Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been searching for an R8 for about 6 months now. I've narrowed down the spec to a 2017 convertible in Ibis White, black side blade and diamond stitch seats.

Problem is I can't seem to find anything fitting this description. I had seen one listed locally here in Canada last summer for $170k but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I've gone to Audi dealers and a couple other places but no one seems to have any leads.

My question is, when you were purchasing your R8, was it this difficult as well? Or is this just due to the covid induced market? I know any car I find will be asking around $190k, is the extra $20k worth it given that prices are starting to flatten/decline? Are my requirements just too specific for this to work? I'd ideally want something before summer.

Any advice/suggestions help!

·
Registered
2022 Audi R8
119 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Audi R8 Performance RWD (ETA March 2023)
146 Posts
Hi guys, been searching for an R8 for about 6 months now. I've narrowed down the spec to a 2017 convertible in Ibis White, black side blade and diamond stitch seats.

Problem is I can't seem to find anything fitting this description. I had seen one listed locally here in Canada last summer for $170k but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I've gone to Audi dealers and a couple other places but no one seems to have any leads.

My question is, when you were purchasing your R8, was it this difficult as well? Or is this just due to the covid induced market? I know any car I find will be asking around $190k, is the extra $20k worth it given that prices are starting to flatten/decline? Are my requirements just too specific for this to work? I'd ideally want something before summer.

Any advice/suggestions help!
How about this one? Still available. 17, spyder, white, diamond stitched red interior

Used Audi R8 for Sale in Brampton, ON - CarGurus.ca

Unfortunately pre-pandemic I'm sure this would have been in the 170ish CAD range (or even less) going by what I saw in 2020. The 17-18 years, especially plus models are now creeping back to near 200K CAD territory. Personally, I was hesitant to purchased used at these increased prices, which was why I put a order in for new (which I may not see at this rate.) I think I would have only been willing to pay these market adjusted prices with the Gen 1 manuals as they continued to stay hot, but Canadian cars have now started to hit those US numbers.

It's really hard to gauge if/when there will be a correction, and if these cars now commanding 20K premiums will get hit hard in the next few years.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How about this one? Still available. 17, spyder, white, diamond stitched red interior

Unfortunately pre-pandemic I'm sure this would have been in the 170ish CAD range (or even less) going by what I saw in 2020. The 17-18 years, especially plus models are now creeping back to near 200K CAD territory. Personally, I was hesitant to purchased used at these increased prices, which was why I put a order in for new (which I may not see at this rate.) I think I would have only been willing to pay these market adjusted prices with the Gen 1 manuals as they continued to stay hot, but Canadian cars have now started to hit those US numbers.

It's really hard to gauge if/when there will be a correction, and if these cars now commanding 20K premiums will get hit hard in the next few years.
This car is very close to where I live and I believe I have seen it at Sherwood Motors when I tried to buy a GT3 from them. Sherwood is typically on the high end on thier asking price and I would think you could probably get this car for 185 - 190 CDN.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Yes I had inquired about this car back in December as it said it was Ibis White on their website but when I called the salesman said it's actually Suzuka Grey. I figured I'd wait till an Ibis White pops up but nothing has come up. Also, this car was sitting on their lot for a while before I called so it's been for sale for over 5-6 months now. The salesman followed up with me a couple times saying someone had put a deposit but it's still showing as listed. Otherwise this would be the perfect spec.

There was a similar convertible listed a couple weeks ago at Pfaff Porsche but was in Vegas Yellow for $189k. Again, really close to what I want but just the wrong colour. Gets a bit frustrating waiting this long and paying a premium!

edit: Also, I noticed there's no exhaust option on the steering wheel on that R8? Is that an extra option? I didn't know about that

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was fairly fortunate to find mine within about 2 months of starting my search (which was more of a curse up to this point if you see some of my other posts). However I was looking for a Gen 1 manual so a different market somewhat.

The current world situation isn’t helping at all combined with an in demand product along with if you have a certain spec you’re looking for narrows down the options that much more.

Unfortunately you may have to wait a while for the right one to come available but it’s better to do that than settle for one that isn’t 100% what you want.

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I looked for a very long time for mine. I specifically wanted a 2018 White RWS with the red factory stripe on it, carbon fiber inside, and 20" wheels. It took me a solid 6 months + to find one that was not extremely overpriced. I'm very happy I pulled the trigger and I know you will too.
After buying it, I reached out to Audi and found out they only brought the following numbers to the US:
  • 319 - 2018 Audi R8s sold in the U.S.
  • 109 - 2018 Audi R8s with the Ibis White exterior sold in the U.S.
  • 51 - 2018 Audi R8s with the Ibis White exterior and Express Red interior sold in the U.S.
So I was looking for 1 of 109 cars brought to the US, of which I wanted the red stripe, carbon fiber, and 20" wheels, which made it that much more difficult to find.

If you find one in the spec you want, send the VIN over to Audi and they will be happy to get you the numbers they sent me.

Reactions: FATTONY001

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked for a very long time for mine. I specifically wanted a 2018 White RWS with the red factory stripe on it, carbon fiber inside, and 20" wheels. It took me a solid 6 months + to find one that was not extremely overpriced. I'm very happy I pulled the trigger and I know you will too.
After buying it, I reached out to Audi and found out they only brought the following numbers to the US:
  • 51 - 2018 Audi R8s with the Ibis White exterior and Express Red interior sold in the U.S.
So I was looking for 1 of 109 cars brought to the US, of which I wanted the red stripe, carbon fiber, and 20" wheels, which made it that much more difficult to find.

If you find one in the spec you want, send the VIN over to Audi and they will be happy to get you the numbers they sent me.
Awesome, thanks for the insight. I don't feel as bad about waiting this long now. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for the right one to get listed.

Does anyone happen to know what the MSRP used to be for a new 2017 R8 convertible when they first came out?

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Not anything against Ibis, as that’s what my car is also… but Suzuka is such a great color. It’s almost white with just a touch of pearlescent light gray. And certainly far fewer examples produced in this color. Would likely retain value better too since it’s less common. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: Webb701

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,614 Posts
Yes I had inquired about this car back in December as it said it was Ibis White on their website but when I called the salesman said it's actually Suzuka Grey. I figured I'd wait till an Ibis White pops up but nothing has come up. Also, this car was sitting on their lot for a while before I called so it's been for sale for over 5-6 months now. The salesman followed up with me a couple times saying someone had put a deposit but it's still showing as listed. Otherwise this would be the perfect spec.

There was a similar convertible listed a couple weeks ago at Pfaff Porsche but was in Vegas Yellow for $189k. Again, really close to what I want but just the wrong colour. Gets a bit frustrating waiting this long and paying a premium!

edit: Also, I noticed there's no exhaust option on the steering wheel on that R8? Is that an extra option? I didn't know about that
I’m all for getting exactly what you want, especially when paying a premium like you are in todays market. I totally understand not even considering Vegas Yellow as it’s so far from what your desire to have a white R8 but Suzuka gray is a great color and it’s very close to white,

I always say if you have a Suzuka gray car and say, for example someone wants to call the cops on you, there’s no way they’re calling in and saying a grey R8 just blew by me on the highway, no, they’re saying a white R8 just blew by me because it appears white. Unless it’s parked literally next to a white car in a parking lot, the car looks like white with a slight grey in it.
You might wait another 6 months or more for a white R8 to pop up. If you like the spec otherwise, I say go for the Suzuka grey.

As for the exhaust button question, yes Sport exhaust is an option on non plus/performance models and standard on plus and performance models here in Canada.

Reactions: Webb701 and r8van

·
Registered
185 Posts
Importing a r8 from Europe is a option.

here’s three I found in Europe:
(some are not the exact spec you wanted but I thought they were nice anyways)

My r8 is imported from germany to Sweden, i also know guys who imports their 911 from different parts of europe. Generally they are in perfect condition.

I would be happy to help you if importing is a option. I got close connections with “bilkompaniet” (the owner have a crazy 0 mile collection including a delivery mile Carrera gt), they can handle exporting cars of this caliber.

Shoot me a pm if I can help, I would see it as a fun project.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be patient and you won't be sorry. It took me 9 months to find a Suzuka / Red car (26 made in 17) and I am so glad I waited.
I am in the same boat as mhenry. Got a couple of deposits down and waiting. I do not mind the wait even if the car gets here summer 2023 but our wise federal government will be adding a luxury tax applicable as of september 1st of this year and the 20-30k more it will cost me in taxes is a pretty gigantic turnoff to say the least... So I am considering other cars now hoping to close something before that date

·
Registered
203 Posts

Where can you find the specs? I have a '22 Quattro Suzuka Grey w/ every option and red calipers and would love those numbers.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,614 Posts
I am in the same boat as mhenry. Got a couple of deposits down and waiting. I do not mind the wait even if the car gets here summer 2023 but our wise federal government will be adding a luxury tax applicable as of september 1st of this year and the 20-30k more it will cost me in taxes is a pretty gigantic turnoff to say the least... So I am considering other cars now hoping to close something before that date
is the tax 100% coming into effect September?
Also, does it apply to used vehicles or only new?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Importing a r8 from Europe is a option.

here’s three I found in Europe:
(some are not the exact spec you wanted but I thought they were nice anyways)

My r8 is imported from germany to Sweden, i also know guys who imports their 911 from different parts of europe. Generally they are in perfect condition.

I would be happy to help you if importing is a option. I got close connections with “bilkompaniet” (the owner have a crazy 0 mile collection including a delivery mile Carrera gt), they can handle exporting cars of this caliber.

Shoot me a pm if I can help, I would see it as a fun project.
The last one is exactly how I'd want mine to be. I don't think importing from Europe to Canada is easy though unfortunately due to the regulations unless the car is 15 years or older. The prices in Europe seem to be very fair after converting as well. I'll look around for brokers that specialize in importing cars from Europe but I've never heard of it happening on a newer car, thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Where can you find the specs? I have a '22 Quattro Suzuka Grey w/ every option and red calipers and would love those numbers.
Go to the Audi website and enter the chat. Send them your vin. They will only be able to send you numbers by exterior and interior color like I listed. They don't have numbers for various other options.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts