Audi R8 Forums banner

Is a exhaust supposed to be this loud?!

5K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  NZV10 
#1 ·
Got my rev9 suffered exhaust installed don my V8. Drove the car for 60km and both hated and loved it. Sure, it sounds great when driving on the highway. But when driving through the city it got annoying. between 2-3k revs it drones a lot.
It also melted my bumper on the right side, maybe the exhaust was angled wrong. Will bring the bumper to the bodyshop and restore it.
I am most definitely sure that I annoyed people living by my favorite roads.

My questioned is- is it normal for a exhaust to drone a lot in the city and does the exhaust get quieter Shen it has been used for some time?

Thinking of installing the original exhaust back on...

#5 · (Edited)
I have the Armytrix Valved exhaust and when I close the valves it gets very low rumbly... and when I open them, it is exceedingly loud but with the F1 type tone (but I like it)... I don't know about Rev 9 but if there is a valve you might close it. Or take it out of sport mode.

Reactions: Blade Gunner
#20 ·
I can only imagine what it’s like to go from stock to an aftermarket system haha, quite the contrast. I’d imagine that’s the extreme you’re experiencing.

I however am going from an Unresonated Milltek to a titanium system for a pitch change. Switching from V8 rumble to a smoother higher pitch tone an X pipe and titanium material produces. I’m also gathering it’s a louder system which doesn’t bother me either, even as my daily driver.

I too ended up with the titanium Armytrix system. I ordered the Valvetronic controller but don’t have much intentions of closing the valves anyway. Just liked the idea of having the option for rare occasions.

#8 ·
I agree with @R8-Stuff regarding the difficulty of properly designing an exhaust, but no less evaluating the differences from a consumer perspective. I would agree that very few people seem to have a frame of reference beyond (a) stock and (b) XYZ fitted afterwards. While I've HEARD a few different after-market exhausts, I'd fall into the same boat of never having spent any quality time driving and living with them, making it really difficult to evaluate.

When I purchased my R8, I was fortunate enough that Audi decided to offer a "sport exhaust" for the final production year (2015). I ticked that box, of course. It's significantly more aggressive than the stock exhaust, but my suspicion is that it's nowhere near as flamboyant as SOME of the after-market options - many of which seemingly go for volume as their priority but may not prioritize tone and all-around drivability.

If you're just looking for something more aggressive than stock, but you still want to maintain a driving experience that works in all conditions, I'd recommend looking at the OEM sport exhaust. It's valved, and in the closed position, without romping on it, it sounds no more aggressive than a nice sports sedan. With the valves open, and if you're pushing it no less, it's a responsible loudness - meaning, you're never going to miss its presence, and it'll echo off all the hard surfaces around you, etc... but it also has a beautiful tone to it. "Mature" might be one word I'd use to describe it - it sounds present and rich, full bodied, and howling in the upper register, with a bit of rasp beyond 5 or 6k. I'd say it suits the R8's character well - the "gentleman's Lamborghini" if you will. But if you're looking for the loudest experience, and drowning out anything around you is the goal, then this won't be your option.

From the little I've experienced, if I was going after-market, I might consider Capristo - certainly loud, but I feel they're well refined.

#11 ·
I agree and my Armytrix Valved Titanium exhaust drones on the highway at 70 mph so weather in manual or auto I just go up a few mph or down... I don't get any drone anywhere else in auto or manual, just on the highway at steady 70 mph. Which fortunately for me, here in So. Cal. even the prius' drive 85-90 on the hwy! Blew my mind the first time I drove up to the OC cars and coffee.. I was afraid to drive too fast thinking I would be a target...but then Prius' were flying by me, so I just maintained the safe flow of traffic :cool:

#12 · (Edited)
One of the most common questions we receive on exhausts is "how does it sound?"

We have no truthful way of answering this. We could try to find poetic words - symphony, chorus, banshee, wail - but these mean nothing!
We can only relate customer experience and also provide info on the design features and build quality.
Or refer customers to youtube with a big proviso not to take these as being representative.

We rarely ever get to hear them. In person, have heard Akrapovic, Armytrix, Capristo, IPE, Larini and Tubi.
From memory. could not give you any accurate comparison on these. Have never heard them together.
From memory, the ones that provoked most smiles were the IPE and Tubi - and these are not the most expensive of the group.

Very pleasantly surprised by the Tubi sound - higher pitched. Not high pitched - the R8 engine does NOT produce a high pitched sound. High pitched is a Ferrari F355
The Tubi Rumore does not look as sophisticated in build quality as the others but the sound is glorious - and non-valved is absolutely fine.

Hope that this highly subjective info helps. I will add many * to my opinion

#13 ·
One of the most common questions we receive on exhausts is "how does it sound?"

We have no truthful way of answering this. We could try to find poetic words - symphony, chorus, glorious, wail - but these mean nothing!
We can relate customer experience and also provide info on the design features and build quality.
Or refer customers to youtube with a big proviso not to take these as being representative.

We rarely ever get to hear them. In person, have heard Akrapovic, Armytrix, Capristo, IPE, Larini and Tubi.
From memory. could not give you any accurate comparison on these. Have never heard them together.
From memory, the ones that provoked most smiles were the IPE and Tubi - and these are not the most expensive of the group.

Very pleasantly surprised by the Tubi sound - higher pitched. Not high pitched - the R8 engine does NOT produce a high pitched sound. High pitched is a Ferrari F355
The Tubi Rumore does not look as sophisticated in build quality as the others but the sound is glorious - and non-valved is absolutely fine.

Hope that this highly subjective info helps. I will add many * to my opinion
I almost went with the IPE as I felt it sound closest to f1 type sound but they stopped making them for V8 as I recall, so I went with Armytrix and am very satisfied. Also, it depends one what sound the owner wants. Some guys with V8's like and want the low grumble of a knarly V8 some want more of a whine at higher rpms (me)... V10's sound awesome pretty much with anything, so I can't speak for them. I should have gotten a V10, but then there would be no reason to up the Horse Power and do all sorts of stuff to it! ha hahahha ha

My suggestion is go to a R8 drive ( ) like this one and if you hear one you like, just ask them what it is.

#14 ·
I’ve never understood the “it sounds like an F1 car!” No it doesn’t. Not even close. Go to an F1 race and listen. F1 during this current era don’t sound crazy. The V10’s were nuts! ANY and EVERY aftermarket exhaust makes the R8 sound louder. Better is subjective. Comparing it to F1 is ludicrous.

#17 ·
Relax tiger.... I don't think people mean a literal 1:1 comparison.. I know I don't. I mean it has a sound that has some similarities (compared to stock) and I have been to F1 races... so I know what you mean but people are searching for subtleties to try and describe one exhaust tone from another. So we reach. We're also not running 15,000-20,000+ rpms

Reactions: <RUSH> and skar829
#15 ·
My Avior pipes do not drone, they are also 2.5” vs many 2.75-3” systems. I suspect the rev9 baffles amplify certain unwanted sounds.

Reactions: ExpertRanch and FoD
#16 ·
I had Avior pipes on mine until very recently. Just swapped over to a valved Capristo. Will be listing the Avior shortly. It’s loud! And without any mufflers, it sounds like this engine was intended. And absolutely no drone!

#19 ·
+1 On the Tubi Rumore. It wasn't cheap, but sounds really nice and is not obnoxious. It does not drone on the highway. You know you have an exhaust, but it is not LOUD until you mash the gas. Cold start is cold start, non valved will be loud.

#29 ·
Valved exhaust system ftw no exceptions:devilish::devilish:
Im running straight with x-pipe on my V10+ gen2 where the sound is crazy and no resonance at all with open valves and if I come home in the evening without waking the neighbors, it´s possible to get the car quieter than the neighbor's fiat (y) but I NEVER drive the car with closed valves :LOL:

#30 ·
Anything to do with senses (taste, sight and sound) are all open to individual likes/dislikes.

What is loud to one is quiet to another. Same with wine/food/etc.

Feel for you if you don’t like it although would say perhaps keep it on for a while, you may grow to enjoy it. (My rev9 took some getting used to, although it was more cold startup for me, the sound was on point). Either way new things always take some adaptation time.

Hope you get what you want soon.

#33 ·
Got my rev9 suffered exhaust installed don my V8. Drove the car for 60km and both hated and loved it. Sure, it sounds great when driving on the highway. But when driving through the city it got annoying. between 2-3k revs it drones a lot.
It also melted my bumper on the right side, maybe the exhaust was angled wrong. Will bring the bumper to the bodyshop and restore it.
I am most definitely sure that I annoyed people living by my favorite roads.

My questioned is- is it normal for a exhaust to drone a lot in the city and does the exhaust get quieter Shen it has been used for some time?

Thinking of installing the original exhaust back on...
Hi there, i am in the same boat, I bought a V8 R8 and it had a rev9 track exhaust fitted. The first day it was fine but now I don’t want to even drive the car, very droney loud and obnoxious. Looking for recommendations for a valved system

#39 ·
Valved Capristo (made in Germany) on a V10. Values closed it sounds stock. Open them up and it loud, slight drone on the freeway, but just close the valves. The only complaint is Audi’s cold start cycle is way to loud. Getting it tuned to remove that.

Reactions: ExpertRanch
#42 ·
installed the original exhaust and did the little valve mod.
Its enough for me, I live in a small town and the car as is makes people jealous: especially when an 18 year old is driving it. Maybe will upgrade the exhaust if I fit a v10 bumper.

#43 ·
I fitted a resonated titanium Rev9 exhaust to my 2010 V10 R-tronic and have driven it spiritedly for 500 km. I bought it based on positive comments on this forum, videos available online, and perceived value for money. The exhaust is well-made and fitted pretty well, although the tips are very close to the top of the oval outlets in the bumper rather than in the centre.

The following is an objective assessment to the degree that I have no interest in promoting the brand (but it is subjective in terms of personal taste).

First impressions: very loud, a bit 'shouty' initially, to my ear at least. It felt like some of the mature, nuanced, V10-ness of the OEM had been lost.

Second impressions: very loud, but it quietened down a little with use and became less brash, the tone returned closer to the OEM V10-ness, and a delightful range of gorgeous burbles entered the mix when easing off the throttle. It is a very deep sound, and there is an added gunshot-style 'burp' on upshifts, which is addictive. It sounds much better at idle too.

Third impressions: wow, this thing howls in the upper rev range, it is quite something. Not an F1 sound as some have said (why would it be?) but definitely race car characteristics. And the throttle response is sharper, along with a feeling of more power and torque (Rev9 claim a modest 15hp increase). This may be a placebo effect due to the noise, but that's fine with me.

Overall, I am very pleased indeed, and the response from other R8 owners, including Gen 2, is nothing but effusive and highly positive. This exhaust has brought the car alive and given it a character that it lacked in the noise department. That said, it is always 'on' and certainly attracts attention, but if driven without big throttle inputs it isn't offensive.

As for drone, honestly, there isn't any...none at all. Those who complain of drone from the Rev9 seem to be V8 rather than V10 owners who have fitted the non-resonated track version of the Rev9. An exhaust without resonators is bound to have drone...

Taste is entirely subjective, but for my tastes, this has met the mark. I'd happily recommend the Rev9 resonated titanium version for the Gen1 V10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.