Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first saw this car on Top Gear, I instanty thought supercar. But after considering more I am unsure. Whats your opinion? Explain your answers

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I don't think the performance/power in the current market warrants the full "supercar" tag - it's like a "supercar lite".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought this as well, but if you look at the Top Gear power lap times, the only car in this price range which beat it, is the baby ferrari f430

·
Registered
943 Posts
I dont think so. Nowadays, that term, for me, is associated with the most exotic of exotics. Zonda, Koenniggsegg, Enzo, F40, F50, etc. Sure, a Scuderia is probably just as fast as nearly all of them arund the track, but I wouldn't associate it with them. These days it's more about production numbers.

Pretty soon everything will be just as fast, I mean, performance is reaching it's pinnacle. 0-60 in mid-low 3's is coming around. It's not like you are ever going to see 0-60 in .5 or 0-200 in 5. The horsepower and speed wars are over. It's going to be about efficiency now. The supercar as we used to know it is coming to an end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is the supercar for me. I wanted a car that is fast but usable every day when two seats are enough - even better when it brings some attention ;-). It is nice and comfortable inside. I tried an f430 yesterday the whole day. It is so much more adrenaline that you just keep pushing the pedal until your license is taken or kill someone (including yourself). Brilliant fun but not for the streets. And, R8 is just slightly more than half cost (at least in our country), with enough power and good looks, but without headaches from 8 hrs engine noise and rough ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think so. Nowadays, that term, for me, is associated with the most exotic of exotics. Zonda, Koenniggsegg, Enzo, F40, F50, etc. Sure, a Scuderia is probably just as fast as nearly all of them arund the track, but I wouldn't associate it with them. These days it's more about production numbers.

Cars such as the zonda, koenniggsegg and enzo, are now being called hypercars.

And in terms of production numbers, only 25 R8's are produced a day, and almost entirely hand built

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also think that the Audi is not as crazy as such as the f430, because of Audi's brand image and target market. What do you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
R8 not a Supercar but is a Super Car!!!

Think these days a Supercar has to be something that can top out in the 195-200mph+ region and get to 60 mph in sub 4.5 secs.

Don't think lap times or build numbers come into it, but I do think that looks and cost have to be a factor and IMHO would suggest a min of £120,000 to join such a club.

It's when you start factoring in things like bhp or engine size/cylinder count that it gets REALLY complicated.

To give examples (and this is only my opinion so don't beat me up guys!):

I would say that a 997 Turbo is NOT a Supercar but a 997 GT2 is.
I would say that an R8 is NOT a Supercar but a Gallardo is.
I would say that a Bently Conti GT is NOT a Supercar but an Aston DBS is

Cheers.

Paul.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let's get this straight..

Supercars are rubbish - they are noisy, unreliable, difficult to drive and rediculous prices, and cost a fortune to run, when they are running. You cannot use them on a daily basis.

The R8 is not a supercar, as it has none of the above attributes.

It is desirable, reasonably fast, well built, beautiful and can be used daily.

It IS a super sports car. what other car would you want in it's place?

Jon P

·
Registered
90 Posts
think the R8 is a supercar although it is quite exotic and there are a limited number of them.
R8Jon I found the F430 very easy to drive and comfortable and very quiet whilst cruising along a bypass

·
Registered
178 Posts
Supercar is a very emotive description. I agree with r8Jon, generally supercars are exotic and hugely impractical. If thats the criteria we apply then the R8 doesn't get to join the club. 4 months into my ownership of the car and I just love it. Fast,but not mentally so, but wait, its also comfortable for a whole days driving, and practical, and tractible around town . This car must be the ultimate Grand Tourer don't you agree.
I reckon that it is hard for those of us fortunate enough to own, or be about to own an R8 to be objective. I think if you were a hard up guy who can only dream of owning an R8 ,and have to make do with drooling over car mags or hanging around car showrooms,then you would undoubtably think it a Supercar. It has the looks , the performance AND exclusivity that puts it in the Supercar category even if it is not in the hypercar performance league.
As r8John says "what other car would you have in its place". Well for me, nothing, I'm happy where I am Supercar or not!!:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Agreed, if I won the lottery, the R8 would probably still be my daily drive with one or two exotics for messing about in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, if impracticality,and unreliabilty are attributes, where does this put the mclearen slr? priced over 300,000. I think it unfair to call the r8 not a supercar, just because audi tried to make it more sensible and easy to use

·
Registered
67 Posts
The R8 just isn't fast enough for inclusion as a Supercar.
The R10 may rectify that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts