Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am replacing two of my struts with new OEM BWI Magnetic ride struts, one front, one rear.

Is it a relatively easy job to swap them out for the DYI, engineering type owner, without the need for specialized tools?
Do you need a special tool to compress the old struts to get them out after the car goes on the hoist?
The two non leaking struts are the old Delphi units so presuming that the new BWI struts should be compatible (damping rates/ride height), it would of course be preferable to swap out all units but I am not due to cost.
The manual recommends reprogramming the control postion after installation, what is that and is it absolutely necessary?

Many thanks
Patton
Mag Ride_control reset page in manual.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Changed both fronts, fairly easily .No spring compressor necessary. You will need to remove the side trim along the trunk and the wheel housing splash shield. If I recall, an 18mm socket was required along with an18mm box wrench. Did both in about three hours and used new Mags. Make sure to tighten the strut attachments with the car on the ground. No reprogramming was needed. By looking at the rears, they appear easier. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Patton. I did a replacement of both front and rears. It's completely doable by an DIY, engineering type person. I originally started a thread because I had similar questions to yours and couldn't find answers on this forum. I ultimately just dug in and did it and wrote posts as I went along in the process. I haven't reviewed what I wrote but I'd imagine some of it will be useful to you.

Regarding your question about reprogramming the control position. I was worried about that too and didn't really know what to do about it. I ended up just firing up the car and going out for a drive to see if anything happened or if warning lights showed up on the dash. Nothing bad happened and the car seems to do what it's supposed to, so my guess is that the reprogramming might just be Audi overkill. I've had the car in at the dealers since the replacement and they didn't note any electronic errors, so I think we're good.

Here is the link to my original posting. Pretty long, but you'll get a good idea. I do a summary at some point with some of the key things to look out for. https://www.r8talk.com/forums/60-maintenance-service/164288-questions-about-diy-removal-replacement-mag-shocks.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts