Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

I took my 2008 V8 Rtronic in for an inspection by Audi today. The inspection revealed that there is an oil leak coming from the engine gearbox area. It is not dripping oil and Audi said will be ok but would need further diagnostic to find out what is causing it. I have attached a picture from the Audi Cam they sent. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I know this is at the rear of the car but not familiar with what is being shown in the picture.

The oil sump bolts are also rounded which they said will make the next oil change difficult. Is this a big job to replace the bolts?

Not sure whether to leave the oil leak as Audi suggested as it is not dripping or whether to get them to diagnose the issue.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Automotive tire Fluid Automotive wheel system Font Auto part

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The picture is not really detailed enough to tell. The most common is the oil return pipe and that is on the R/H side of the engine. I had mine done a few years ago and it was about £500 all in at an indy. The other common leak (which mine has at the moment) is from an O ring on the oil pump drive. That is is the region of £1k to replace. I would suggest you take the car to Ricky at RE Performance in Swindon as he is without doubt the top R8 guy in the UK.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Whereabouts in the uk are you based? For those of us who are too far away to get to Ricky, it would be good to have a list of good indys that cover other parts of the uk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Will have a look at the weekend see if I can get a better picture.
I am in Bedfordshire, Swindon would be around 2hour drive for me. Anyone other R8 owners on here that live in the area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to find the location of the leak and have taken some better pictures. It is visible through the rear duct near the passenger wheel area. It is not dripping but looks quite wet it the area. Does anyone know what this could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Looks very much like the oil return pipe, but only a closer examination will confirm that.
It's a common fauls as the pipe is made from mild steel and corrodes over time. The replacements are stainless steel so should last. From memory, the pipe is about £250 and a couple hours labour to change.

Reactions: DaveL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks very much like the oil return pipe, but only a closer examination will confirm that.
It's a common fauls as the pipe is made from mild steel and corrodes over time. The replacements are stainless steel so should last. From memory, the pipe is about £250 and a couple hours labour to change.
Thanks Trev, do you think corrosion would result in the rest of the area being coated in oil as in the last picture?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quite likely, yes. This is mine when it was leaking:

Automotive tire Light Black Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts