Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on "the list" for an R8 for nearly 2 years, and first on the list for over a year. Is there a way to get an idea when a dealership gets it's next car?

It is a little irritating to hear of dealerships with an available V10 on the lot and their 3rd V10 in the pipeline, while other dealerships have orders but no allocation. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am starting to worry the dealer would allow people paying over MSRP to get "my" allocation. Will AOA help?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Find out who the area rep. for Audi is and call him. They have Premier dealers who are getting the early allocations. Your dealer might not be one of those!

Also, check out he Audi list of their Premier dealers and call them. I can't find the page right now, but I know that the list was in an Audi press release a while back.

Good luck.

Steve

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have been on "the list" for an R8 for nearly 2 years, and first on the list for over a year. Is there a way to get an idea when a dealership gets it's next car?

It is a little irritating to hear of dealerships with an available V10 on the lot and their 3rd V10 in the pipeline, while other dealerships have orders but no allocation. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am starting to worry the dealer would allow people paying over MSRP to get "my" allocation. Will AOA help?
When I ordered my V8 over two years ago I discovered that a number of the dealers in my area would be happy to take a deposit and "put me on a waiting list" but they could not give me any idea of delivery timeframe or of their dealer allocation. Others were very specific. I contacted Audi of America who told me to check the Audi R8 microsite (http://microsites.audiusa.com/AudiR8/html/index.html?csref=audiusa_r8) to find out which dealers were R8 authorized dealers ...guess what, the ones who could not tell me their allocations were all missing from the R8 dealer locator.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will try to contact the rep. As far as shopping with other dealers, I am a little stuck as my dealer already has my deposit. They are listed on the microsite, but I doubt they are a Premier dealer.

It seems that the dealer, or at least my salesman, knows surprising little about the car and their relationship with Audi. Other dealers seem to know much more about when they are getting cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Find large Audi dealership. The dealers that have the highest sales figures get the R8s first. New York, Southern Florida and California dealers have generally the highest allocation. Several New York Dealers have new 2009 R8 in stock and will deal on them.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Thanks. I will try to contact the rep. As far as shopping with other dealers, I am a little stuck as my dealer already has my deposit. They are listed on the microsite, but I doubt they are a Premier dealer.

It seems that the dealer, or at least my salesman, knows surprising little about the car and their relationship with Audi. Other dealers seem to know much more about when they are getting cars.
If they cannot give you a delivery date after two years they should give you the deposit back (with interest)!. My dealer has an unsold V10 arriving within the next couple of weeks (they tried to sell it to me when I picked up my new A4 last week).... interested?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I was on a list with a mid-allocation dealer when it was clear that they were not going to get the cars that they were promised. To date I think they have only been allocated two. When it was clear that Audi had created an old boys network of allocations, I found a new one on e-bay and bought at MSRP from a high allocation dealer who had cars sitting in their showroom. Downside is I didn't get every option I would have ordered, but I have had the car for 9 months instead of sitting on a list.

The cars are out there to be had and I recommend going and getting one. I'm disappointed in the distribution process especially for those with cash in hand. Maybe they have other motives.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they cannot give you a delivery date after two years they should give you the deposit back (with interest)!. My dealer has an unsold V10 arriving within the next couple of weeks (they tried to sell it to me when I picked up my new A4 last week).... interested?
Thanks. I will talk to the rep and dealer again, and start looking at other dealerships if it looks bad. When I gave my deposit, got them agree to let me out if I don't have an official order in 18 months. I am not sure that means they will give my deposit back though.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I ran into a similar problem when I ordered my E55 years ago when it was before they were released. I was currently in an S class from my local dealer and they tried to stick me with a $15K premium when ordering. I took it up with the general manager who said they should not have done that to a current customer and wrote the order at sticker price. It was supposed to be delivered in about 12 months. At no point did I get straight information about build date, etc. even as it got closer to the end of the 12 months. I saw a few on the road so I knew they were coming off the line and I was pretty sure at that point they took a premium from somone else and took my "spot".

Anyway, I made some calls and found another dealer who jumped through some hoops and was able to get me one that was equipped/optioned nearly identical to what I had on order - within a week (no premium either)!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A little update.

I did some more checking and this is what I found:

-My dealer has no idea when they will get their next car or how many they can get. They have delivered 2 so far, implying about 1/yr.

-They will not give contact information for reps. In fact, only the sales manager has his/her contact information.

-My dealer's list for R8's contains 3 people.

-I called a larger dealer, who said they are 3 years out and get about 2/yr.

-I called probably the largest dealer in the state and they said their list has 10 names, which would put me at sometime around the end of 2010. (I find it hard to believe they will get 6+ V10s a year.) This dealer put a surprisingly ignorant sales person on the phone for me, who at first said if I wanted a V10 I could place an order and have the car in 120 days. I made her check that and she came back with the 1.5 year correction. Interestingly, they do have a V10 on the lot and she said they would be willing to deal on it. I wish I liked silver.

Clearly, even with the V10, when there are cars on lots some dealers will be willing to move on the price pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
That is crazy, my dealer knew their allocation for the next 6 months.

·
Registered
761 Posts
SteveR:

Man, this really really really sucks! 2 freaking years and still no R8?!?!?!?!?! There really must be something wrong!

In my case, I came in pretty late in line but was granted 2nd place as the buyer backed off the purchase. His car was a copy-paste of the one I ordered.

I think you should seriously inquire with your dealer and ask them to get you the V10 for the price you paid (are paying) for the V8.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was always a V10, so most of the time was spent on a paper list at the dealership. Officially my wait started in February when I submitted my specs. In retrospect, I would have been better off specing a V8 last year, and changing to a V10 when they became available. Live and learn.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I refused to wait the 1.5 years+$35K premium everyone was quoting me. I went hunting around the USA and found several dealers that had my spec available. After weeding out the knucklehead dealers, eliminating the ones that wouldn't drop the premium and searching for a good deal, I was driving down the San Diego freeway on my way home from the office and saw an Audi dealer sign... called them and they had my spec on the showroom floor. A couple of days of negotiating later (plus a small side negotiation for my 996 C4 trade-in) and I drove off the lot with my car, perfect options list and no premium. All in - the process took 2-1/2 weeks start to finish.
You guys waiting for 2 years to get the "perfect" car are nuts. If I waited the 1-2 years some of you guys are enduring I wouldn't be enjoying the 9000+ miles I've already put on since Dec/2008.
Lesson here, car-in-garage is better than your name on some mysterious list for 2 years. Guys - the cars are out there... go get one!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I refused to wait the 1.5 years+$35K premium everyone was quoting me. I went hunting around the USA and found several dealers that had my spec available. After weeding out the knucklehead dealers, eliminating the ones that wouldn't drop the premium and searching for a good deal, I was driving down the San Diego freeway on my way home from the office and saw an Audi dealer sign... called them and they had my spec on the showroom floor. A couple of days of negotiating later (plus a small side negotiation for my 996 C4 trade-in) and I drove off the lot with my car, perfect options list and no premium. All in - the process took 2-1/2 weeks start to finish.
You guys waiting for 2 years to get the "perfect" car are nuts. If I waited the 1-2 years some of you guys are enduring I wouldn't be enjoying the 9000+ miles I've already put on since Dec/2008.
Lesson here, car-in-garage is better than your name on some mysterious list for 2 years. Guys - the cars are out there... go get one!
In French it goes like this: "Et la lumière fut" translated to "And light there was".

Thanks for the only logic that should be darkmatter!

ps: I waited only 3 months for my R8 as I was granted 2nd place in waiting list (instead of 9th I think; basically still would not have it today). I was going to cancel my 9th place but dealer informed me customer in place 2 cancelled so I took it as it was a copy-paste of mine. And no stupid premium!

For the V10, I am hunting it down. Already 2 with perfect specs within 50 miles radius!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good point. I did a similar thing to get my S4 when I had trouble getting a car locally. Eventually I found the car I wanted in PA and had it shipped to me. If I don't hear something soon I'll start making calls. It will probably mean giving up my deposit though. Also, I am a little surprised there are many V10s sitting on lots already.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had my name on the list for a v8 for over a year and gradually discovered that I wasn't going to get one for quite some time(I was #1 on the list!). They actually told me they'd probably get a v10 before another v8!! I searched all over the country and had trouble with some dealers refusing to sell outside the "area"...something about getting in trouble with AoA. However with the economy crapped out I took a chance and called back a dealer who had my exact spec sitting in their showroom for 3 months. Now he was ready to deal and I got under msrp with audicare thrown in. Amazing huh? Just cant trust them.;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts