Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2014 R8 V8 with my new weathertech floor mats.. just put them in today. I was so happy with them in my F450, I decided to get a pair for my new R8 :) They fit like a glove. Oh, and the pictures of the water spots looks way worse in the photo than in real life.. I didn't even notice they were there until I took this photo.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Came with mine when I purchased. Have some custom as well, but I keep the weathertech in all year. They are great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Crikey... they do look hard wearing... i go for alternatove approach, mat to wipe feet before getting in car in garage, and full SOP and competency assessment for passengers before they set foot in the car 😂

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have them for over two years now and can comment as follows
  • great fit
  • they are lightweight, actually lighter than stock carpets by few grams
  • quite durable plastic
Don’t like:
  • color gets dull over time and require some shine compound to match black in the interior
  • gets very slippery if any compound applied and does not support heel / feet for spirited driving
  • their logo is big and does not match interior theme

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
i was hoping for a better feel then just a vacuum formed piece of plastic but they do fit and function good. first thing i did was take a heat gun and pop that logo off, i wouldn't want that in my Chevy let alone my R8.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was hoping for a better feel then just a vacuum formed piece of plastic but they do fit and function good. first thing i did was take a heat gun and pop that logo off, i wouldn't want that in my Chevy let alone my R8.
I can see your point, as for me though, it's just a floor mat, not a status symbol.. ha ha ahah I just want to protect the carpet.

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 v10 coupe (US - LHD)
42 Posts
I have them for over two years now and can comment as follows
  • great fit
  • they are lightweight, actually lighter than stock carpets by few grams
  • quite durable plastic
Don’t like:
  • color gets dull over time and require some shine compound to match black in the interior
  • gets very slippery if any compound applied and does not support heel / feet for spirited driving
  • their logo is big and does not match interior theme
That logo is large but probably some way to get a nice Audi Sport/R8 sticker and cover it. Usually, not a lot of wear and tear in that little corner of the mat so perhaps someone has some nice plastic stickers that could cover it.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Never really understood the logic of floor mats. They cover the original carpet mats which means you never get to enjoy them during ownership. All you end up doing is protecting the carpet for the next owner to enjoy. Why not just buy new carpet mats when needed? It’s akin to putting seat covers over the lovely leather seats.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
No different to having door mats in your house surely.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Quite different as door mats in the house cover a fraction of the carpet...car floor mats cover the whole lot. Don’t get me wrong, I get carpet mats as they match the carpet, I just don’t get rubber or plastic mats.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Arh right I'm with you now. I thought you were dissmising floor mats in general.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never really understood the logic of floor mats. They cover the original carpet mats which means you never get to enjoy them during ownership. All you end up doing is protecting the carpet for the next owner to enjoy. Why not just buy new carpet mats when needed? It’s akin to putting seat covers over the lovely leather seats.
It's a re-sale thing. People like to see that the original floor mats are pristine...somewhow they think that means you treated the car prinstine.. I mean I do, but I also never use the original floor mats, so when I sell it... batta-bing batta-boom, perfect floor mats and original. And weather tech mats are super easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
It's a re-sale thing. People like to see that the original floor mats are pristine...somewhow they think that means you treated the car prinstine.. I mean I do, but I also never use the original floor mats, so when I sell it... batta-bing batta-boom, perfect floor mats and original. And weather tech mats are super easy to clean.
Yes, I understand that it’s a resale thing, hence my point. In effect you are missing the benefits of having nice original car mats to enjoy the aesthetics of during your ownership (by covering them up) so that you can extract a little more money from the guy that eventually buys your car (maybe), who, if we follow the cycle, will probably use protective mats again because of resale concerns...and you had to pay extra money in the process by buying protective mats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts