What price would you do it for?

1. Never
2. They'd have to pay me.
3. Zero
4. 10k usd
5. 30k usd
6. 50k usd
7. 100k usd
8. I'd give my Gen 1 away for any discount on Gen 2.

I ask because the question occurred to me - luckily I have no money to contemplate an upgrade.

Despite all the comments on looks all my Gen 1 friends who have driven the Gen 2 call it a spaceship in comparison. So I think techwise there is little doubt.

Danko too has put up a very honest post in which he says he puts up with the looks for the performance. I had been contemplating the same. Further, having now seem it on the road in our town, it is exactly as I thought it would look like. Has presence, but lost subtlety and elegance. Almost an old fashioned in your face supercar. Even the ugly bits are imposing.

Its a bit like appreciating Julia Roberts' older and brawnier sister. Less looks wise but you know she can give Julia a hiding any time.

(And I do not not know if Julia R has an older sister!).

Or for a more masculine comparison, Roger Federer does a new training regime and shows up more Arnie, bulging veins and ripped abs. What happens then to our appreciation of his flowing tennis?

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I will continue to hate the Gen 2 right up till the day I get one

·
Registered
589 Posts
I dont think I would....

if the dispensable cash is there I would probably move on and try a ferrari or mclaren

now if the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is selling at the same price, which is impossible, then that would be a tough choice. Do you want the tech and additional power vs the looks

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Quoting the late Nancy Reagan:

Just say no!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I paid cash for mine and for the hit I would take there is no way I would upgrade right now. I have a feeling the new ones will drop like a rock too after the little bit of newness wears off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I know it will drive and perform better than my 13 plate V10, but the gen 2 is just not doing it for me, I think the gen 2 looks a little like a Noble from the side? must be the way the roof slopes right down to the very rear of the car, also looks very like a new TT from head on whereas the gen 1 looked so wide when approaching you.

There is actually nothing out there that I fancy at the moment, I put in a letter of intent for a Porsche GT4 then got bumped when regular customers also applied so told them to 'do one', I should have taken them to court as a GT3 owner did when he got bumped for a 'more important customer, the judge said Porsche were in the wrong and awarded 'substantial damages'

May go VW Golf R420 if it ever appears :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
:p such a way with words simpleman...lol:D
i wouldn't do it for any amount of money....period.. it doesn't hold a candle in my book...this is my last R8 ever...:p

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
The Gen 2 is like the plain girl who is very smart but not as attractive as her super hot not that smart hot Gen 1 younger sister, but is amazing in bed. After awhile you will get bored with that sexy looking sister and want what the plain looking one can offer you

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Gen 2 is like the plain girl who is not as attractive as her super hot Gen 1 younger sister, but is amazing in bed. After awhile you will get bored with that sexy looking sister and want what the plain looking one can offer you
oh my, another character with a way with words.....lol Ok i'll have to flip this in my way of understanding.. So, it would be like that one weekend I would spend with the "bad boy" who is tall & loaded with muscles and has a shaved chest and beautiful blue/green eyes and dark hair but when he speaks, his voice has the sound of a young high school age boy with a squeak and utters words like "rad" "sic" etc, so i tell him to shut up and don't speak... but then i run off and marry a nerd with thinning hair, a not so tall with a small round tummy guy who is borderline genius on every subject, can work with his hands, fix my computer, washing machine and work on my car...?? kinda like that? Whew, i think i understand now....:p hmm

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Yep, just like that but you might as well make him rich also

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ah yes!! Two pots of gold is always better than one! I am kinda independent but i hear ya!����

·
Registered
326 Posts
I personally wouldn't change, the price difference is way to much ,the looks are not good , the tech may be better but if it don't look good what is the point, surely a quick great looking car is far better than a very quick ugly dull car.
Here in the uk. There is a lot for sale and look to be dropping in price quickly, personally I don't think they are selling to well.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I'm just waiting to see one in person to decided since I just don't know what to get next. To get a Huracan loaded with as much CF as new Plus has you are looking at almost $100k more so I still think the R8 Plus is a bargain in the Supercar market. The changes I have recenley made are buying me some time at least since I feel like I'm driving a new car. Supercharger gives me more power than new Plus, the white gauges give it a refreshed look and P3 vent gauge a little more modern tech.
a4.jpg

w1.jpg

p3d.jpg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Gen 2 is like the plain girl who is not as attractive as her super hot Gen 1 younger sister, but is amazing in bed. After awhile you will get bored with that sexy looking sister and want what the plain looking one can offer you
oh my, another character with a way with words.....lol Ok i'll have to flip this in my way of understanding.. So, it would be like that one weekend I would spend with the "bad boy" who is tall & loaded with muscles and has a shaved chest and beautiful blue/green eyes and dark hair but when he speaks, his voice has the sound of a young high school age boy with a squeak and utters words like "rad" "sic" etc, so i tell him to shut up and don't speak... but then i run off and marry a nerd with thinning hair, a not so tall with a small round tummy guy who is borderline genius on every subject, can work with his hands, fix my computer, washing machine and work on my car...?? kinda like that? Whew, i think i understand now....
hmm
You don't need a thin pot bellied nerd to work on your car.

Ever heard of the Boss?

http://www.vevo.com/watch/bruce-springsteen/im-on-fire/USSM20100484

·
Registered
27 Posts
Drove the Gen 2 and the performance is not worth the edgy look. I will have my 15 for a few years to come. Love the V8 manual.

·
Registered
162 Posts
2016-03-08-15-41-03.jpg

Simpleman um no, the boss is not hot...i had this guy in mind..heheh :) he can work on my car anytime..

·
Registered
505 Posts
I will continue to hate the Gen 2 right up till the day I get one
I'll still hate it even when I get the gen 2 lol.

Non plus white on red interior would be my pick

However I think the spider will look awesome as no bubbly roof line or spilt sideblades

1 - 20 of 78 Posts