Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got the confirmation that my new Audi sport exhaust will be here tomorrow.

Yes, I know I could have gone with an aftermarket one. However...
1- I would like to avoid any future warranty related entanglements out
2- The new noise pollution laws in California are kind of making me go with manufacturer exhaust.

I am assuming it will be a simple update (take the old one out put the new one in.) Any pointers would be really appreciated...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you say 6-8 hours, it’ll be a weekend job for me, especially with this heat wave in California (today is yet again another 100F...) :eek:

Now the next thing is to change the buttons on the steering wheel to control the valves. I’ve got to check the wiring diagrams to see if that is even doable without rewiring the steering wheel...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installing the exhaust is pretty straight forward according to the factory manuals (confirmed by UPD as well.)

My car, however, is not a v10+ so I do not have the steering wheel button for the valves. I need to figure out if the wiring needs to be updated to install the button, from v10+, on my steering wheel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Crap tons of work to swap exhaust on these cars .half of the car needs to be taken apart . I've done it last week when I installed my quicksilver exhaust

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I live in SoCal and I installed Remus on my 2018 RWS.
I can control the valves by just placing the car from Dynamic (loud), to comfort (stock), and individual (loud only when I go past 5000 rpm). etc.
Of course I didn't do this. A local shop that's familiar with R8 exhaust installation did it for me. It was a two day job and it seemed like they took the car apart quite a bit.

But my car is on dynamic all the time, even if I'm driving next to a police car. They don't seem to mind.
Only time I would drive in comfort is at late nights or early mornings to be courteous to my neighbors.

With that being said, good luck with the install. The sound is glorious.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap tons of work to swap exhaust on these cars .half of the car needs to be taken apart . I've done it last week when I installed my quicksilver exhaust
I’ll start workin on it on Friday if the weather calms down a little. If it doesn’t, it’ll be next week. I am not going through this at 100F.
I’ll take some pictures...

·
Registered
191 Posts
To install the exhaust button the wiring doesnt need to be changed, you'll need the steering wheel fascia with the button included and you'll need to code it in and thats pretty much it

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I’m not mechanically inclined to do an aftermarket install myself, what’s a fair price charged from an installing company, Gen 2 car? I’m sure it varies from location to location.

NAV

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Around the area where I live, rates are about $200 to $250 per hour. Someone who has done it efore should probably be done in 4-5 hours I would guess...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve installed the sport exhaust a few days ago. It crackles and burps on deceleration, and very loud on acceleration.

If you have a coupe, I can see going with an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you are going with a straight pipe, however, I think your gain will be just incremental.
On a spyder, OTOH, it is a little too loud at times for me (yes, I am an old man...) Later on, I may go with a titanium exhaust if it is is not louder than the sport exhaust (yes, I’ve already told you guys, I am an old man...) Just in case, I am going to keep the old exhaust.

The process is actually very simple (it took me a little less than four hours, but I’ve done all the steps before, except the final step of taking the exhaust out.) If you are doing this, as you already know, Audi engineers do like screws, lots of them. Use ziplocks and label everything...

Here are some tips on installation...

- remove air filters and boxes
(I’ve started with this per Shardul’s advice, and sprayed the clamps with lube. After half an hour, a light tap, and the clamps are off. Thanks Shardul...)
- remove the wheels and liners
(There are two screws holding the heat shield, one on each side in the wheel wells. Remove them as well.)
- remove bumper cover and impact member
- remove rear deck
- remove the clamps connecting the back of the exhaust to the headers.
- remove the upper two screws holding the muffler
(You can then tilt the upper part of the muffler+heat shield forward and take the front part of the heat shield out. I think it is easier to take out the whole thing in pieces, rather than taking it out from the back of the spyder as a single piece...)
- remove the bottom two screws
- remove the old exhaust out, put the new one in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts