Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally love my car, but looking online I still see that Huracans are still a good $50-100k more, or thereabouts, depending on age, mileage, etc.

I'm just curious if there is any real advantage, other than appearance and "prestige" to upgrading to a Huracan from the higher performing V10 R8 models? Especially if you already have an aftermarket exhaust in the R8, which definitely makes it sound far more aggressive?

Perhaps this has already been discussed and debated before, but I thought I'd just ask for any opinions on this. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
319 Posts
I think you will be the only one who can make this decision. I picked R8 Performance because:

1) I like the dealership accessibility for Audi
2) Exotic but not too flashy
3) The performance is aggressive enough for my taste
4) Costs less (two third of the price of Huracan)
5) Better for daily use
6) Cheaper to maintain

If you like to be more flashy, prefer aggressive driving, louder exhaust (though you will get the same with aftermarket in R8), and have more money to spend, then yes, Huracan may be a better option.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think you need to drive one. Without driving one it's all just theoretical mind exercise. Drive your R8 down to the nearest Lambo dealership...I am certain they'll let you test drive one after seeing your R8. Then you'll have a much better idea. That's what I would do anyway.

I'm still enjoying my R8 v8 ha hahah, so I'm not there yet. But I can see it on the horizon. Unless I decide to buy a helicopter (I used to fly: private pilot) But I keep seeing the one I trained in for a little less than the price of a used Huracan - a Schweitzer 300

What takes about an hour on the road, takes about 15 minutes in the air (32 miles).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It depends on what you want;

The Huracan has a crappier interior in my opinion (seats are a bit cooler though). It is definitely more performance focused on the suspension side and of course the exterior appearance.

If you want to drive it a lot, especially a semi-daily then the R8 is by far the better choice. One thing that pushed me away from the Huracan is I don't like my car getting a lot of attention especially in NYC. That's why I ended up with Daytona Pearl too - yes the car is still noticeable and gets attention but not quite like a Verde Mantis Huracan.

It used to not be much of an upcharge for a Huracan vs R8 but now it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It depends on what you want;

The Huracan has a crappier interior in my opinion (seats are a bit cooler though). It is definitely more performance focused on the suspension side and of course the exterior appearance.

If you want to drive it a lot, especially a semi-daily then the R8 is by far the better choice. One thing that pushed me away from the Huracan is I don't like my car getting a lot of attention especially in NYC. That's why I ended up with Daytona Pearl too - yes the car is still noticeable and gets attention but not quite like a Verde Mantis Huracan.

It used to not be much of an upcharge for a Huracan vs R8 but now it's ridiculous.
What's weird is I feel a little self-conscious even in the R8. I had two women following me (borderline stalking me) in the car the other day. I am a married man (happily married). Whenever I get gas, people always stare.... for most people it's the most exotic car they see up close, if they are not into cars or car shows. But a lambo would be even worse!

I want a lambo deep down (I must), but I really don't enjoy attention. I'm more like the power guy behind the power kind of guy. For example, It would be pure hell for me to be famous. But ultra powerful. I think I could handle.

Reactions: Tupper and NYG

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What's weird is I feel a little self-conscious even in the R8. I had two women following me (borderline stalking me) in the car the other day. I am a married man (happily married). Whenever I get gas, people always stare.... for most people it's the most exotic car they see up close, if they are not into cars or car shows. But a lambo would be even worse!

I want a lambo deep down (I must), but I really don't enjoy attention. I'm more like the power guy behind the power kind of guy. For example, It would be pure hell for me to be famous. But ultra powerful. I think I could handle.
I had a lady follow me to the gas station one time just to beg me to sit in the car and tell her what model it was.

She was ugly so I told her I was running late to my meeting with the NFL commissioner. She believed me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL at these responses.

Yeah, I think the V10 R8 with modded exhaust fits me just right. Exotic and rare enough to get looks, fun to drive, but also I'm not that "Lamborghini guy". I also like to actually drive my car, I don't want this to be a garage queen. Miles = smiles

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
LOL at these responses.
Hey, I'm avoiding studying, and repair work on my sons A6 (again - 3rd time engine out). What's your excuse! ha ha hha

Yeah, I think the V10 R8 with modded exhaust fits me just right. Exotic and rare enough to get looks, fun to drive, but also I'm not that "Lamborghini guy". I also like to actually drive my car, I don't want this to be a garage queen. Miles = smiles
But we all understand the desire for the Lambo... it's just looks very super-car-ee.

Not only that, but the R8 is faster/Quicker than most people can utilize anyway. I'm not even considering real wheel drive! All those Ferrari guys who wreck them because they have no idea how to handle all the horse power to the rear wheels!

Reactions: Tupper

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I struggle with the Huracan... I do like the car a lot but it looks like a wish.com version of the Aventador.
I like them both.. I do not like the Gallardo though...ewwwwww.
I watched a YouTube video about a guy who has both and was comparing them (Huracan vs Aventador) and he said the Huracan is much more comfortable and if he had to get rid of one (which he was) it was the Aventador. He also had the Huracan with the VF Engineering supercharger, so HP was nearly the same.

Reactions: NYG

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Love the looks of the Huracan but feedback from some of those having driven them say the R8 is a better drive. More comfortable, better vision front and rear and more usable. And that's before you factor in the costs of servicing.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Love the looks of the Huracan but feedback from some of those having driven them say the R8 is a better drive. More comfortable, better vision front and rear and more usable. And that's before you factor in the costs of servicing.
I think I need to go drive one soon. ha hah ah h I need to know for myself what the Huracan feels like. Maybe this weekend, if it's not raining.... I can't take the curiosity factor!

Reactions: Trev450

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I like them both.. I do not like the Gallardo though...ewwwwww.
I watched a YouTube video about a guy who has both and was comparing them (Huracan vs Aventador) and he said the Huracan is much more comfortable and if he had to get rid of one (which he was) it was the Aventador. He also had the Huracan with the VF Engineering supercharger, so HP was nearly the same.
Agree on the Gallardo.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Huracan is lighter as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been on the fence about getting a Lamborghini Huracan or Aventador a lot in the past two years. Every time I talk myself into buying one, I head over to the Lamborghini dealer, test drive a Huracan or Aventador and be like... wtf my R8 is better on the interior by far, sounds better(aftermarket exhaust) and rides smoother... When I'm driving, I see the interior, others see the exterior. The sound quality is better in the R8 as well, you can actually enjoy music on the B&O speakers. Also less squeaks and rattles in the R8 than the Huracan/Aventador. So I end up going home in my R8 again. I've done this enough times to have the dealer as a friend/contact in my phone.

This really just boils down to You. Do you want a more flashy rougher ride or a smoother less flashy ride?

My wife loves the R8 because she thinks its the successful car for a younger(30's-40's) crowd who don't want to show off but still made it in life.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've been on the fence about getting a Lamborghini Huracan or Aventador a lot in the past two years. Every time I talk myself into buying one, I head over to the Lamborghini dealer, test drive a Huracan or Aventador and be like... wtf my R8 is better on the interior by far, sounds better(aftermarket exhaust) and rides smoother... When I'm driving, I see the interior, others see the exterior. The sound quality is better in the R8 as well, you can actually enjoy music on the B&O speakers. Also less squeaks and rattles in the R8 than the Huracan/Aventador. So I end up going home in my R8 again. I've done this enough times to have the dealer as a friend/contact in my phone.

This really just boils down to You. Do you want a more flashy rougher ride or a smoother less flashy ride?

My wife loves the R8 because she thinks its the successful car for a younger(30's-40's) crowd who don't want to show off but still made it in life.
Which is exactly why I need to go drive one for myself. Curious as to what the "successful" car is for 50+ crowd? h ahha

1 - 20 of 141 Posts