Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as the title says I hae just put a deposit down on a year old R8 without test driving yet. Or actually looked in one.

Can I ask is the Tiptronic better or worse than the SMG II in my m3?

Now will I miss having No rear seats and my convertible, I dunno always like this when I go to buy a new car.

nerves set in.

Oh these are the specs have I missed anything, also will the stereo link into my ipod.

Extended Leather Heated Seats
Cruise Folding Door Mirrors
Magnetic Ride Auto Dipping Rear View Mirror
Parking Advance Interior Light Pack
Hill Hold Assist Cobra Track 5
Dvd Nav Tyre Pressure Monitor
6 Cd B&O

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well as the title says I hae just put a deposit down on a year old R8 without test driving yet. Or actually looked in one.

Now will I miss having No rear seats and my convertible, I dunno always like this when I go to buy a new car.

nerves set in.

Oh these are the specs have I missed anything, also will the stereo link into my ipod.

Extended Leather Heated Seats
Cruise Folding Door Mirrors
Magnetic Ride Auto Dipping Rear View Mirror
Parking Advance Interior Light Pack
Hill Hold Assist Cobra Track 5
Dvd Nav Tyre Pressure Monitor
6 Cd B&O
Are u in the US? or do u not have access to a dealer that might have one.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
slightly worse at slow speeds, about the same on the move imo. couple of things to get used to: it has a kickdown even in full manual mode and it goes to neutral if no gas/brake for a few seconds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,I'm in the UK and the dealer is 3hrs away. I'm torn between an Aston v8 vantage convertible or the r8. My funds are pushed to the extreme in both but hoping the r8 will be more reliable also the servicing should be more cost effective.
More jerky than a M3 smg, hmm. I was hoping for it to be smoother as it's newer. When the ride is on it's softest setting is it similar to the m3 or softer/harder?

Sorry for all the questions, I am going to drive it Saturday but just be nice to hear yr opinions beforehand.

Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
hi,I'm in the UK and the dealer is 3hrs away. I'm torn between an Aston v8 vantage convertible or the r8. My funds are pushed to the extreme in both but hoping the r8 will be more reliable also the servicing should be more cost effective.
More jerky than a M3 smg, hmm. I was hoping for it to be smoother as it's newer. When the ride is on it's softest setting is it similar to the m3 or softer/harder?

Sorry for all the questions, I am going to drive it Saturday but just be nice to hear yr opinions beforehand.

Dave
I was looking at the vantage too, and been following that car for 2 yrs. It is beautiful, but just too many issues, and now they have an even harder time selling them. Lots of brand new 08 still sitting around. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I briefly considered the vantage but they're a pretty common site these days and lack the same sense of occasion as the r8. Combined with the weaker performance (improved on the newer cars), the r8's quattro and the build quality issues that keep coming up with the vantage and it was a pretty easy decision to discount it.

Wondering where in the UK you live that would lead to a 3hr drive to an Audi dealer - the size of the audi network was one of the reasons I went for it vs the gallardo.

I was talking more about stop/start queue type traffic. The r-tronic only has 2 settings - normal or when in sport. Normal feels somewhere around s3 with sport feeling like s5.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live near Rochester in Kent. The closest R8 with R tronic is about 160 miles away.
This morning I test drove a manual R8 but Half hour is not really long enough for a test drive. I would like to have one for a day and use it like normal to see if I can use it as an everyday car, drive it round my locality and compare it to my present car.
I was wow'd by its looks but still not sure so I have taken my deposit of at the moment.
What a dilema , I look at the brouchure and think wow but the test drive didnt wow me. Maybe its becuase I'm so used to SMG.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wasn't impressed with R Tronic - my SMG you can change the speed setting for smoothness. BBig turn off was the auto kick down in manual mode - I quite like riding on the wave of torque at low revs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What price have you paid if you don't mind me asking - there are a lot of cars at mid 60's now that have been around for a while, I would imagine that a cheeky offer a 60 might grab one ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Does the r tronic work similar to SMG, ie changes down automatically when slowing down.
Also Someone said it goes automatically in neutral , now my SMG doesnt do that so that will confuse me. Will be trying to pull away not in gear.

My SMG is always in S5 and after my R8 test drive when I got back into my M3 it seemed more comfortable.Maybe its becuase I'm now on my 2nd one in 5 years and grown old with it. (I dont want a new M3 either, well ugly)
In the R8 I seemed a long way away from the dashboard and the windscreen seemed miles away. But the brakes well, after nearly shooting the sales guy and myself through the windscreen i got used to them, Wow they were good.

Bromers,
I was looking at 70K, my absolute maximum.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Someone said it goes automatically in neutral is this right?
Not sure why you think I'd lie about this - so here's the page from the manual with the relevant part marked with the yellow box.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry random bloke I wasn't calling you a lier. I take your comment very seriously and I will edit that offending post.

Just didnt realise that it would go into neutral on its own, god that would confuse me. So used to it sitting in first gear when stationery.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Just didnt realise that it would go into neutral on its won, god that would confuse me. So used to it sitting in first gear when stationery.
yeah, I have to think to hold it on the brakes when needing to take a corner before a fast blind bend whereas in the m3/m6 I'd be sitting in 1st ready to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Radom,

How do you rate your R8 against the M3.

What are the pros and cons and is there anything you miss?

I love gadgets and after test driving an S5 I thought the interior of the R8 would be similar but its seems a more cut down version.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
The r8 is a real sense of occasion - it doesn't feel/look like a fast version of anything else and the r8's engine makes it a whole different kettle of fish to drive, both in performance and sound terms.

Even though the r-tronic has its weak areas, to my mind it works far better overall with the r8's v8 engine compared to the smg with the I6 of the e46 m3 on the kind of roads I drive (fast twisty welsh roads).

the only cons I can think of are very obvious ones from the outset: small storage capacity and extra width of the r8.

I love gadgets and after test driving an S5 I thought the interior of the R8 would be similar but its seems a more cut down version.
The r8 is very much focused on real world driving pleasure rather than gadget luxury like even the m6 was - although things like the reversing camera and sd card playing help to placate the techy in me. There are some areas I wish audi would address that wouldn't affect the sportiness/weight eg the crappy key and the way they do the alcantara/carbon interior options but those are tiny niggles compared to the way this car plants a grin on my face every time I get to do a good run in it and that is the real point of spending this kind of coin afterall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another test drive tomorrow in a different one. Still not R Tronic. Cant believe that not one dealer within an hours drive can demonstrate an R Tronic.

Now to hopefully get a descent test drive.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the r-tronic is such a big part of the experience that if you are considering ordering an r8 with r-tronic I don't get why the dealer can't put in the effort to get a car over for you to try so you can make an informed decision. it's not like there aren't plenty of r-tronic demo and useds out there in the dealer network.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know its amazing, they want to sell you a car but cant produce a demo. I wouldn't mind if I couldnt see the reversing camera work or maybe the demo not having carbon interior but when it something thats quite a part of the driving experience.
Then again in our area its amazing they have a car for demo at the weekends, usually the sales managers have them over the weekend so you cannot have a test drive.

Now to try and think of a list of what to look at in the car and test.

Be nice to also try it in the dark but that wont happen its booked at 11.10am.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
You'll still be able to get a feel for the steering feel/handling, the noise, the in gear acceleration, the build quality and the overall aesthetic - but the r-tronic is such a big part of the car that it really does dominate all aspects of the driving interface imo.

At least you've had experience with the bmw smg so you have a feel for if sequential shifting floats your boat for the way you like to drive (as it does for me) as the differences are pretty minor in the great scheme of things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Random,

How do you find it as an everyday car?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts