt I will trade it in any time soon but I did test the 2021 M5 Comp and that car is pretty awesome! The 2021 GT4 was also a fun and beautiful car but those bolstered seats were a slipped disc waiting to happen. Also, the gearing issue is real. IMHO, Would be a great track car but not a fun daily driver. What do you think?
Nothing wrong with the side saddle swing:pI am a performer myself since being a tall guy and room in my Spyder is limited.
I will stop driving if I am incapable to drive my R8....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm never selling my gated V10 but if I did, the next logical step up for me would be a manual 6spd 991.2 GT3 or 991 PDK GT3 RS. As dominating as turbocharged engines are, I absolutely love the sounds of a naturally aspirated high revving motor. Smiles per hour over miles per hour any day!
My next goal is to buy a pure track weapon like a BAC Mono to complement the GT-ish supercar R8. Lofty dream but eyes on the prize! Just gotta hustle even harder!

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
I had 2 R8's starting in 2009, then in 2016 when time for something new was only one real option since I like my R8's so much, it's big brother, Huracan 610. That car was by far the best car I ever owned, then last year made a mistake when after 3 years with it decided to go in a different direction and bought a 488. Car didnt feel right for me from the very start so after less than a year started looking for something different. First plan was to order a 2021 R8 Spyder Performance but while waiting for order book to open I came across a Lamborghini Evo Spyder AWD and bought that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just like the other guy I always eyeball the McLaren 720S. I've driven the 570S and 650S. The 650S "drives" better than the R8 Gen 2 V10 Plus. The 570S is a wannabe not a fan. Goes fast in a straight line but otherwise "meh."

I've heard my fair share of horror stories on the McLaren cars too but I feel most (not all) are centered around the first generation cars (MP4, 650S, etc.). Not so much on the 720S.

Reactions: ervikingo

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm never selling my gated V10 but if I did, the next logical step up for me would be a manual 6spd 991.2 GT3 or 991 PDK GT3 RS. As dominating as turbocharged engines are, I absolutely love the sounds of a naturally aspirated high revving motor. Smiles per hour over miles per hour any day!
My next goal is to buy a pure track weapon like a BAC Mono to complement the GT-ish supercar R8. Lofty dream but eyes on the prize! Just gotta hustle even harder!
Have a V10+ manual and added a 991.2 3 RS WP. The RS is the most competent car I’ve driven handling wise, but the drive feel is less unique than the gen 1 V10 imo. If I had to give up one the RS would go first, as it’s more easily replicated and available. I’m keeping the RS because it’s much more usable as a softer daily with auto, which is the void I wanted filled.

Comparing apples to apples, the only car that could replace the R8 would be a gated LP gallardo. Gated 430 is significantly slower. Gated Merci sounds amazing at the expense of size and weight. Huracan and 458, while great cars, cannot be had gated. A friend with a 458 says the power delivery and engine feedback transmitted through the sw are very similar as the R8. Of course the rwd 458 is more nimble.

I’m sure everyone here knows all these specs and differences, but I too had a grass is greener moment and listed the R8 for sale. My dream came true when I finally woke up and no one had purchased it. The more cars I consider and drive, only further highlights how special the gated V10 really is.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
"If I were to trade in my R8 I would get..." a CAT-scan to see what's wrong with me. :)

But in all seriousness, two ways to answer this question: (1) what I'd personally do, and (2) what may work for the OP's situation.

For myself, personally, I'd buy something Italian that would crumble into 20 pieces and likely make me scream at it in foreign tongues. I've been in love with the 355 since it first arrived (and I was too young to drive no less buy a Ferrari). I can easily go buy one to "add" to the garage, but quite literally, I can't "add" it to the garage as I have no more space. So that's been a good practical inhibitor for a while... we'll see how long that excuse holds. Alternatively, if I was going to spend stupid money, it would probably be a 458 Speciale - I think time will declare this one as the pinnacle of the V8 Ferrari, being the best looking (since the 355) and the last naturally aspirated. Short of the Ferrari options (which both lost out to the R8 when I bought it!), the Huracan would be the more practical Italian option on my list.

Now, as for the OP... this is a tough one. The M5... it would leave you disappointed. Being a life-long BMW driver, I'm disappointed in BMW these days. The passion and design is gone. The latest M5 is a far cry from the days of the E39. While I'd admittedly consider one as a daily driver (because, well I need a daily driver), I could in no-way consider it a "replacement" for the experience of a real sports car. These are luxo-barges (they're huge these days), and the sound of the fake engine noises, muffled turbo engine, electric steering, 900 nanny systems... it's all so detached. Yes, blazing fast... but there's no joy in driving it, just a nice place to get from point A to B.

I said this on another thread (jokingly... but with some seriousness behind it) recently, but if I were considering a new daily (sedan) at this moment, I'd seriously be considering doing something radical like rebuilding a D3 S8 V10. This is a truly beautiful looking car, and at least with a NA V10 under the hood, it's interesting and sounds wonderful. You could pick one up for under $20k and spend $30k - $40k doing something truly amazing to it, and you'd have something far more interesting (for less) than almost anything in the segment new.

Now, if you wanted to do something in the sports car segment but just not as low or difficult to enter/exit as the R8... I don't know. The R8 is low, but it's not much different than most sports cars in my experience. So, I'd be skeptical of offering up ideas like the 911, which may be a small improvement but meaningless difference at the end of the day. What about something eccentric and still exotic but not necessarily a sports car - such as a Bentley GT? The new ones are ridiculously expensive, but I think they look fantastic - the interiors are exquisite.

Reactions: RNLabas

·
Registered
47 Posts
i wouldnt trade my r8 in for one but i did just pick up an e63 amg yesterday that's been a really nice, fast and comfortable change of pace

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you’re thinking comfy and fast, RS7 is the ticket. Great interior, sounds good with the TT V8, and with a simple tune it’s R8 quick. Plus, I think they look fantastic. I have one in Suzuka Gray, and just a beautiful vehicle in my biased opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Mythos Black
18 Posts
Nothing wrong with the side saddle swing:pI am a performer myself since being a tall guy and room in my Spyder is limited.
I will stop driving if I am incapable to drive my R8....
Both of your excuses are better than mine. I’m just fat and my belly gets in the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you’re thinking comfy and fast, RS7 is the ticket. Great interior, sounds good with the TT V8, and with a simple tune it’s R8 quick. Plus, I think they look fantastic. I have one in Suzuka Gray, and just a beautiful vehicle in my biased opinion.

Went to trade in my 17 RS7 with about 15K for a .2 GT3, was offered 49k. Great car, but depreciation is eye watering.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If we're talking realistically rather than dreaming, then a R8 V10 preferably manual, or possibly a Mclaren 12C/991.1 GT3. Like the Cayman gt4 and the Jag f-type but not quite enough to actually buy one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If we're talking realistically rather than dreaming, then a R8 V10 preferably manual, or possibly a Mclaren 12C/991.1 GT3. Like the Cayman gt4 and the Jag f-type but not quite enough to actually buy one.
do not buy an f type... i had an R last year, terrible car. looks amazing but the transmission terribly lets it down. it had been sitting on the showroom for 18 months. they just dont sell

·
Registered
47 Posts

def great choice. it was between a suzuka gray rs7 in texas and a cardinal red e63 in florida for me and i ultimately bought the MB last week. i hope to one day own an rs7

·
Registered
92 Posts
Went to trade in my 17 RS7 with about 15K for a .2 GT3, was offered 49k. Great car, but depreciation is eye watering.
Agree with that for sure. I bought mine used with 44k miles so the bulk of the hit has taken place already. I would say depreciation is consistent with the other German competitors in this type vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since my R8 is used for casual pleasure, I would go for a Ferrari or maybe a Mclaren. Reliability and running costs are not that important since mileage will be low. I am primarily into bikes and this where I spend most of my spare time so my fun cars are used for local errands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Honestly, if money weren't an issue I would Keep my R8, put up with the acrobatic maneuvers and use it as a week end/nice day (few in Upstate NY) driver and get a 2-3 year old RS7/63 AMG. My current DD is a 2004 4.4 BMW X5 in Imola (special order color) with 165k miles! Looks almost new even though its 16 yo. having the X5 ( paid for with reasonable up keep costs) allows me to keep me in my R8 and will let my wife trade her current 2013 TTRS in for a 2021 TTRS in special order Porsche Chalk. I make a good living but not McLaren good! But if/when it dies, I will be getting a sport sedan as DD but that will be another conversation/thread! :)

21 - 40 of 89 Posts