Audi R8 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Perhaps urban/big city women are different, I don't know. But out here in the burbs most women hardly pay attention to supercars. The vast majority of attention I get is from other guys.

I'm really going to miss these high revving ICE sports cars. EVs will never have this kind of personality.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Perhaps urban/big city women are different, I don't know. But out here in the burbs most women hardly pay attention to supercars. The vast majority of attention I get is from other guys.

I'm really going to miss these high revving ICE sports cars. EVs will never have this kind of personality.
Correction - EV's have NO personality and for that reason among others, it is not a direction I shall be taking.
I have no plans to sell my R8, and my other cars will be ICE as well.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Correction - EV's have NO personality and for that reason among others, it is not a direction I shall be taking.
I have no plans to sell my R8, and my other cars will be ICE as well.
i hear you and hope this is possible but something tells me govt will find a way to make it very unpractical to not at least own a daily electric car...
closing down gas stations to the point where you are getting gas deliviries at home (like anyone with an oil furnace in their basement does) at $50 a gallon
adding annual property tax on registered ice vehicles that exponentially go up based on displacement

once we get passed the upcoming 2025/30/35 milestones of 'no more new ice vehicles sold' they'll change their focus to getting the remaining used ones off the road. they'll find creative ways to thin out anyone who isnt ultra stubborn and wealthy

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
i hear you and hope this is possible but something tells me govt will find a way to make it very unpractical to not at least own a daily electric car...
closing down gas stations to the point where you are getting gas deliviries at home (like anyone with an oil furnace in their basement does) at $50 a gallon
adding annual property tax on registered ice vehicles that exponentially go up based on displacement

once we get passed the upcoming 2025/30/35 milestones of 'no more new ice vehicles sold' they'll change their focus to getting the remaining used ones off the road. they'll find creative ways to thin out anyone who isnt ultra stubborn and wealthy
Unfortunately you are speaking a lot of truth. I can certainly see the UK government of the day significantly raising the already ludicrously high tax on fuel and Road Fund License in an attempt to get ICE vehicles off the roads. Given that a lot of petrol stations here are franchised to private individuals, I can't see them being forced to close, but if the demand falls they will probably have to diversify into EV chargers and the like.

From my perspective,the best that could happen is that the current unachievable deadlines are pushed back, and advancements in alternative fuels continue to be made.

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see what happens on Jan 1st when cash bail is eliminated and they release all the crooks. And luckily our mayor just shot down a vote to double property taxes in any home over 1mm.

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
I think half of the desire (more or less) is based on knowing you can if you want to... Once that question is answered, the real desires become clarified.
This is really spot on. The older I get, the less I act on previous desires for "stuff."

I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing I CAN buy pretty much whatever I want... but that also took a lot of the mystique out of it. When you're 10 years old and see a Ferrari, it's the height of desire... and you hold onto that desire as you grow up. Then the day comes, you realize you could buy a garage full of Ferraris... but you suddenly don't have the desire.

I'm not going to start driving a Camry anytime soon, but I've definitely lost a lot of the need for stuff that a younger me would have drooled over.

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
263 Posts
20 something? I'm 61. Maybe the Huracan you drove didn't have the magnetic suspension? All 3 of mine have had it and find cars ride same as my R8's that had it. Actually that was one of the reasons I left the R8. The Plus didnt offer mag ride and I test drove one and though it was pretty harsh on our crappy northeast roads. The other big reason is they stopped offering a stick and I had never owned a fun car that wasnt a stick. So I figured if I have to go with paddles might as well try the Huracan. If I could get a last model year R8 I probably would add it. Oh and the reason I deleted that thread was I was tired of responding to people reporting it and it also went way off track
Do you still have a fun car that is a stick, or is the Huracan fun enough that you don't miss rowing the gears yourself?

·
Administrator
6,396 Posts
Do you still have a fun car that is a stick, or is the Huracan fun enough that you don't miss rowing the gears yourself?
No fun car with a stick now but did have a Lotus Evora 400 with a stick that was a lot of fun and I should have kept it. The car I had before getting my first Huracan was my supercharged R8V10 manual. Then I got the Huracan and supercharged that, was so much faster than my R8 because manual just shifted to slow. Learned to really like the dual clutch and didnt miss the stick for a car like the huracan, and will probably add a supercharger to my new Evo. But I will probably pick up another fun car with a stick, probably an Emira.

Reactions: lunyx

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don’t know how you guys live without at least one stick car in the stable. I love a slow car with a stick as a hauler car for my time I need to carry kids and bags and crap. I simply can’t fully enjoy a big suv but a stick wagon makes a trip to the furniture store worth suffering through my girlfriend repeatedly asking me if this “piece” will look good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No fun car with a stick now but did have a Lotus Evora 400 with a stick that was a lot of fun and I should have kept it. The car I had before getting my first Huracan was my supercharged R8V10 manual. Then I got the Huracan and supercharged that, was so much faster than my R8 because manual just shifted to slow. Learned to really like the dual clutch and didnt miss the stick for a car like the huracan, and will probably add a supercharger to my new Evo. But I will probably pick up another fun car with a stick, probably an Emira.
I had a deposit for the Emira for 13+ months. Test drove last month finally, and was so disappointed, I cancelled my deposit, increased my budget 50%, and bought an R8. Felt very boring to drive compared to all the cars I've owned in the past.

·
Administrator
6,396 Posts
I had a deposit for the Emira for 13+ months. Test drove last month finally, and was so disappointed, I cancelled my deposit, increased my budget 50%, and bought an R8. Felt very boring to drive compared to all the cars I've owned in the past.
Will have to drive one to see. My Evora 400 was not great out of the box but then did Komo-Tec tune, Larni exhaust and GRP intake. After all that car was a good amount faster and more fun to drive. Also added a ton of carbon fiber in and out. I got this car shortly after getting my my first Huracan so it made the transition to paddles easier
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Car

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Will have to drive one to see. My Evora 400 was not great out of the box but then did Komo-Tec tune, Larni exhaust and GRP intake. After all that car was a good amount faster and more fun to drive. Also added a ton of carbon fiber in and out. I got this car shortly after getting my my first Huracan so it made the transition to paddles easier
How would you say the Evora 400 compares to your lambo and also your R8 when you had it?? Love the blue color on the 610!

Reactions: RS4Cab

·
Administrator
6,396 Posts
How would you say the Evora 400 compares to your lambo and also your R8 when you had it?? Love the blue color on the 610!
Evora was more nimble and a ton of fun in the twisties. Also was more fun pushing a car at the track than holding back on a far more powerful car. Also that car got more looks and comments than my huracans and 488
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Evora was more nimble and a ton of fun in the twisties. Also was more fun pushing a car at the track than holding back on a far more powerful car. Also that car got more looks and comments than my huracans and 488
Interesting... I think the Huracan is a Mean Looking car (like a missle) and the 488 is a piece of art (like a beautiful exotic woman). I guess I always felt that the Lotus' were too small (if that makes any sense)... h ah haha. Oh well, you got them all, so ha hahahha. why choose!

Thinking of adding a Maserati MC20 to the collection?

Reactions: RS4Cab

·
Administrator
6,396 Posts
Most lotuses would be to small for me but my Evora had plenty of room, a good amount more than my spyder. Have thought about the MC20 but before I do anything I want to see if we get some type of timeline on H replacement. My plan is to keep my current Evo forever so would be adding it and if it's within 3 years I will just wait

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, everyone has their own way of valuing anything. However, you couldn't even really see that house much and he got it 27? years ago, might already be paid off... And he retired at 48... so then there's that.. ha hah ah h
Yes, and good for him 👍🏻 Shall we move on? Back to the topic? I have heard a Huracan isn't for taller people, so I ruled it out. Apparently the R8 has more headroom/interior space.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts