Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the B&O 6 CD Changer located in the space behind and between the two seats, with a head unit that accepts the plugging in of an iPod? This is the only solution I can seem to come up with short of the FM transmitter which is truly crap.

I don't mind losing the 6 CD player if it means I can use my iPod at high quality levels. I don't even care if I have any display on the NAV screen as I am happy to use the iPod unit itself. My car is MY 2008 and does not have any AUX input jack either, otherwise that would solve this issue to some degree.

Please advise if anyone has done this or heard of this.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
If you're happy using the iPod to select your music, just plug your iPod into the AUX Jack in the center console. Audi is offering iPod integration in 2010 MY cars. Unfortunately, there have been some preliminary reports that this new unit can not be installed in older cars but the jury is still out on this. Someone will find away. There are other 3d party solutions out there. Search this forum for iPod.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the B&O 6 CD Changer located in the space behind and between the two seats, with a head unit that accepts the plugging in of an iPod? This is the only solution I can seem to come up with short of the FM transmitter which is truly crap.

I don't mind losing the 6 CD player if it means I can use my iPod at high quality levels. I don't even care if I have any display on the NAV screen as I am happy to use the iPod unit itself.

Please advise if anyone has done this or heard of this.

Thanks.
The 2010 offers what you seek as an option (but ONLY on cars built August '09 and after, as has been thoroughly thrashed out on this forum). The reason we are given* WHY this option choice was delayed (some of us having 2010's coming, built BEFORE August '09)is that, apparently there was difficulty adapting the iPod dock to the space where the 6 changer is now.

We've also been told that, if our 2010's have the "new nav" (new rns-e version), they will have the software and firmware to allow the option.

I haven't detected any real electronic tech-heads on this forum, but over on, for instance, audifourms, there are some REAL hard core techies who seem to intimately know version differences, plug mapping, software quirks and all the stuff you need to know to do an after-market mod of your electronics.

If I get the new rns-e on mine (on the boat now), I will be asking the same question as you. And I suspect there will be others who have the new system w. 6 chgr. and want to add or substitute the dock. We'll just have to be patient and keep forum searching, since it is VERY unlikely that Audi will countenance or facilitate such a swap.

*http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4460694
PS: I've read that the old (as on '09's) nav system only has rudimentary iPod interfacing ability and that the problem lies in the firmware so adding the dock is probably not an option. But never say "never", as the after market modifiers are pretty creative!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the B&O CD changer replaced with and iPod dock on my '09 R8. It has interchangable docks slots which permit use of most iPods. The MMI interface leaves a lot to be desired. You can create playlists named "1", "2", "3", "4", & "5" and access them as CD 1, CD 2, CD 3, CD 4, & CD 5. CD 6 gets you your full music library. No song titles are displayed on MMI:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have mentioned that mine is MY 2008. It seems that this rules out several of the options mentioned. I do not have an AUX input on the centre console. Wish I did. That would solve all of this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts