Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you're a manual fan, is it enough to have 1 manual in the stable to feed the need?

the reason I ask is I contemplating an r8 v10 purchase and it's getting harder and harder to find 1st gen gated ones and if you do find one they are getting very pricey...

I can almost get a 2017 non plus or a 2018 rws R8 for the same price as a 2012 and up R8 V10 gated, and the former will be much newer car with warranty and a newer platform...

so I am wondering if I should get a more ordinary manual car in the 25k range (like a used wrx or mini) and get the newer r8?

will my thirst for a manual be met with the daily such that I would be ok with the stronic in the r8?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have more than one. I would have all manual if my wife didn't insist on her automatic daily.

Reactions: MonsterR8

·
Super Moderator
6,095 Posts
I was diehard manual driver who up until 2016 never owned anything but a stick in my fun cars, but when Audi took away the stick I moved on to a dual clutch huracan. Found it amazing and shifted so fast that I was sold on it, but still missed having a stick so added a manual Lotus Evora 400. So I say get a newer R8 with stronic and then pick up some fun little manual

·
Registered
63 Posts
All 5 of my cars are manual and all from different decades. Personal preference thing and I always struggled switching back and forth from auto to manual. If you can, go drive a manual R8 back to back with an auto and I think you’ll see they each have a different driving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think it depends on how long you are going to keep a manual and how old you are. I am redoing a 69 camaro and I went with a automatic. I am 52 and I know I will not get rid of either car. I also realize that the older I get, the harder it will be to engage the clutch. Then I look at if I ever get into traffic in either car further down the line. I have bad knees but want to keep driving both. I think it all boils down to personal preference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
2000 Audi TT 225hp 6 speed manual
2013 Audi R8 Spyder V10 S-tronic
1993 Audi cabriolet 2.3l 5 manual
2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI S-tronic

So enough different driving experience for my wife and myself:)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Three cars in my household and all manuals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Three manuals and two automatics, and one of the "automatics" is the DSG in my 2005 TT, which I don't think of like a classic automatic. I think I'd keep the DSG over the 6 speed, which was never even offered here with the V6 option, and the other auto is an '89 300E Benz, which is my daily. Think that is just fine as an auto. But I could make them all manuals and still be happy, but I'd be very unhappy if they all became automatics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
3 manuals (+2 autos) here

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
221 Posts
For awhile I usually had a 911 variant and BMW 3 series variant all manuals (I lived in San Francisco to add another level of difficulty). The rational was always to be driving a stick to stay on top of my game. Unfortunately AMG only made autos tranny and I found myself starting to prefer an auto. As the dual clutch tranny evolved to become more effective than a manual, I made the jump to an R8 Stronic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are four manual cars in this house. A 2012 R8 V10 MT, a 2007 Porsche 997.1tt 6spMT, a 1984 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet, and a 2007 Aston Martin DB9. They are all different enough and all a kick in the you-know-what!!😁

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've seen this question posted on other forums and it always gets an interesting variety of responses. One that I enjoyed was from a poster who was battling the manual fans when he had bought a paddle shifted car. He rightly pointed out that racing technology had migrated from a stick shifting manual gearbox to modern computer aided paddle shifting for a reason. Just like every other advance in automobile technology, it's better. He asked if people still wanted to be hand cranking the car to start it, adjusting spark advance and carb mixture with little levers on the steering wheel just like in the old days, because it was pure and that's how cars were "supposed" to be.

I look at the manual vs paddle or auto shift question as merely a matter of what do you feel like fiddling around with while you are driving. It's a little like arguing the difference between a sailboat and a power boat. They both get you from point a to point b. Each involves different areas of skill and knowledge and they are both fun. Ultimately it would be hard to say one is "better" than the other. It just depends on what you want to do that day.

And for the record, to address the original question. There has typically been a mix of manual and non-manual vehicles in our family. It kind of depends on the intended purpose. I think the next question looming on the horizon will be whether you should have more than one internal combustion powered vehicle or is one enough? Then we will long for the days when we argued over fuel injection vs carburation...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Depends on your usage of the car. I am very glad I didn't get the gated R8 as I have another manual that I drive often. I am very happy with my automatic R8.

·
Registered
2007 AUDI R8 (GATED MANUAL)
769 Posts
Most of my audis are manual but yes...i need another gated r8 but a v10 this time. I’m good with a 2010

·
Registered
74 Posts
i had an e90 m3 and b8.5 s4, both manuals next to my gated v10. i sold them both for an auto e63. i do miss the manual daily but makes me look forward to driving the r8 that much more

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing like rowing the gears through a gated shifter attached to a V10. Pure heaven
I place high value on your views given your experiences with so many different cars....is it fair to say that you would take a gated v10 r8 over a 458?

the 458 seems to be regarded as pretty much the best driving experience in a car ever, so if you would choose a gated R8 over it, that speaks volumes about the value of the gated experience (for those of us who like manuals)...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts