Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
WOW - I feel like the only guy here who likes to STOP and go around corners - I LOVE the RS7 but while they CAN be made to go quickly - even MUCH more quickly than my porr old R8 (and me) - it's a virtual pig to stop more than once and cornering ? For more than TWO tons not bad, but no R8. I'm with ez here - give me the CAT Scan - or, let me just sell it to myself unwittingly and in a few days of recovering sanity, buy it back from myself and call it a win-win ...

If I should get there before you do, just tell me to wait a minute - I'll be right back ...

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
WOW - I feel like the only guy here who likes to STOP and go around corners - I LOVE the RS7 but while they CAN be made to go quickly - even MUCH more quickly than my porr old R8 (and me) - it's a virtual pig to stop more than once and cornering ? For more than TWO tons not bad, but no R8. I'm with ez here - give me the CAT Scan - or, let me just sell it to myself unwittingly and in a few days of recovering sanity, buy it back from myself and call it a win-win ...

If I should get there before you do, just tell me to wait a minute - I'll be right back ...
I'm with you Roger. I've never owned or will own a lardy-arsed car. The fun is to be had in the curves not the straights and that requires something nimble.

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd jump into a 650S and then have it break and then ruin a year of my life bitching on McLaren forums.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Go drive an RS7 Performance. Most are the Prestige (base) model. The carbon ceramics definitely pull this car down from speed. The regular RS7 brakes I agree are mushy as hell. It can handle and hide it's weight rather well but agreed it's no sports car. It's a fat ballerina that can dance. Playful platform.

Reactions: RNLabas

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Go drive an RS7 Performance. Most are the Prestige (base) model. The carbon ceramics definitely pull this car down from speed. The regular RS7 brakes I agree are mushy as hell. It can handle and hide it's weight rather well but agreed it's no sports car. It's a fat ballerina that can dance. Playful platform.
I have, the ceramics help to be sure, but in the end, I have ceramics on my R8 too and mass is well, mass...for corners or brakes : like you said - a fat ballerina that can dance. And it IS playful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just an opinion here, but most drivers are completely incapable or unwilling to push their cars anywhere near the limits. I’m all about sports cars and pushing them hard on the corners, but most drivers are not anywhere close to limits of a vehicle with typical driving behaviors. Personally, I wouldn’t want to just have the RS7, but believe it handles beyond most drivers willingness to push the car towards its limits. Obviously, my R8 is much easier to drive fast through the corners than the RS7. However, I would argue most owners aren’t anywhere close to reaching limits of their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I see the RS7 and GTR popping up.

GTR is no where near the level of a Gen 2 R8. Over a Gen 1 yes I'd take the GT-R. It's a glorified Mitsubishi Evo with a "tad" amount of refinement. Personally I just don't own more than two cars at a time. Had a baby swapped out GTR for RS7. Don't miss the GTR really at all. The V6 engine note is not that great at all. The transmission is awful in the GTR.

GTR with FBO (full bolt ons) on pump 93 based on my VBOX is pretty much a neck and neck race from a roll. E85 it will walk away. Problem with GTR is it's exponentially expensive past basic bolt ons to make the car any faster. $7,000 will get you to low 10s at mid 130s but beyond that it's $50,000+.

RS7 is one of those "ultimate daily drivers." Sure you'll take a slight hit on the price at some point but pay to play. We love ours and for baby transportation duties (why we sold GTR) it's extremely spacious. E63 I like more but less rear room for a baby seat. Porsche Panamera just as good for rear space but cost of entry much higher and I think it's uglier.

RS7 with a tune will hang right there with the Gen 2 R8 V10 Plus. 10.5 @ 131 for R8, 10.8 @ 128.7 for the RS7. 0-60 only off by three tenths (2.5 R8 2.8 RS7). The video below is software alone otherwise stock. Plus, there's much more affordable modification pathways for the RS7 to make it easily faster than a naturally aspirated V10 R8 of any model/generation.

Friend got the hit and I followed along in Mexico in the RS7. Barely can pull away at best...
I’ve always liked the unique exhaust note of the GTR. It’s an iconic car in my book. I see many people crossing over for Mexico drives. Are there any benefits or risks compared to the states, such as speeding, police, etc?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Alpine A110 but I see it as a step down / no manual gearbox. Or a 997.2GT3 onwards - although this needs a significant step up in price at which point I’d probably buy a gen2 V10 instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Older lotus elise ~2005. After 2 years of r8 v10 gen1 manual, I now want smaller and lower with more of a go-kart feeling. I also have a 2010 M3 coupe manual and have tracked each car only twice now and just felt more comfortable and fun in the M3. The R8 only seemed more capable if I was a more capable driver. I live in socal and I feel the same way when driving around the angeles crest highway and the surrounding area. And when driving around the highways, it feels like I can do more in the M3 because the R8 just accelerates too fast and it almost feels like there's less "fun time". I think with something like a lotus, the overall daily driving experience would be more fulfilling to me. And I like the feeling of being as low to the ground as possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a "what if" question: IF you were to trade in your R8, what would you want to get and why? I have a 2015 V10+ which I love but as I get older I'm not as flexible as I once was. Getting into/out of it requires me to do it "side saddle" which isn't the coolest way to be seen accessing or exiting this gorgeous car. Doubt I will trade it in any time soon but I did test the 2021 M5 Comp and that car is pretty awesome! The 2021 GT4 was also a fun and beautiful car but those bolstered seats were a slipped disc waiting to happen. Also, the gearing issue is real. IMHO, Would be a great track car but not a fun daily driver. What do you think?
I will say Lexus BMW doesn’t worth the money at all it loses value so fast I will go with Lexus rs5 rs7 lose value too but rs7 is good BMW drink oil like water they bring everyday

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 RS6. You still get the power, but get the amazing air ride and space. Plus looks stunning IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I actually contemplated a trade last summer for a 2020 R8, but the offer i got from the dealer for a 2012 V10 6MT made me walk out of the place!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some good mentions here. I know looks are subjective, but I just can't get past the looks of GTR... butt ugly to me. Only car that comes to mind to replace the R8 right now is the new NSX

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a 2020 R8 V10 Performance that I like quite a lot. I also have a 2020 Nissan GTR that is tuned and bolt-ons which it produces about 740 hp at the crank. I have had the car for 14 months and enjoyed it immensely; however being the car nut that I am I have this week traded the car for a slightly used 2020 BMW M8 Competition with only 2k miles.
In the recent past I have owned a BMW M4, AMG C63s, Audi TTRS and a Corvette Z06. My favorite has been overall the GTR.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts