Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting this car sometime in 2010/maybe 2011 ....im fairly young still and i was just wondering if i would ever get dirty/jealous looks from driving this car?

another thing that worries me is cops. this car draws alot of attention, so im pretty sure if they saw a young man driving it, they would love to harass him.

i even worry about vandalism from jealous people. has this ever been an issue?

is it awkward to drive this car if you are a young person?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes, it gets all the attention in the world. I don't know where you live but I don't see why cops would want to harrass you just because you're young and in a R8. I am 27 and never encountered that problem. Several cops actually gave me thumbs up and the "respect head shake". Other gave me speeding tickets. :)

There will always be jealous people, forget them. I assume you have a place to garage or park your cars at night. If so, then -1 worry.

Street parking while shopping or eating or whatever is not a problem either (at least here in Montreal). People take pictures in front of it and look at it. Want to see the inside, the engine bay, etc.

Ackward to drive a R8 and being young? Hellz no! It's double-cool (no offense to our older members ;)).

Like Harrison said "Drive it like you stole it!".

You're worrying before you have it, what will you do when you have it? :confused: Stop worrying! It's just a car in the end. Heck of a car! When you have it, just have fun and be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I guess it depends where you live and how you act.

If you act like a moron, people are far more likely to take a dislike to you and your car - whatever car that is, but an r8 is far more visible and memorable.

If you're respectful of others and don't court negative attention then I imagine most people will simply enjoy seeing the car and be glad for you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Agree with Ramdombloke!!

I've had my car just over a week now and every reaction to the car has been very positive. People talk when filling up and generally smile and wave. The car does not have any "baggage" like a Porsche where many people perceive the owners as arrogant, whether they are or are not.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I had a guy almost run into back of my car while he was taking pictures with his cell phone.
I never had this much attention with my 997TT.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Now I feel really old.... what do you mean young? 17 young? 22 young? MOst normal people just react about the car, not the person driving it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No dirty looks. Just very positive responses from everyone. Lots of waves and thumbs up out the window. People always want to take pictures of the car. Guys let me park the car in a 'loading zone' only, because it attracts attention. A tour bus was driving by my parked car, and it actually slowed down so the tourists on the bus could take pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
No dirty looks. Just very positive responses from everyone. Lots of waves and thumbs up out the window. People always want to take pictures of the car. Guys let me park the car in a 'loading zone' only, because it attracts attention. A tour bus was driving by my parked car, and it actually slowed down so the tourists on the bus could take pictures.
If the "depression" gets bad enough, we'll probably see some guys "barnstorming" with their R8's like pilots did with their planes in the '20's and '30's: show up at a county fair and charge $5 for a ride in an R8;);)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The other day I missed a good foto op. Parents with 5 children along side us . That's a total of 13 thumbs.The driver kept one hand on the wheel. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
In my case it has been overwhelmingly, but not completely positive. There are people out there that automatically resent people that drive high end vehicles. I had one guy pull alongside me and try to hit the car with a cigarette butt he was throwing out the window. On a couple of other occasions I have had people almost stalk me while crawling almost half way out the window to give me the finger. In all of these cases, I was doing nothing to draw attention to myself.

These experiences are far outweighed by the good ones though.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If they throw a cigarette at your car, you throw a grenade at their's...easily dealt with :D
but grenades are sooo messy:rolleyes:

see, that's why you all in the UK need to reconsider handgun ownership for the UK subject;););)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You have guns, we have knives, both cause damage so we have the same mindset :D

P.S i don't carry a knife around with me i'm a good boy :eek:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Like they teach in sniper school ...when the last bullet is spent we use knives. Some places in Canada must really suck these days. Must be too many dope heads there and Love street must have disappeared!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
but grenades are sooo messy:rolleyes:

see, that's why you all in the UK need to reconsider handgun ownership for the UK subject;););)
As the guy in Wades Gunshop and Range told me - "Thats because YOU are a SUBJECT and I am a CITIZEN'

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The majority of attention is good. Lots of picts, waves, smiles, pointing, etc.

One annoyiong part is people pacing you on the freeway. They speed up and get right besides you and kind of pin you in at times.

I have had a little police interest so far. I was pulled over twice in one day because I did not have plates on yet and they could not see the paper in the window. The first officer admitted that he really just wanted to see the car. I watched him roll a red light to follow me and I knew I was going to be pulled over, but it took a while. I still accelerated decently hard (but only to the speed limit) from a couple of stops with him behind me. When he pulled me over, he was very impressed with the looks and sound of the car, and that is with the stock exhaust. He looked at my info and we talked about the car a while. I have seen him since and he smiled and nodded at me. The other officer was a traffic cop and acted like he had a stick up his back side. He looked at my info and let me go, but he needs to work on his personality. I did have a third officer pull into a parking lot after me to check out the car. I was getting out of the car and he rolled up. He was real polite and just wanted to look at it and talk a bit.

The good attention way outweighs the bad...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts