Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying an R8 V10 and I prefer automated manual gearboxes over manual ones (I particularly like the F1 gearbox in Ferrari 430's and 599's and the dual clutch gearbox in cars like the new 911 and the Nissan GT-R).

I have heard that the R-tronic gearbox in the R8 does not compare well to the cars I mentioned above. On the other hand, I have heard that the sequential manual gearbox in the new Lambo LP560 is quite good and certainly comparable to the Ferrari 430 gearbox. So, will Audi use the same R-tronic system in the R8 V10 as they used for the LP560? Or will it be the same one as in the current R8?

Also, can anyone reading this who has an R8 and has a 430 or a 599 compare the R-tronic to the Ferrari F1 gearbox system or compare it to the Lambo LP560 system.

Lastly, for any R8 owners out there with the R-tronic gearbox, can you describe its pros and cons for me. What does it do best and what are its shortcomings? How does it perform on the track vs. in daily driving on the street?

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
if they are, they certainly did not make any news of it at Detroit. We shall see as that is the one item that holds me back from getting Rtronic over the manual. However, the manual shifting / clicking is just sweet noise to my ears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an F430 with paddles, a Gallardo with E-gear and an R8 with the paddles. The R8 has the same box as the Lambo (look at your window sticker and the statement of origin for the R8 trans is Italy). The R8 trans feels identical to the Lambo version while the F430 shifts slightly quicker. They are all quite refined and in my opinion add to the fun of driving each car. YMMV.

·
Registered
311 Posts
AFAIK, the R-tronic is an updated e-gear system, hence the LP560 will be the same box albeit with some improvements (perhaps). Magnetti Marelli system. It is not the case that e-gear is better than R-tronic, they are essentially the same. Changes are more to do with tuning of the software. BTW I am an advocate of R-tronic. IMHO there is a lot of nonsense talked about this type of system, especially the latest generations, by people who have little experience of driving them.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
:DWith my automatic I have never had so much fun shifting.I need to drag race another R8 but with standard to be sure my R tronic shifts quicker.But I have been shifting very Quickly lately as I am getting the hang of the car lately. 3,500 miles now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have an F430 with paddles, a Gallardo with E-gear and an R8 with the paddles. The R8 has the same box as the Lambo (look at your window sticker and the statement of origin for the R8 trans is Italy). The R8 trans feels identical to the Lambo version while the F430 shifts slightly quicker. They are all quite refined and in my opinion add to the fun of driving each car. YMMV.
The real question though is whether the V10 R8 gets the same gearbox improvements as the LP560. The E-gear in the Lp560 is different from the one in the standard Gallardo.

I could only assume that the V10 R8 uses the LP560 box, as it wouldn't make sense to build an outdated gearbox as well as it's successor, especially when they are practically the same car.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The real question though is whether the V10 R8 gets the same gearbox improvements as the LP560. The E-gear in the Lp560 is different from the one in the standard Gallardo.

I could only assume that the V10 R8 uses the LP560 box, as it wouldn't make sense to build an outdated gearbox as well as it's successor, especially when they are practically the same car.
AFAIK the LP506 Gearbox is a major improvement over the Gallardo E-Gear. Shifts much quicker and harder. I doubt the V10 R8 will get the same as the LP-560, in fact, I recall Kreso saying it won't.

·
Registered
482 Posts
it will be a great disappointment to me if they do not go with an updated gearbox. Fingers crossed, otherwise, it's manual for me

·
Registered
31 Posts
R8 and LP650 have identical gearboxes manufatured by Graziano in Italy.

Software is different between the 2.

First generation of Gallardo E-gear was different to the R8 and LP as all the hydraulics (for shifting actuator unit) were not incorporated into one unit as they are now.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
:D:DAfter a couple of days of drivig the R 8 ,I find myself trying to paddle shift my other cars even though they don't have paddles.Will there be performance or any other computer upgrades for my '08 R8 when I go in for service?:D:eek::D:eek::cool::D:eek::D

·
Registered
935 Posts
R8 and LP650 have identical gearboxes manufatured by Graziano in Italy.

Software is different between the 2.

First generation of Gallardo E-gear was different to the R8 and LP as all the hydraulics (for shifting actuator unit) were not incorporated into one unit as they are now.
Yes, you are correct. Graziano make the boxes, BUT I'm sure the control units (Magnetti Marelli) and software difference between the R8 and LP560 are significant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts