Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not for me... I like CF on the exterior blades (in fact I chose it for my own car) but I think interior carbon usually looks a bit cheap and tacky, and the R8 is no excetion I'm afraid.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You won't get any consensus on here :)

I like the cheap and tacky CF interior (if only it was cheap) and have CF sideblade but not in engine compartment - I don't see that

·
Registered
381 Posts
You won't get any consensus on here :)

I like the cheap and tacky CF interior (if only it was cheap) and have CF sideblade but not in engine compartment - I don't see that
:)

Maybe it is just the prevalence of fake CF interiors that leads me to think like that.

CF is, as I understand it, a superbly lightweight yet strong material - suited for body panels (roof, bonnet etc) because it reduces the weight (versus steel) whilst keeping the rigidity. Works well on (say) an M3 CSL roof. Keeps the centre of gravity lower as well as reducing the overall weight.

To be honest, the way Audi have chosen to use CF on the R8 is wrong from the start. I'd love a CF 'bonnet' to go with my CF sideblade - or maybe removable CF targa panels or something - but even the CF blade can't be saving too much weight over the standard panels, if any.

The use of CF in the interior / engine just fuels this, IMHO. It isn't saving weight or adding to the rigidity - its just there for show. And as you can get the same effect in your Citroen Saxo by sticking on some fake CF sticky plastic... ;)

I guess that's where I'm coming from...

·
Registered
617 Posts
:)

Maybe it is just the prevalence of fake CF interiors that leads me to think like that.

CF is, as I understand it, a superbly lightweight yet strong material - suited for body panels (roof, bonnet etc) because it reduces the weight (versus steel) whilst keeping the rigidity. Works well on (say) an M3 CSL roof. Keeps the centre of gravity lower as well as reducing the overall weight.

To be honest, the way Audi have chosen to use CF on the R8 is wrong from the start. I'd love a CF 'bonnet' to go with my CF sideblade - or maybe removable CF targa panels or something - but even the CF blade can't be saving too much weight over the standard panels, if any.

The use of CF in the interior / engine just fuels this, IMHO. It isn't saving weight or adding to the rigidity - its just there for show. And as you can get the same effect in your Citroen Saxo by sticking on some fake CF sticky plastic... ;)

I guess that's where I'm coming from...
The single biggest benefit to a CF engine bay is not only the looks but the ease of cleaning is much better than a textured plastic which grime stick to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not for me... I like CF on the exterior blades (in fact I chose it for my own car) but I think interior carbon usually looks a bit cheap and tacky, and the R8 is no excetion I'm afraid.
I agree, but the engine bay looks good!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree! I love it in the engine bay, and blades but not on the interior whatsoever. Definitely easier to clean the motor area and the bay is always on display to all ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
... love it in the engine bay, and blades but not on the interior whatsoever. Definitely easier to clean the motor area and the bay is always on display to all ;)
"everybody has an opinion"
I really love the look of well executed CF on the interior. I have 2 other cars with CF inside (including an S4 Avant); looks great (IMHO) and is easy to maintain.

The best example: the Gallardo Superleggera: 100% CF and Alcantara. If I just liked the outside more.......

I have specced my R10 this way already. (yes, I know they don't exist yet, but just in case........)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm with the liking cf interior camp - the micro-metallic finish looked too plasticky to me and the interior is the bit I'll be living with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The CF interior looks anything but cheap in the R8. I have seen some interiors with CF trim that does indeed look like cheap plastic stick-on trim, the R8 is by comparison substantial and better than either the micrometallic or leather trim options. All IMHO, of course.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
The CF in my RS4 looks good. It adds a little more class than just the normal plastic (like on my wife's A4). With the cost and look of CF it's more "high end".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts