Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I was just making an account before I make the plunge into another car to ask a few questions.
I have decided that I’ll be picking up an Audi R8 gen 2 but can’t decide on a few things
Is there a good reason to stay away from a higher mileage v10 plus (say 30k) over a lower mileage non-plus model.

The other question is about dynamic steering, I know there’s a few threads about it already. But I do get out to the track a few times a month and am slightly concerned about heavy track work and the dynamic steering option.

This will be a nice weather daily driver, but will see a lot of track work.
I currently have a ETS pro 1400 GTR that needs to be retired from heavy abuse.

If y’all have any feedback on which direction to go, I’d much appreciate the insight. And I look forward to joining the crew soon.
-Ramen

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Condition and history are far more important than mileage. These cars are typically German and will take high miles so long as they are serviced correctly and looked after. There is also a train of thought that suggests that the ones that are driven regularly give less trouble than the ones that sit in garages.

Can't help with the dynamic steering question sorry but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have dynamic steering on my R8 plus. Keep in mind that if you go to performance mode (and dynamic?) it goes to 1:1 ratio so is disabled. Love it for round town though.

Enjoy and like the others say - make sure the service book is good and do a full inspection before buying and worry less about miles. Good spec and taken care of car is more important imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hello everyone!
I was just making an account before I make the plunge into another car to ask a few questions.
I have decided that I’ll be picking up an Audi R8 gen 2 but can’t decide on a few things
Is there a good reason to stay away from a higher mileage v10 plus (say 30k) over a lower mileage non-plus model.

The other question is about dynamic steering, I know there’s a few threads about it already. But I do get out to the track a few times a month and am slightly concerned about heavy track work and the dynamic steering option.

This will be a nice weather daily driver, but will see a lot of track work.
I currently have a ETS pro 1400 GTR that needs to be retired from heavy abuse.

If y’all have any feedback on which direction to go, I’d much appreciate the insight. And I look forward to joining the crew soon.
-Ramen
There's a bunch of us previous GT-R guys over here. I daily mine it has 23,000 miles and climbing. I've taken it to Sebring and to autocross events. There's nothing wrong with the mileage.

I'd be worried about a low mileage car moreso. Less miles = less chance of finding something wrong with the car and now with a car coming out of warranty that's not good.

The V10 plus is the better car cut and dry than a base. Those who have the base will swear OMG just tune it blah blah blah but if you want to track the car and have proper gearing (it matches the Huracan's gearing rather than being stupid tall), carbon fiber aero bits, carbon ceramic brakes, and the exhaust button on wheel along with performance mode you'll need the V10 Plus.

Dynamic steering stay away. I found it's another thing between you and the tires and makes the steering more numb.

When I had them both...anyways welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking forward to joining the v10 game.
And thanks for the advice so far. So it seems that a 20-30k mile R8 plus is worth it over a lower mileage shade as long as it has been cared for. I’ll get a shop to do a PPI on the car, but is there anything to look out for besides checking the Carfax for maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a bunch of us previous GT-R guys over here. I daily mine it has 23,000 miles and climbing. I've taken it to Sebring and to autocross events. There's nothing wrong with the mileage.

I'd be worried about a low mileage car moreso. Less miles = less chance of finding something wrong with the car and now with a car coming out of warranty that's not good.

The V10 plus is the better car cut and dry than a base. Those who have the base will swear OMG just tune it blah blah blah but if you want to track the car and have proper gearing (it matches the Huracan's gearing rather than being stupid tall), carbon fiber aero bits, carbon ceramic brakes, and the exhaust button on wheel along with performance mode you'll need the V10 Plus.

Dynamic steering stay away. I found it's another thing between you and the tires and makes the steering more numb.

When I had them both...anyways welcome to the forum.
Good to see people are happy with these even after the GTR’s

I’m actually keeping my GTR to help stop me from sending it to Dallas performance for a stage 3 kit. I’ll just do bolt on turbos once the warranty is up.

In terms of handling. I added JRZ suspension to my GTR for track work. Do the stock units do a good enough job, or should I go ahead and order a set of the KW Variant 4’s?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The Plus comes with passive dampers that are firmer than the mag rides fitted to the base model so you may find them adequate for track use. If you decide to go onto coilovers it may be worth speaking with Scott at Ahlman Performance - www.AhlmanPerformance.com as he has done a lot of development with Ohlins for the R8.

Reactions: dus10reed

·
Registered
234 Posts

I’m actually keeping my GTR to help stop me from sending it to Dallas performance for a stage 3 kit. I’ll just do bolt on turbos once the warranty is up.

In terms of handling. I added JRZ suspension to my GTR for track work. Do the stock units do a good enough job, or should I go ahead and order a set of the KW Variant 4’s?
Yep left the GTR world for the R8 V10+ about two months ago and super happy. I don't miss the GTR one bit.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Try it out and you'll know from there. I enjoyed it on Sebring. My only gripe was I went with Pilot 4S tires and while they grip well I can exploit their limits on the track quickly on something like the R8.

As someone else said, yes the Plus has a FIXED suspension whereas the BASE has magnetic ride. I think in 2018 and definitely in 2020 that changed but in 2017 this was the case for USA cars only (Euro/Canada got mag ride 2017 Plus cars). Weird...I know.

Yep left the GTR world for the R8 V10+ about two months ago and super happy. I don't miss the GTR one bit.
GT-R I had my fair share of fun but it's a rattling **** box. The GR6 transmission is like a grandma compared to the R8/Huracan's DCT. The GT-R DCT is loud, clunky, and slow to shift. Both platforms can be as fast as you want to empty your wallet. The only plus to the GT-R is the extra storage for passengers (barely) and cargo (although you'd be surprised what the R8 can hold). Otherwise the R8 has more road presence, better features/amenities (at least for Gen 2), and a way better exhaust note. V10 is a dream to just rev it up. Also, naturally aspirated power is great. My GT-R was "only" FBO E85 so similar speed to V10 Plus (which ran mid 10s stock). GT-R on stock turbos felt laggy going back and forth between them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While the comments about the GR6 gearbox noise and clunkiness are true; in fact I agree the S-tronic is next level in comparison (excluding the shift paddles), however you have to bear in mind the comparison is between a BorgWarner & Nissan/Aichi Kikai 2007 development and one from seven years later by Audi/Oerlikon Graziano.

If you return to historical order the GR6 was ahead of the R-tronic, the introduction of a semi-automatic sequential DCT setting the path that every competitor has taken.

My GT-R was the UK equivalent of FBO, stage 4.25. Stock turbo's never felt laggy in any way, the car was pretty ballistic developing full torque from only 2650rpm:

Minor revisions only during the lifetime have left the R35 badly trailing competitors, progress in terms of weight, handling and efficiency of an OEM car in no way reflect the cost increase and Nissan really are milking the platform.

The R8 is a blast. Engine, gearbox & brakes are tremendous and the displays/interior are also decent. It's also a lot more fun to drive less quickly, i.e. being less of a hooligan which can only be a good thing.

GT-R I had my fair share of fun but it's a rattling **** box. The GR6 transmission is like a grandma compared to the R8/Huracan's DCT. The GT-R DCT is loud, clunky, and slow to shift. Both platforms can be as fast as you want to empty your wallet. The only plus to the GT-R is the extra storage for passengers (barely) and cargo (although you'd be surprised what the R8 can hold). Otherwise the R8 has more road presence, better features/amenities (at least for Gen 2), and a way better exhaust note. V10 is a dream to just rev it up. Also, naturally aspirated power is great. My GT-R was "only" FBO E85 so similar speed to V10 Plus (which ran mid 10s stock). GT-R on stock turbos felt laggy going back and forth between them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My GT-R was the UK equivalent of FBO, stage 4.25. Stock turbo's never felt laggy in any way, the car was pretty ballistic developing full torque from only 2650rpm:
Stock turbos have input lag. You hit the gas in the R8 and it's snap on snap off. You hit the gas in the GT-R (or any turbo car for that matter) I don't care how small the turbos there's a delay between throttle application and power response. I daily drove both cars when I owned them and it was definitely obvious going between the two. 40,000 miles in a GT-R and 22,000 miles in the Gen 2 R8 I do have some experience between both cars.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I owned my GT-R for eight years and daily drove it over 79,000miles, so also speaking from experience. In my car, in the right gear for the situation, torque and acceleration were instant albeit delivered in a very different manner to the R8.
My R35 was mapped by one of ECUTek's development partners, Iain Litchfield and he spent significant time developing mod's and refining the map, so perhaps that's where the difference in experience arose.
On paper the R8 is meant to be quicker yet it doesn't actually feel that way overall. Likely down to tyres as I still have the Pirelli rubber bands, can't wait to get Michelin Cup 2's again. Despite that it is still more fun, way more of an experience and there's more potential to exploit.

Ramen are you driving on circuits or drag strip?
If circuits, wouldn't you be better off going for a 991.1 GT3RS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m biased on the GTR lag discussion as mine has much bigger turbos so it has some lag. But when boots hits it’s faster than most cars on the road.
When I switched to Motec and Ecutec I got the transmission to shift much faster and harder. So it drives different from a stock GTR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I owned my GT-R for eight years and daily drove it over 79,000miles, so also speaking from experience. In my car, in the right gear for the situation, torque and acceleration were instant albeit delivered in a very different manner to the R8.
My R35 was mapped by one of ECUTek's development partners, Iain Litchfield and he spent significant time developing mod's and refining the map, so perhaps that's where the difference in experience arose.
On paper the R8 is meant to be quicker yet it doesn't actually feel that way overall. Likely down to tyres as I still have the Pirelli rubber bands, can't wait to get Michelin Cup 2's again. Despite that it is still more fun, way more of an experience and there's more potential to exploit.

In theory I’d go with a GT3RS, since I do a lot of circuit work. But I’m use to much more horsepower, and I’m planning on eventually going turbo on the R8.
Also I kinda want to get a V10 as I have a feeling that they will go the way of the dodo soon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I get you, opportunity to run a modded V10 on circuit will be awesome.
Having done the ETS pro GTR you are no stranger to that territory so should be a fun project.

GT2 RS are mega bucks in the UK, but would have the combination of power, low weight and track engineering you're looking for. Mclaren 720S has also got to be worth a look?

In theory I’d go with a GT3RS, since I do a lot of circuit work. But I’m use to much more horsepower, and I’m planning on eventually going turbo on the R8.
Also I kinda want to get a V10 as I have a feeling that they will go the way of the dodo soon.
Apologies for the digression about the R35, I felt the discussion needed a balancing comment as it was a little unfair to leave such a negative perspective on what can be a really good car for not too much $$$.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get you, opportunity to run a modded V10 on circuit will be awesome.
Having done the ETS pro GTR you are no stranger to that territory so should be a fun project.

GT2 RS are mega bucks in the UK, but would have the combination of power, low weight and track engineering you're looking for. Mclaren 720S has also got to be worth a look?

Apologies for the digression about the R35, I felt the discussion needed a balancing comment as it was a little unfair to leave such a negative perspective on what can be a really good car for not too much $$$.

Good luck!
Don’t get me wrong. The R8 is a super car, plain and simple. From the factory it has the looks, the emotion, and the power that earns it that title.
The GTR is kinda it’s own beast. It’s a super car killer with a few mods, but lacks the refined nature I have decided I need for the next toy.
It would need a lot of money to top the GTR, and I’m going more for refined power than another “4 figure WHP car”. So I’m pumped to get into the R8, and see what I can do to make it fast, yet keep it away from “race car with plates”.

As for the McLaren’s, the depreciation is far to high for me to stomach. I might pick up a 720 at some point when they inevitably deprecate to a tolerable price. But watching the 650’s and the horrid fall of the MP4-12c has me put off from them in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Awesome to have had a previous owner who actually drove the GT-R. It pains me to see so many people that own any of these cars (R8, GTR, etc.) that just don't put mileage on them.

Yes the power delivery is different. There's input lag from the time you hit the gas and throttle blades open (r8 is off and running) the GT-R needs to spool up those turbos which takes another quarter of a second or so before it's off to the races. Same philosophy if you go to an all electric setup. It has an instant power hit that no ICE can match.

Bill @ SiR tuned my car it ran stout (was on TRC back in the day). 10.2 @ 136 FBO E85 so it had nothing to do with the tune and the lag I'm describing. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also a previous GT-R owner here, used it daily be it rain or snow and was often found at Spa or Nurburgring at least 3-4 times a year, I had the car around 4 and a bit years. Had it changing between 2 forms of more show, then more track purpose.

Out the box the R8 trumps the GT-R in every single way from how it makes you feel, the visual look, the noise and performance. Obviously the GT-R is very easy to tune for not much money to above the figures of an R8 and the limit with the GT-R depends on what your willing to spend. Out the box its got the affordability for most people as well but you can never hide away from the weight and engine positioning.

I loved my GT-R very nearly bought another and tested a few but the R8 experience was just ahead on everything apart from 'practicality' but since when has a 'Supercar' been practical? Supercars are literally luxuries. Something we 'WANT' but don't actually need. It's another reason why the R8 fits that 'Supercar' criteria and the GT-R is simply a 'Sports-Car' with Supercar performance potential.

One thing for me with the R8 is the experience though, I want to drive it, I want to find an excuse to go and use it and each time I do it feels like an occasion and I'm smiling like a kid at Christmas when I lift off and hear the engine tone and exhaust crackle / burble. That is what a car should do when the owner and car connect and although I liked and loved owning some of my previous cars the R8 all-roundness just works for me to a point that even if it was slower it wouldn't bother me anyway as it's not just about performance for me.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
436 Posts
The Plus comes with passive dampers that are firmer than the mag rides fitted to the base model so you may find them adequate for track use. If you decide to go onto coilovers it may be worth speaking with Scott at Ahlman Performance - www.AhlmanPerformance.com as he has done a lot of development with Ohlins for the R8.
I missed this...thank you for the endorsement Trev!

For sure we have a great passive but highly adjustable Ohlins package for you, Ramen, if you end up the R8 route. Ohlins has a package developed for the Gen 2 R8. It is a clean package without remote reservoirs. We have 25 years of chassis design and development for an OEM ('05-'06 Ford GT) and the top of IndyCar and NASCAR. The packages we sell are developed well, but we can also support specific to your needs. I have attached pictures of a gen 1 rear installed on a gen 1 R8 (they look the same as the Gen2's on the rear) and the Gen2 Ohlins coil-overs by themselves. Art work that perform well and very reliably...even better than they look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also a previous GT-R owner here, used it daily be it rain or snow and was often found at Spa or Nurburgring at least 3-4 times a year, I had the car around 4 and a bit years. Had it changing between 2 forms of more show, then more track purpose.

Out the box the R8 trumps the GT-R in every single way from how it makes you feel, the visual look, the noise and performance. Obviously the GT-R is very easy to tune for not much money to above the figures of an R8 and the limit with the GT-R depends on what your willing to spend. Out the box its got the affordability for most people as well but you can never hide away from the weight and engine positioning.

I loved my GT-R very nearly bought another and tested a few but the R8 experience was just ahead on everything apart from 'practicality' but since when has a 'Supercar' been practical? Supercars are literally luxuries. Something we 'WANT' but don't actually need. It's another reason why the R8 fits that 'Supercar' criteria and the GT-R is simply a 'Sports-Car' with Supercar performance potential.

One thing for me with the R8 is the experience though, I want to drive it, I want to find an excuse to go and use it and each time I do it feels like an occasion and I'm smiling like a kid at Christmas when I lift off and hear the engine tone and exhaust crackle / burble. That is what a car should do when the owner and car connect and although I liked and loved owning some of my previous cars the R8 all-roundness just works for me to a point that even if it was slower it wouldn't bother me anyway as it's not just about performance for me.

I would agree with the R8 trumping the GTR, hence why I’m deciding to add it to the fleet.
Thankfully both cars are candidates for modifications as I’ve been spoiled by the 1000whp.
And love the GTR, clean and well done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts