Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order for a RWD Spyder in October and the dealer still tells me they have no "allocation" for the car. What's up with that? How long should this take? Is anyone else having the same issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put a deposit down on my 22 RWD mid July. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that the dealer told me my order was accepted. The build will happen in the last full week of February.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
EVERYBODY is having this 'problem.' Have you been living under a rock? "Chip" shortages are only the tip of this iceberg of a debacle around worldwide logistics and transportation of supplies. Been to the grocery store this week? Watch TV at all to see hundreds (not 20-50) of container ships off the coast of Benicia, CA. Whassup with your sense man?

There have been NO normal allocations (or actually ANY) since July. And those basically covered orders written (not breathed) in March. So if you think you're having trouble ordering an R8, welcome to the world of everyone in the terrible first world problems of those wanting one. Oh, and IF you find a dealer who happens to have a spec (speculation not customer) order, get ready to pay - perhaps from $20 -$50K over MSRP for that privilege - but hey THAT should be no problem, right?

Actually others have said, MAYBE, just MAYBE - there may be some allocations in the 'normal' sense coming soon, later this month - BUT I wouldn't count on it as much as cozy up to your dealer of trust to see...

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 for under a rock.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
LOL...I was aware of these problems early last year and reaffirmed when I saw the look on his face when I inquired.

Luckily the build I was looking for showed up at a dealer in another city and I bought it on the spot and had it delivered.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Roger is the expert here with the inside track, so not much I can add to his wisdom...

The ONE additional thing I'd say is that beyond the supply chain woes, it's been well discussed in the media that 2022 is the last of the R8. Anyone who's been holding out has now moved on one, compounding the supply side problems with additional demand. Want a pure NA V10 powered supercar? Last call! This is the very last of a breed... the last hurrah... before we're all forced to consider TTV6's with hybrid drive, or at best a muffled TTV8... on the way to silence or electronic warbles of electric. The craziness around demand for cars like the R8 is just beginning IMHO. The "masses" are usually lethargic until they fully contemplate what's happening... and then watch out for the REAL stampede.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EVERYBODY is having this 'problem.' Have you been living under a rock? "Chip" shortages are only the tip of this iceberg of a debacle around worldwide logistics and transportation of supplies. Been to the grocery store this week? Watch TV at all to see hundreds (not 20-50) of container ships off the coast of Benicia, CA. Whassup with your sense man?

There have been NO normal allocations (or actually ANY) since July. And those basically covered orders written (not breathed) in March. So if you think you're having trouble ordering an R8, welcome to the world of everyone in the terrible first world problems of those wanting one. Oh, and IF you find a dealer who happens to have a spec (speculation not customer) order, get ready to pay - perhaps from $20 -$50K over MSRP for that privilege - but hey THAT should be no problem, right?

Actually others have said, MAYBE, just MAYBE - there may be some allocations in the 'normal' sense coming soon, later this month - BUT I wouldn't count on it as much as cozy up to your dealer of trust to see...
Believe me I am not living under a rock. I am in the home automation business and we are waiting 4-6 months on processors and other electronic parts. I am aware that some car manufacturers are suffering from chip shortages but I wasn't sure how that impacted the actual "taking" of the orders. I would also imagine that by now (October - January) that hopefully they have enough to build the few cars that people are ordering. Good to know that the guy with the July order just got accepted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a deposit down on my 22 RWD mid July. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that the dealer told me my order was accepted. The build will happen in the last full week of February.
Hopefully that means my October is next... My dealer said I am the only R8 they have on order so I am promised first slot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Join the wait club. I placed my order in August and haven't received an allocation. There are a few threads about 2022 orders in the forum. I hope to have it by this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I didn't mean to offend - but the first problem (chip shortages somewhere for something) started a ball rolling, and before long, the law of unintended consequences of chaotic effect (remember the butterfly in Brazil causing a tornado in Texas?) began to unravel. VAG production is/was down 2/3 across ALL lines including Audi. Even though the R8 (amongst our simplest electronics-packaged vehicles) was nearly the least affected - BUT, the fact that other lines were, those effects (mutually coordinated shop logistics for example) began to run amok and cause new issues of just lack of simple reporting that quickly affected production regardless parts availability - then, there is/was labor outages due to new social closings (in the EU at least) fear of Delta and now Omicron... and on, and on.

I spend a lot of time on Audizine with RS 6/RS 7 folks discussing this and more almost ad nauseum and often to no avail, since folks just want their darn cars and THEY don't have these problems in their microcosms, so just don't 'see' what's really going on. So again, no meaning to offend, just be aware. And for now, NO allocations ANYWHERE. If some dealer says they have one, ask to see it. Get a Comm No with a Factory Order status AND a schedule for production. PM it to me and I'll verify it for you.

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
I ordered a new Huracan Evo AWD last May, just before things really got crazy, and finally got my allocation in December for a May build. At least I got it for MSRP with a small discount, they are now going for well over sticker. Even crazier prices on used.

Reactions: DaveR-NYC

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Hopefully since you are number one for an allocation you will get one. Lambo dealers are sitting on so many orders some wont get allocations

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
Zero.. it was Atlanta Audi. They said they have a ton of dealerships and as a general rule never go over MSRP. BOFA made me fly down to sign the paperwork in person though which was kind of annoying
Small price to pay ($100 airfare ?) haha
I know...its more the time spent but still worth it in my opinion (and yours I guess, since you did it :) )

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
The dealership actually paid for my hotel and airfare.. I think they wanted the commission from the financing because I said I would just pay cash then
Even better!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Audi Marietta said they would do the same for me. They also seem to have been selling like 10 R8s a month for a while so I ordered through them and plan to fly down when (if) the car comes in....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts