Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R8 V8 R-Tronic Audi Exclusive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had new Pirellis fitted and noticed a odd juddering noise moving out of parking (turning slow speed) very pronounced weird sound like rubbing or something. I immediately considered CV’s or wonder if there is a third diff between front and rear. Took it to Audi and they said the EXHAUST mounts are ‘old’ and vibrating!!! I looked at them (as they had the whole rear off) and they look brand new (they are 10 years old). I couldn’t bear paying the huge quote for what I thought was a joke diagnosis! Cost me $1000 to have the diagnosis done while they were real I g the coolant overflow tank.
What do you all think? What the hell is this noise.? Drives absolutely normally at highway speed.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
If you do a search on here along the lines of 'tyre scrubbing' or 'front wheel judder' you will find it has been discussed at length. As already said though, perfectly normal.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pirellis seem to be bad for it. If you fit something like Michelin Pilot sport 4S you'll likely find the Judder disappears, did on mine. Sell the pirellis and get the Michelin, better tyre anyway.

·
Registered
2009 R8 V8 R-Tronic Audi Exclusive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently had new Pirellis fitted and noticed a odd juddering noise moving out of parking (turning slow speed) very pronounced weird sound like rubbing or something. I immediately considered CV’s or wonder if there is a third diff between front and rear. Took it to Audi and they said the EXHAUST mounts are ‘old’ and vibrating!!! I looked at them (as they had the whole rear off) and they look brand new (they are 10 years old). I couldn’t bear paying the huge quote for what I thought was a joke diagnosis! Cost me $1000 to have the diagnosis done while they were real I g the coolant overflow tank.
What do you all think? What the hell is this noise.? Drives absolutely normally at highway speed.
Okay, here’s the thing, I was backwards with my Tyres, I actually fitted Michelin’s (not Pirellis) so the idea that Michelins would have been better is negated (my bad). Secondly, I went back to the Tyre shop and they removed the wheels to check everything and after putting them all back on the sound remains but has completely changed! It is definitely the weirdest problem
I have seen in all my years as a mechanic. To be honest is sounds like dry CV joints (hardened steel rubbing against hardened steel(, but I know that cannot be the case. I am not sure about the third diff (as a Quattro I can only assume there is one), and if that is limited slip and dryish or what, but this never happened before I changed the tyres. Please God help me work it out!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine has the same shuddering at low speed turns and I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. With less than 10k miles on my R8 I ruled out a worn clutch pack in the transfer case. Good to know it is a common issue with the R8. I've had this issue before with other AWD cars (at a higher mileage) and its usually the transfer case.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As far as I'm aware (and other people have stated in this thread) full lock, low speed turning produces juddering (I think of it as skipping or jumping the tire along). Good tires help, RWD conversion really helps, but it seems perfectly normal for the car. I could honestly feel it as much as hear it, basically feels like you're dragging the fronts a bit imo. Even RWD converted it seems to do it a bit - the thread I linked below has some discussion of it - speculation is it's a suspension geometry thing that is exacerbated by new or cold tires. The thread also references the FAQ (also linked) that has a discussion of the topic, as well as references to the Audi UK/USA TSB related to the topic and it being normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts