Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the lease just ended on my first real sports car, the 2018 BMW M4 competition, I'm getting ready to hop into something a little more exotic. I absolutely obsessed over the Porsche 911 gt3 (991 generation), as I had a buddy who'd go on drives with me up in the mountains in Northern California, and that sound was just intoxicating. After spending some time inside of it, I realized that it's pretty rough around town, and doesn't feel that special unless you are up in the canyons keeping it at 5k rpms and above. Also, the interior is pretty bland- good for a track toy, maybe not for a daily driver.

I'm thinking of a 2017~ R8 v10 plus. It's beautiful, exotic but not overly flashy, sounds infinitely better than the m4, seems like it would be fun in the canyons, and seems to be a fun and luxurious daily driver, even if I just take it to get groceries.

How would you guys honestly compare the RWS to the V10 to the V10 plus? I think I'd probably keep this car for at least two years, and put at least 5k miles a year on it.

For those of you with a 2nd gen r8, does it still excite you or put a smile on your face when you take it out? Do you have a desire to get something nicer, or are you satisfied with it? Do you think the v10 plus is worth it over the other two?

Also, if you gave the keys to your mom would she be able to comfortably drive it around town? That's to say can it be very civilized when you want it to be?

Also in terms of pricing, do you thinking I could find a clean 2nd gen v10 plus for around 135k-145k? How long is the warranty on these cars?

Thank you

·
Registered
473 Posts
The v10+ is far better than non-plus and RWS. I bought mine new. Have had it 2 years and still thrilled every time I see it and drive it. I mostly drive it on long road trips. 8,000 miles so far.
Warranty is 3 years 36k. You can find one for that price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Warranty is 50k or 4yrs from inservice date.

But extended warranty is just as good for piece of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The v10+ is far better than non-plus and RWS. I bought mine new. Have had it 2 years and still thrilled every time I see it and drive it. I mostly drive it on long road trips. 8,000 miles so far.
Ok I should know this, but just to be sure, if I purchase it from a private party and it's still covered under the original warranty, it will transfer over? Is there a way to purchase an extended warranty if it it's towards the end of the 3 years?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok I should know this, but just to be sure, if I purchase it from a private party and it's still covered under the original warranty, it will transfer over? Is there a way to purchase an extended warranty if it it's towards the end of the 3 years?
Yes and Yes.

You can get an extended warranty from an Audi Dealer before the warranty ends or through a provider like Fidelity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you gotten anything aftermarket on yours? I think tints, black wheels and badges, and an exhaust would be my ideal setup. Hmm the more I am researching the more this seems like the perfect choice...

·
Registered
2020 R8 Black
7 Posts
I don’t have a plus because I found an amazing deal on a non plus model so I can’t comment on that. What I can tel you is that although I’ve only owned it for two months now, I enter and leave my house through the garage even when it’s unnecessary so I can at least walk by it. I have another car that Is my actual daily driver but I have used the R8 for just quick trips to the store and to go to work a few times and those things. I’ve never once had a problem with it or found it an inconvenience. Mine doesn’t have any aftermarket upgrades minus carbon fiber mirror caps and emblems, but will be getting an exhaust next year. I wanted to enjoy the car in it’s stock form for a bit before I started doing what I do with pretty much everything I own, upgrading everything part I can find an upgrade for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OP, I had a 2017 M3 and sold it earlier this year. Great car and very fast but R8 is another level of sports car, even if the M3 has better numbers. It'll be 10 years that I have my gen 1 V8. I've never driven the second gen but I think you're going to have a good time with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not an exact comparison of cars you’re looking for, but I would pick an R8 V10+ any day over a GT3 because it is the perfect blend of an “exotic-ish” daily that isn’t overly ostentatious. I got the RS after the R8, and would get rid of the RS before the R8. I don’t find the RS overly harsh and could easily daily it as well, but as you mentioned it’s boring at low speeds whereas with the R8 you can still get a feel for the car at low to medium speeds. Don’t even get me started on how ordinary the F80 platform is compared to previous M cars. Good luck and try to enjoy the shopping process, which many of us including myself often forget.

·
Registered
17 V10 Plus
75 Posts
There is over thinking and than are posts like this lol. If you have to ask, just buy the Porsche and spare us. To buy a car like this to drive it only 5000 miles in 2 yrs is pointless.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What he said above.

On my ‘18 it just has tint, PPF, ceramic, and B Rogue titanium exhaust. The Plus has so much carbon I don’t see the point in adding anymore. Starts to look tacky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is over thinking and than are posts like this lol. If you have to ask, just buy the Porsche and spare us. To buy a car like this to drive it only 5000 miles in 2 yrs is pointless.
5k per year, not over two years. Probably a lot more. Thanks though

·
Registered
On the hunt R8 performance
33 Posts
So as the lease just ended on my first real sports car, the 2018 BMW M4 competition, I'm getting ready to hop into something a little more exotic. I absolutely obsessed over the Porsche 911 gt3 (991 generation), as I had a buddy who'd go on drives with me up in the mountains in Northern California, and that sound was just intoxicating. After spending some time inside of it, I realized that it's pretty rough around town, and doesn't feel that special unless you are up in the canyons keeping it at 5k rpms and above. Also, the interior is pretty bland- good for a track toy, maybe not for a daily driver.

I'm thinking of a 2017~ R8 v10 plus. It's beautiful, exotic but not overly flashy, sounds infinitely better than the m4, seems like it would be fun in the canyons, and seems to be a fun and luxurious daily driver, even if I just take it to get groceries.

How would you guys honestly compare the RWS to the V10 to the V10 plus? I think I'd probably keep this car for at least two years, and put at least 5k miles a year on it.

For those of you with a 2nd gen r8, does it still excite you or put a smile on your face when you take it out? Do you have a desire to get something nicer, or are you satisfied with it? Do you think the v10 plus is worth it over the other two?

Also, if you gave the keys to your mom would she be able to comfortably drive it around town? That's to say can it be very civilized when you want it to be?

Also in terms of pricing, do you thinking I could find a clean 2nd gen v10 plus for around 135k-145k? How long is the warranty on these cars?

Thank you
After 40 years in various 911’s (my last a 996 Turbo bumped to 600hp), I jumped ship and got a 2017 R8 plus, after looking for six months. The Porsche commands your full and undivided attention at all times. When you dial it back to comfort settings, it’s a great daily drive. Put it dynamic sports mode, open the exhaust, and it’s a beast. You can use the paddle shifts but S mode is just as responsive. Rev matched downshifts sound as good as a heal and toe manual. I have no regrets on getting the R8 plus (if you can swing it get the plus). Mine is a 4,500 miles fully optioned original owner trade in with 4 years of warranty and service included (bought by previous owner) bought used from the original Audi dealer with full maintenance records. It was $145,000 (top of range). I think you can do better than that depending on your location. I almost pulled the trigger on two barely used 2020 performance at $185,000, but $40k more is still a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've daily driven my 2017 V10 Plus for over 3 years. I've put 27,000 miles on it so I've got a good amount of seat time in the car. Get the plus. I've driven the base model.

Gearing is way too tall and without a tune it's gutless above 6000rpms compared to the plus model. Flash the ECU and goodbye warranty.

Also plus gets you carbon ceramics, carbon body panels, "performance mode", and simple valve control of the exhaust all on the wheel. If you get one with at least a little bit of warranty left on it this guy can cheaply extend the coverage. I paid $3800 for an additional 5yr/60k on top of factory so I'm covered until 2025 or 85,000 miles. Way cheaper than maintaining an F car or a McLaren. Next car I'd consider past this is F8 Tributo or 720S but cost of ownership starts climbing fast.

Anything else specific you want to know? I've road tripped it, auto crossed it, drag raced it, and took it to Sebring. It's a do all car cannot complain.

Here's the warranty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts