Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, before I take my lazy azz to the dealer, any suggestions on getting a key? How many should I be in possession of? How much I should expect to pay?
When I purchased the car, I was provided with only one flip out type key fob. Not sure how many had originally come with the car, but I'd assume at least two regular keys? Maybe a valet? Anyway, I know myself and I'm definitely going to misplace the only key I have and I really don't look forward to being in such a position...

My Fob has 4 Buttons total and is marked: HLO, DE 420 837 220 A, HELLA 315MHz, 5FA009272-35 H2.4/S1.1, FCC ID: NBG009272T, IC: 2694A-009272T, 12S.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealer quoted $480 for both key and programming, I found an indie that said they could do it for $450, so not much of a savings

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
As Dave says, 2 keys and 1 valet.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
On another point only a dealer can supply and program the new key, and here you have to prove that you are the owner of the car too.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Unfortunately replacing a lost key is like an insurance company's dream - pay low, recover high. Keys are not cheap in the first place, about $225, But the 'programming' is a joke. You DO need to have ALL the keys you want programmed at the same time, but the procedure is fast and simple. Most dealers will charge a set fee for this as it makes them a few bucks, and that fee is usually an easy keystone or 2 or 3 or more - Audi is NOT unique for this, shoot a friend's daughter just had to pay a freaking Kia dealer more than $150 for the 'programming' of a new key. Stealers just figure if you're dumb or careless enough to loose a key, you should pay well to replace it. The actual time to 'program' keys is about 10 minutes or less ... so at flat $150, that's about $900 an hour - a bad joke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts