Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered my R8 about a year ago and the wait has been intense to say the least. At the begining I was in love, just by seeing the pics on the Web. Then I was worried about the performance, understeering and capabilities. Some of the latest reviews put these issues to rest. HOWEVER, today I experienced the UNBELIEVABLE!

My Dealer organised an R8 Discovery Tour in Neckarsulm Germany. I am on holidays in Italy ATM, so I jumped on a plane to Stuttgart and headed off to Neckarsulm - The birthplace of the R8!!

Words. Videos. Pics. Expletives. Stories. Do this car NO justice! If you have ordered this car. You have just purchased a finely tuned, precision engineered, weapon!!

The tour of the R8 Production Line was amazing. I have never seen so many R8's in one place. ASF built from scratch by hand. Welding and Component tolerances monitored at every stage. I can't tell you how much I saw or how much info I found.

Every R8 spends about 10 mins on a Dyno with all it's vital signs being monitored, then once all checks have been cleared. It is taken to....
YES.......the Test Track at Neckarsulm. The drivers sole purpose it to Drive the car **** hard and ensure all is OK. That's right. Every R8 after Dyno heads to this track and get's hammered. AND ALL I CAN SAY IS.... F**K ME DEAD!! :)

Threee R8's headed out. One Silver R-Tronic executed a Launch Control start about 50m from me and the experience was litterly mesmering. :D

I can't begin tell you how increadible it sounded or how mesmirising it looked or how stable and focused it was. The E Gear just snapped through the gears like an F1 car as it dissappeared into the horizon.

Then a White R8 appears from the horizon pushing some serious speed. Easily more the 200KM/H around a Big Left Hander. The car was flat. In control. No bodyroll. A laser guided missile. Then the driver executes an emergency stop from this insane speed!!! The car is squirming under the forces and pressure. The back is trying snap out but stay's tight as the R8 pulls up at a mind bending rate.

Gentlemen. I am enthusiast. I have driven some special cars. I have raced them on tracks. BUT, TODAY, the R8 was PROVEN.

It is worth every dollar. You will be proud to own it. You will own a part of history and You will own the future. It DOES have the capability to take on Ferrari and Lambo on a racetrack. Maybe not on a drag strip or in HP wars. BUT, no other car this side of an Enzo has been this engineered to this degree NOR is this stable or focused on a racetrack.

The R8 has earned it's stripes. I can't wait to get mine in October!!!!
I URGE anyone that can access Germany easily and has ordered an R8, to DO THIS TOUR. You will appreciate your R8 in a NEW light. This car IS groundbreaking! Neckarsulm is an unbelievable experience. If this is Audi's first attempt at a Mid Engine, 2 seater. We are in for one HELL of a ride as the R8 is developed over the coming years..... Have no doubts about YOUR order. You have purchased a Laser Guided Weapon!! To truly see the potential of this car, you need to see it on the limit!! I am SOOO excited. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had the tour and I agree fully with you.

Thank you for your great write up!

·
Registered
564 Posts
was a pleasure to read this - thanks... ;) (and we never had doubt.. :D - just took a long time for the media to realise that this really is a prescision weapon)

heres again the movie clip, which shows the neckarsulm manufacture from the inside... if you didnt see it yet.
http://www.kabeleins.de/auto/videos/sonstiges/artikel/11032/

and Did anyone see THE big article they had in this months EVO..?
their test track is " Bedford Autodrome"? check the lap times (1.8miles):

.................... .......... ..... LAP .......... PEAK (mph)
Porsche Carrera GT..........1:19.70 .......... 120.5
Caterham CSR 260 ..........1:21.00 .......... 112.8
McLaren F1 ........... ...... 1:21.20 .......... 120.2
Ferrari Enzo .......... ...... 1:21.30 .......... 120.9
R8 .......... ................... 1:22.10 .......... 113.7
Koenigsegg CCX ......... .. 1:22.30 .......... 120.0
Gallardo ........... .......... 1:22.80 .......... 116.9
Porsche 911 (997) GT3 ... 1:23.40 .......... 114.4

and allow me one last quote from the 19 page!! article: (they compared it with 911 4CS / M6 & Prodrive Vantage)

... the first electric, extraordinary miles in the R8 -experienced after 766 straight in the C4S - make me feel uneasy. Something isn't right, and it's the car. OR maybe it's the tectonic plates beginning to shift beneath its wheels... I knew it would happen one day. Thing is, I didin't expect it to be at the wheel of an Audi. The revelation is as shocking as it is thrilling. Game's up. Porsche has made 1963 last for 44 years, now it's time to move on. ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't wait to drive one in a few weeks time. And I will visit Neckarsulm, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I ordered my R8 about a year ago and the wait has been intense to say the least. At the begining I was in love, just by seeing the pics on the Web. Then I was worried about the performance, understeering and capabilities. Some of the latest reviews put these issues to rest. HOWEVER, today I experienced the UNBELIEVABLE!

My Dealer organised an R8 Discovery Tour in Neckarsulm Germany. I am on holidays in Italy ATM, so I jumped on a plane to Stuttgart and headed off to Neckarsulm - The birthplace of the R8!!

Words. Videos. Pics. Expletives. Stories. Do this car NO justice! If you have ordered this car. You have just purchased a finely tuned, precision engineered, weapon!!
You should be an R8 salesman! Seriously though, I was hoping the auto mag reviewers would be as ecstatic as you seem to be. I know the reviews are mainly positive, it's just that the car is not the quantum leap some of us expected.

The tour of the R8 Production Line was amazing. I have never seen so many R8's in one place. ASF built from scratch by hand. Welding and Component tolerances monitored at every stage. I can't tell you how much I saw or how much info I found.

Every R8 spends about 10 mins on a Dyno with all it's vital signs being monitored, then once all checks have been cleared. It is taken to....
YES.......the Test Track at Neckarsulm. The drivers sole purpose it to Drive the car **** hard and ensure all is OK. That's right. Every R8 after Dyno heads to this track and get's hammered. AND ALL I CAN SAY IS.... F**K ME DEAD!! :)
If this is true, here's proof the break-in period is a load of crap!

Threee R8's headed out. One Silver R-Tronic executed a Launch Control start about 50m from me and the experience was litterly mesmering. :D

I can't begin tell you how increadible it sounded or how mesmirising it looked or how stable and focused it was. The E Gear just snapped through the gears like an F1 car as it dissappeared into the horizon.

Then a White R8 appears from the horizon pushing some serious speed. Easily more the 200KM/H around a Big Left Hander. The car was flat. In control. No bodyroll. A laser guided missile. Then the driver executes an emergency stop from this insane speed!!! The car is squirming under the forces and pressure. The back is trying snap out but stay's tight as the R8 pulls up at a mind bending rate.
Hope they don't bed my new brake pads like this!

Gentlemen. I am enthusiast. I have driven some special cars. I have raced them on tracks. BUT, TODAY, the R8 was PROVEN.

It is worth every dollar. You will be proud to own it. You will own a part of history and You will own the future. It DOES have the capability to take on Ferrari and Lambo on a racetrack. Maybe not on a drag strip or in HP wars. BUT, no other car this side of an Enzo has been this engineered to this degree NOR is this stable or focused on a racetrack.
Actually, it nearly is a Lambo (and it really should be about 500HP)!

The R8 has earned it's stripes. I can't wait to get mine in October!!!!
I URGE anyone that can access Germany easily and has ordered an R8, to DO THIS TOUR. You will appreciate your R8 in a NEW light. This car IS groundbreaking! Neckarsulm is an unbelievable experience. If this is Audi's first attempt at a Mid Engine, 2 seater. We are in for one HELL of a ride as the R8 is developed over the coming years..... Have no doubts about YOUR order. You have purchased a Laser Guided Weapon!! To truly see the potential of this car, you need to see it on the limit!! I am SOOO excited. :D
I agree - anyone buying this car or one of similar capabilities cannot fully appreciate it without some track time!

·
Registered
274 Posts
great post... only thing missing from the chart of exotics is the prices-
would make the r8 look like a "reasonably priced car"!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can promise you that every R8 goes through this procedure. Anyone who has done this R8 Tour will be able to confirm this. (GUILTY has been there) I had my cousin with me and he couldn't believe it. We were blown away!!!

To be honest Jeremy C and Fifth Gear are VERY excited about the car, because they KNOW how to drive Hard and Fast. They have vast amounts of experience. As for the other reviewers, they haven't been to Neckarsulm. They don't understand, nor have experienced what Resources and Technology have gone into the R8. I WAS the same. But, seriously, once you experience how focused these talented people are and the lengths they go to deliver a quality product. Once you've been to Neckarsulm, you will realise this car is worth every penny. You will have no doubts.

I also think people look at the 0-100km, 400m and HP figures and think "Oh, it's not that quick." BUT, on a track, in capable hands or someone with BIG coyones driving, this thing moves and sticks like nothing I've ever seen.

How the hell can you test the R8 by going for a 3000KM treck into the mountains OR driving around Las Vegas??? This car has capabilites that go much deeper!!! We will all be singing a different tune once we've had our R8 for a few months. TRUST ME.

I can also see why it might not feel fast when driving. Because it's sooo composed with no bodyroll. Every Rev Limited gear change on the Launchin R8 produced little or no body movement. This must be the adpative Magnetic Ride. The car stays flat. This trick piece of suspension is awesome.

I do sound Very Excited. It takes a lot to get me this pumped. Check out my previous posts. I've always been a little negative or weary. But Neckarsulm made things disgustingly clear!! :)

And yes, all RS4, RS6, A8 and R8 go to this test track. (100% Guarantee) I was there with my Cousin, he can confirm. Just me, my cus and Hans (Audi R8 Guy). Two boom gates for the Track. One for entry, one for exit. They continue doing about 3-5 laps until they are happy. The R8's exhaust note was bellowing off the walls of the surrounding plant buildings. It seriously sounded scary. But honestly, seeing that white R8 move soooo fast then brake sooo hard looked crazy and funny at the same time. It seemed surreal!!! I couldn't stop laughing and smiling!!!

As for running in. Yeah, I'll go easy on the thing for maybe 1000 then mix it up a bit with High Load, Low RPM hill climbs. Then open the baby UP!!! But YES, ALL R8's are dynoed and test tracked before going to final check point.

Production is well in advance also. They are all sorted. So, be patient. These talented guys will deliver your baby on time...Can't wait!!! :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
While I agree with you Neckarsulm tour review(I did the same thing almost one month ago...) I do not agree at all regarding break-in(or run-in) period.

It is stated in manual that you need to take it easy for first 2000km or so.
Other thing R8/RS4 engines are prone to high oil consumption in first 5000km's so, there is a BIG reason to take it easy until engine reaches out around 6000-7000km... Then you can push it(of course when the oil temperature is at optimum level).

Even Stephan Reil(Mr. R8) said to us to take it easy on first 3000km's...

If you want to push it out from the start you could do some damage to your engine-but, it is your car and your money...

Regarding manual vs. R-Tronic choice. Manual for me. Audi sended manual R8(with standard suspension, Ceramic brakes and Bucket seats) to German Sport Auto for their Supertest. Now, that speaks a lot, at least IMHO...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I can promise you that every R8 goes through this procedure. Anyone who has done this R8 Tour will be able to confirm this. (GUILTY has been there) I had my cousin with me and he couldn't believe it. We were blown away!!!

I can also see why it might not feel fast when driving. Because it's sooo composed with no bodyroll. Every Rev Limited gear change on the Launchin R8 produced little or no body movement. This must be the adpative Magnetic Ride. The car stays flat. This trick piece of suspension is awesome.

As for running in. Yeah, I'll go easy on the thing for maybe 1000 then mix it up a bit with High Load, Low RPM hill climbs. Then open the baby UP!!! But YES, ALL R8's are dynoed and test tracked before going to final check point.

Production is well in advance also. They are all sorted. So, be patient. These talented guys will deliver your baby on time...Can't wait!!! :D

The indeed Dyno en track the R8's when I was there. On the dyno the floor the pedal and they keep shifting up. There is a gas-alarm there (for too many fumes) but they didn't stop and keep on pushing the R8 :)

The testtrack is also used for every R8, that was told. I can't do any harm to your R8 (we floor our new rallycars from the beginning :) And we pad them at high speeds)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nope. Totally separate area. It's a massive warehouse which houses the production line, welding areas, paint shop, final assembly, dyno and final quality control. Only R8's are built in the R8 shop. They are built by trained staff who work solely on the R8. No other car is built anywhere near the R8. It's awesome! The R8 team really take pride in their work and they are as passionate about the R8 as us!

Audi Forum Neckarsulm is huge, it houses 13000 staff, they have a Bus to get you around the place! About 200m down the road is Quattro GmBH. These guys build the RS4, RS6 and A8. So perhaps this is where the confusion began.

So, in short, R8s only. The RS4 is built down the road. Hope that helps.

PS: 98% of the car is built by hand. They only use robots for the Special Aluminium Rivit Process they invented for the R8 and to assist when lifting the heavy components. (Engine, Gearbox, Dashboard etc) The ASF chassis is built in 3 distinct sections then joined together. Front, Occupant Safety Cell and Rear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nope. Totally separate area. It's a massive warehouse which houses the production line, welding areas, paint shop, final assembly, dyno and final quality control. Only R8's are built in the R8 shop. They are built by trained staff who work solely on the R8. No other car is built anywhere near the R8. It's awesome! The R8 team really take pride in their work and they are as passionate about the R8 as us!

Audi Forum Neckarsulm is huge, it houses 13000 staff, they have a Bus to get you around the place! About 200m down the road is Quattro GmBH. These guys build the RS4, RS6 and A8. So perhaps this is where the confusion began.

So, in short, R8s only. The RS4 is built down the road. Hope that helps.

PS: 98% of the car is built by hand. They only use robots for the Special Aluminium Rivit Process they invented for the R8 and to assist when lifting the heavy components. (Engine, Gearbox, Dashboard etc) The ASF chassis is built in 3 distinct sections then joined together. Front, Occupant Safety Cell and Rear.
Thank you so much! I'm being told (by an Audi fan, I should add, and an RS4 owner at that) that the cars are built on the same line. Further, that the RS4 production is now ceasing so they can build more R8s.

He's telling me the R8 isn't hand built, and the same grease monkeys and robots build the R8 as build the RS4.

I did tell him he was talking crap, but have pasted your post above in full, and hopefully the argument ends there :)

Many thanks again!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thank you so much! I'm being told (by an Audi fan, I should add, and an RS4 owner at that) that the cars are built on the same line. Further, that the RS4 production is now ceasing so they can build more R8s.

He's telling me the R8 isn't hand built, and the same grease monkeys and robots build the R8 as build the RS4.

I did tell him he was talking crap, but have pasted your post above in full, and hopefully the argument ends there :)

Many thanks again!

what a complete BS... how can someone, especially a Audi driver, have such complete false information?.. even in KABEL1 television car show they showed how precise they build the R8... every one talks bout low prod numbers etc... unbelievable how rumours can spread and manipulate minds ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts