Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is my R8 (v10 Gen1) not feeling that fast?

This sounds crazy but I've had the car about a year and although I don't drive it that much I feel that I might have just got a bit used to the power. It doesn't happen all the time I drive. Sometimes it blows me away and other times it just doesn't.

I don't know if this happens to all cars that you own in time. Maybe it's just an iron law that however quick your machine you will just get used to it.

I wonder if the way I drive it makes it feel faster sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car, just hard to judge whether I've become a bit desensitized to it.

Anyone else get this?

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I think it depends how you're feeling inside when you go out for a drive, if you're totally calm and have no worries and there's nothing happening around you to cause alarm, then you can be at one with the car and in control, other distractions (mental or physical) take away your concentration and things happen quickly so it feels that you're going faster. This is more apparent when you're riding a high powered motorcycle. Just a thought !

·
Registered
939 Posts
I do believe it is a perception issue. I have felt that way at some point with all of my vehicles. There is an easy reset/rectification: Go dirve a piece of sh!t for a couple of days. Blam! When you get back into it, all is right in the universe again. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to have had some quick cars and the 1st thing I actually stop using fully is the throttle! These cars nowadays are so quick it's jail territory after only 10 seconds or so. I had mine mapped and a Miltek it really did make a difference as in very quick to now quite scary. I mainly enjoy the sound and the lovely throttle response of a large normally aspirated one of the all time greatest engines. We are so lucky cos the likes will never be made again very soon, enjoy it while you can! 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drive a Ford Transit 250 van daily. So, pretty much anything feels like a rocket ship following that. But I have found since my acquisition of the V10, my wife’s RS5 feels slow(er) now. It’s all relative.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's funny you said this. What I have found with this car is if you want to get the highest performance from it, it needs to live above 5k rpm. It's a beast at that level. The other thing is what I call linear. This car just pulls and for that fact it will not seem fast, but it is. The linear power just goes. An easy car to go fast. I love it everytime I drive it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
There are likely several things at play - many already mentioned.

The largest is just conditioning. Anything you experience over and over again will never feel the way it did when you first experienced it or whether you experienced it less frequently and among other dissimilar experiences. Hence, "mixing it up" is always good advice - "resetting" as put by GT#298.

Another may simply be your own driving behavior that day. I've noticed that when I'm in a certain "zone," everything feels more intense and precise. Other days, I'm just a bit more numb to those stimuli, and things inevitably feel different between the two.

Yet another factor can also be the roads and environment. It's funny how the surroundings can make things feel fast or slow simply based on how comfortable you are (or aren't) and familiar (or not) you are with those surroundings. Basically, it explains why accelerating on a tight, narrow, twisting road will feel a lot more intense than a flat, straight, wide-open desert road.

Today's cars are just really fast... much faster than we really need to find excitement. But any of the above can give you some numbness eventually - R8 or any other car. While I like the burst of acceleration from time to time, I do try to also tune in to everything else I love about the R8... the joyous balance of the chassis in the corners, the silky smooth and linear power delivery of the engine, the whine of the engine behind my head and the barking of the exhaust from out the window... and then, of course, finding that perfect little stretch of road that allows you to exercise it all in unison, while also pushing the car very hard (such as a full throttle acceleration out of a tight corner), and there it is... perfection! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
My Aston redlined at 6800 and when I switched to the R8 I still find myself short shifting.

But I've always wondered. Wouldn't your best bang for the buck come at shifting at the peak of the torque curve? I'm under the impression that torque and HP sort of equate to Amps and Volts. Where you can have a gazillion volts but the amps will kill you. When I take the R8 to redline, past about 7000 it doesn't really feel like its still pulling hard.

Feel free to enlighten my ignorance.

·
Registered
773 Posts
what I find helped was:
1)exhaust 2) pedalbox 3) after the first two became ordinary added a VF S.C.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
what I find helped was:
1)exhaust 2) pedalbox 3) after the first two became ordinary added a VF S.C.
+1000. Exact. same issue I had after owning my 2012 V10MT for several years and going thru steps 1 & 2. Step 3 is the way to go! Ecstatic VF750 customer! TT would be other path if you are looking for crazy HP and ready to step up to the serious racer club :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member here though I’ve been lurking for a while. I too was expecting more. I have had a V8 for about a year. Wanted more power so I just bought a V10, I thought there would be a bigger difference.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tune it and there will be

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's not slow but it's certainly not fast either. Speed is very relative. Speed is also something you build a tolerance for (like a drug). Learn to enjoy what you have and your wallet will thank you. I stopped chasing speed a few years ago and it's given me the opportunity to not only enjoy what I have more but to have more money to spend on other cars (rather than dumping it all into one).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have a VF750 supercharger with pulleys for your v10 1st gen if you are interested, awesome jump of power and im selling for petty cheap

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
New member here though I’ve been lurking for a while. I too was expecting more. I have had a V8 for about a year. Wanted more power so I just bought a V10, I thought there would be a bigger difference.
Have it mapped to remove the restrictor then you'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My stock R8 V10 S-tronic Spyder:

top speed: 311 km/hr
0-100 km/hr: 3.8 sec
0-200 km/hr: 12.4 sec

Is this a slow car?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Meh, cars are getting faster and faster these days. R8 was fast when it came out but now it's pretty tame. Just something you gotta get used to and learn to appreciate the car for other qualities.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts