Audi R8 Forums banner

Instructions on how to disable Gen 2 Base Wing

25120 Views 104 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  yagelbulk71
This is for Disabling a Gen 2 Baseplate with everything still plugged in.

There have been many threads asking how to disable the wing on a Base Gen 2 (even one created by me). So far there has been little to no help on the subject so I am creating this thread for everyone still trying to figure it out.

A few methods that have been suggested to me:
Unplug the stock wing motor and disable in the comfort module with VCDS (similar to a gen 1)
Unhook the driveshaft and install v10+ brackets. No VCDS required since the motor is still plugged in and functioning, but no actual wing movement.

I am sure there are other ways I didn't mention, but none are as clean as this one as far as I know.
Disclaimer, I am not a certified audi tech or anything of the sort, so work on your car at your own risk.
Here it is...

First,
Pull the passenger seat forward, pull the carpet behind the seat and uncover a fuse box.
Remove fuse 7 (yellow). This fuse only controls the power to the wing motor.

Second,
Disable the wing in the comfort module with VCDS like you would on a Gen 1.

Third,
Go into Instrument cluster (17) and uncheck the box that has wing installed.
This will remove the warning light off your dash.

It's as simple as that!
Easily reversible and only takes less than 30 minutes to complete. I would recommend extra brackets to hold the stock baseplate if you're reusing that.

Thanks for reading and a special thanks to Kormodiv for supplying the wiring diagram and murph145 for the Gen 2 car to work on.
Hopefully this brings the great mystery to an end.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 16 of 105 Posts
Second,
Disable the wing in the comfort module with VCDS like you would on a Gen 1.
Can you explain this step? I have been looking on the forum but cant seem to find any instructions. Thank you!
In the comfort module, you search for the option for "Wing Installed" and change it to No.
Thank you @APOLLOSKI!! So you need to select "NO" where it says wing installed and after for the 3rd step - you need to go into Instrument cluster (17) and uncheck the box that has wing installed.

Do you need to change any byte's? Or its just easy as checking boxes?
I'm about to install the OEM Audi Performance rear wing. Does the rear bumper has to come off ?

2021 Gen 2 RWD with no wing. I have bought all OEM Audi mounting hardware necessary + OEM wing.

View attachment 262280
I just ordered the same kit. I will be installing the OEM Plus spoiler on my 2018 R8.
Do you think you can take a video on how to disable the active wing?
Where did you guys get the "kit" for all the mounting hardware? How much is it?
I worked with LDC_OEM on instagram, he sells all OEM and Audi Performance parts. (his email is [email protected]).
Quick shipping and received everything in 2 days to the states. (Paid 1,898 EUR for all hardware except the OEM Plus spoiler which I sourced locally). My local Audi dealer quoted me $3,500 -$4,000 if I remember correctly.

See less See more
What you see on this pic is $1600 from the Audi dealer. I'm sure you can source those parts online even cheaper. The most expensive part is the carbon wing itself - I have bought one used (for another $1600) from a person upgrading to the bigger Vorschteiner spoiler. So $3200 total in parts.
@Elberoth curious are you having your local shop paint just the panel? Or will you be removing the rear end to spay as whole?
Paint whole rear end ? That would be absurd. You only need to paint part # 7

View attachment 262518
Yes, I understand that only #7 needs painting. I just talked to local shop and said that the best way/right way would be to spray the rear end and blend. Painting only 1 piece they will get as close as match but may be noticeable....Just curious as to what your plan was.
You guys are right, even though the car is not brand new (2018) it should not be difficult for well qualified shop to paint match..
Looks great! Can you make some instructions on how to disable the spoiler?
In the original post it says you must remove the fuse as first step before going into VCDS.
If you go the OEM route, you can skip the fuse step. The other steps are still relevant.
Sorry just to be clear, if you are installing the OEM Plus Spoiler with the OEM Kit you do not need to remove the fuse? Just turn off the active spoiler with VCDS?
Found this pdf...This is for installing the Audi Sport Wing, however looks like this would be the same process for installing the v10+ spoiler as well.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Found this pdf...This is for installing the Audi Sport Wing, however looks like this would be the same process for installing the v10+ spoiler as well.
For me I would rather not disconnect the electric motors and instead just pull the fuse. I think this route would be easier to reverse if needed or incase you have to access behind the bumper again...
Reactions: 2
For those that like me are upgrading from the retractable spoiler to the CF wing using all original Audi hardware (i.e NOT installing your new spoiler on top of the old retractable one, but rather going full OEM route).

There is no need to remove the fuse as the motor is removed with the old mounting plate when installing new plate for the CF wing. So you can skip step # 1 and go straight to step # 2/3 (coding).
Curious, when you remove the motor how do you gain access to say underneath the spoiler if needed?
I have a gen2 non plus with all the mounting hardware and base plate Fromm Audi. (Running OEM plus wing). I have had the wing coded out by a local shop over 8months already and have not had any malfunction lights or issues with TC.

However the current shops says they are running into issues with traction control turning back on over 120mph. Anyone familiar with this? Or has this happening as well?

thanks
Anyone in NY NJ Area that could code the rear wing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedsport Tuning in Danbury CT did my wing and coded out.
Quick tips, here is what i did. 1st pull fuse and only need to long code out instrument cluster. Also add the rubber feets rubber bumper pads prevent loose plate feel. View attachment 281110
View attachment 281108
View attachment 281109
Can you try something for me? Can you hold the traction control button for 5 seconds so it turns off both TC and ESC. After both are off can you try and go above 100mph and let me know if ESC turns back on?

The issue I am running into is when I hit 100mph ESC automatically turns back on.

Thanks
1 - 16 of 105 Posts