Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I heard the V10 R8 will be ready by March 2009, is that true?
Do any of you have any information about the power of the V10, the extra-cost over the V8 or the weight it will add?

Also, what is the 4x4 system in the R8? Many told me it's the newer 60x40 quattro, many others said it's the Lambo owned 4x4. What is the distribution, how will it adapt in slippery conditions, also is there any lateral power distribution (as to an individual wheel, instead of the axle). Is this close to a RWD car when at the limits, or it's a regular/newer quattro feeling?

I did a search before asking, but something is wrong, cause I tried "R8 v10" and nothing, then tried just "V10" and still 0(zero) posts. That can't be right ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi guys,
Do any of you have any information about the power of the V10, the extra-cost over the V8 or the weight it will add?

Also, what is the 4x4 system in the R8? Many told me it's the newer 60x40 quattro, many others said it's the Lambo owned 4x4. What is the distribution, how will it adapt in slippery conditions, also is there any lateral power distribution (as to an individual wheel, instead of the axle). Is this close to a RWD car when at the limits, or it's a regular/newer quattro feeling?

I did a search before asking, but something is wrong, cause I tried "R8 v10" and nothing, then tried just "V10" and still 0(zero) posts. That can't be right ...
My information (coming from Audi Corporate) is the V-10 will be mid to late 2009. I was also told to expect the V-10 to be $25K to $35K more than the V-8, with a DEFINATE price increase for the 2009 MY so the price will be even greater. The Thorson distribution on the R8 is variable from 15% to 40% (actually I think the correct number is 36%) to the front wheels, full time. The only time I realize that my R8 is AWD is in a tight turn when the front wheels "scrub". At higher speed the AWD is seamless.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't think there is any official word on a release date. I would guess late 09, as there is still a mile long list of v8 orders.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Having driven an R8 at the One Day track course at Infineon, I would say the number one place you'll know it's awd is when you do a hi-rev "launch" and see (feel) all 4 wheels spin! The R8 awd system is NOT the torsen differential of (most of) the rest of the line, or even the Haldex system of the TT/A3/R3 but a viscous coupling system it shares with the Gallardo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just ordered a V10, got told to expect it mid 2009. New audi NA engine, 520bhp. Although not confirmed the R8 guy said this was 99% a sure thing with the Gallardo being upped to 550bhp to keep it slightly apart

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi guys,

There is no plan out of Audi for a V10, it is something that has been played with but no plan exist for it coming in 2010. Anyone telling you otherwise is guessing or getting misinformation. The list for the R8 is long and Audi got some interest on the Diesel, but if you want the car, order it. the R8 is more than powerful for me and I enjoy driving the car like it is. For the last year , alot of people on this website have talked about a convertible or the V10 coming out for 09 it is not in the plans yet. Didn't your mom teach you to not believe everything you read. Audi of America is not taking any deposits on a V10, but maybe the dealerships are starting a list, but that doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Jas667,

What part of the world are you from?
Hey, Im from the UK(bonny Scotland)

And I sure hope the V10 is coming cos they took a nice deposit from me for one. I think all you need to do is look at the extra room in the enginebay to know for sure...it is coming...and I cant wait! :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey, Im from the UK(bonny Scotland)

And I sure hope the V10 is coming cos they took a nice deposit from me for one. I think all you need to do is look at the extra room in the enginebay to know for sure...it is coming...and I cant wait! :)
They were taking deposits for the v10 before the v8 was released.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The black R8 spotted countless times flying around the ring with the blacked out engine bay, extra flared sideblades etc keeps me confident

·
Registered
718 Posts
I must, most respectfully, disagree with KADWAR.

I have met journalists who have been to the factory who have seen the new V10 engine, which is the V8 with 2 extra cylinders (i.e. a new engine, not simply an existing V10 from another range).

Although Audi UK cannot officialy confirm a V10, the unofficial view is that it is a near 100% certainty.

You are correct that they cannot build enough V8's, but does that mean all progress stops - no convertible, nothing - whilst they struggle to meet demand ??

No, it does not.

We all know from experiences on this forum that Audi UK are more forthcoming and better informed that AoA.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't think anyone denies that it will be coming, but all dates are speculation at this time.

BTW, if any of you guys go to club 24 in London and see the guy who stole my CC number spending tons of cash on my Amex, punch him for me then call the police.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I must, most respectfully, disagree with KADWAR.

I have met journalists who have been to the factory who have seen the new V10 engine, which is the V8 with 2 extra cylinders (i.e. a new engine, not simply an existing V10 from another range).

Although Audi UK cannot officialy confirm a V10, the unofficial view is that it is a near 100% certainty.

You are correct that they cannot build enough V8's, but does that mean all progress stops - no convertible, nothing - whilst they struggle to meet demand ??

No, it does not.

We all know from experiences on this forum that Audi UK are more forthcoming and better informed that AoA.
Let me clarify...... I'm sure the V10 is coming sooner or later, but it's not coming any time soon. Any guess that it's coming in 2009/10 is a wild guess. Thats the point I was trying to make.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kadwar,

Unofficial indications (in UK at least) are mid/late 2009.......
R8 V10...

5204ccm V10 FSI High reving
520hp(it is using different intake system then almost the same engine in new Gallardo LP560/4-560hp)
530Nm
310km/h
Manual and R-Tronic, NO S-Tronic!
New side skirts and wider side blades
Press intro late 2008(maybe Paris)
First LHD cars March 2009 in EU

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was at the factory in September and was quietly told the R10 was a go. I placed an "order" for the R10 in November and will trade my R8 in when my R10 comes in. Note: I have no idea when that will actually be... but sometime in 09 as a 2010 model makes some sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wedouglas sorry to hear about the cc number theft, same thing happened to me not long ago, the fu##ers were trying to order cars from ebay!!!

I am quietly confident it will be here mid 2009 but 2010 would only mean I have more time with my 110k odds :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
R8 V10...

5204ccm V10 FSI High reving
520hp(it is using different intake system then almost the same engine in new Gallardo LP560/4-560hp)
530Nm
310km/h
Manual and R-Tronic, NO S-Tronic!
New side skirts and wider side blades
Press intro late 2008(maybe Paris)
First LHD cars March 2009 in EU
Kreso,

I was wondering if they plan to keep the shelf behind the seats in the v10? Also, is the front the same as the v8 or the v12 TDI concept?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts