Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been unable to find a shop nearby that will install film but found that Precision Clear Bra -www.precisionclearbra.com- offer a kit for the Audi R8.

From their website it would appear that they use 3M film and they just advised by email that the bumper kit is $129, the hood kit $109, and the light kit is $39, which sounds pretty good even after adding shipping to Europe.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I place an order ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
If the kit you are talking about is the same thing as the 3M paint protection film, I advise you to get it. I got the whole front end, side blades. mirrors and the door handles. I got hit on the hood by a decent sized stone a couple of weeks ago, and nothing. Not even a scratch. It's a miracle product. :D However, I've been told that the color does fade, and is not recommended on bright colored cars. That is unless you get the whole car done. The color difference between the protected parts and the non-protected parts will gradually show.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the 3M paint protection film as far as I understand.

My car is white, so the color issue should be nonexistant.

Did you get the film cut locally ?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I would make sure you have a very experienced shop do the installation . It is a difficult task, and you are working on an Audi R8! Even if you need to travel a few hundred kms, find an experienced shop. Maybe try other exotic car websites for your area and ask them?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I paid a little over $1000 USD to have it done at a very good shop. These are the guys that do about 70% of the exotics around the Seoul area. They said they used 58" of the roll. Also, when I mentioned bright cars, white would be way up there on the list. The shop I went to strongly discouraged getting the film on a white car, unless it were to be done on the whole car, not partial. Since I don't have first hand experience with the film on white cars I do not know what to tell you. And like Bodhii said, it is a difficult task. Try to find a good shop who knows what they are doing. Good Luck~ !

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not bothering. I'll do it to the V10, but I've already scraped the front end and got a small nick on the sideblade. Hardly noticable.

Though I've been advised to make sure you go to someone who is really good at it. Also, on black cars, installation error show up most and it's the hardest color to do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did the front hood (partial coverage) mirrors, side panels (in front of the rear wheel and behind the front wheel) entire rocker panel under door, and entire rear bumper/diffuser. All done on black - you can barely even notice it and have already had several hard rock hits with no paint damage. The product is all about installation. I have had good and bad installs done on various cars. With a good install, the stuff is wonderful. Bad install, it picks up dirt around the edges as the edges lift and looks bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts