Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent in a deposit and am confirmed for an '08 with a delivery of later Spring from my dealer in New York. I have a month or so before I need to tell them how it should be built. Please, don't belittle me for my apparant stupid questions.. Im a newbie on your site and not an R8 aficionado yet. I have never seen it in person and not really sure what color combo to go with. To think the car is as wide as the A8 and 2' lower!! It must be breathtaking. My heart likes white/tuscan brown but all seem to say silver or black with a dark interior. I have a white A8 now but its a daily driver and white stays clean. R-Tronic or Manual? I'm 90% going for Manual but my dealer seems to think R-tronic. A pure sports car... who needs an automatic transmission? Any pleasant thoughts/advice or otherwise.... thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just sent in a deposit and am confirmed for an '08 with a delivery of later Spring from my dealer in New York. I have a month or so before I need to tell them how it should be built. Please, don't belittle me for my apparant stupid questions.. Im a newbie on your site and not an R8 aficionado yet. I have never seen it in person and not really sure what color combo to go with. To think the car is as wide as the A8 and 2' lower!! It must be breathtaking. My heart likes white/tuscan brown but all seem to say silver or black with a dark interior. I have a white A8 now but its a daily driver and white stays clean. R-Tronic or Manual? I'm 90% going for Manual but my dealer seems to think R-tronic. A pure sports car... who needs an automatic transmission? Any pleasant thoughts/advice or otherwise.... thanks a bunch.
Russman - Fly over to Knoxville, I will pick you up at the airport, spend a couple of hours in the R8, have lunch and get you back home for dinner. No promise that I will let you drive as I tend to be pretty anal in that regard, but I will get you up close and personal with the R8. Mine is Ibis White, CF Side Blades, Black Enhanced Full Leather, R-Tronic so all your questions will be addressed at one time in real time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suggest your right about the manual. Everything else is personal preferance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Russman - Fly over to Knoxville, I will pick you up at the airport, spend a couple of hours in the R8, have lunch and get you back home for dinner. No promise that I will let you drive as I tend to be pretty anal in that regard, but I will get you up close and personal with the R8. Mine is Ibis White, CF Side Blades, Black Enhanced Full Leather, R-Tronic so all your questions will be address at one time in real time.
what i love most about car clubs...
you cant get a more personal and real answer than that above!!
(good going offroad911... we need more folks like you!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the generous offer, offroad. I may just take you up on that as the time draws near. Looks like this car will have quite a "brotherhood" between owners. My dealer tells me that there are currently only 100 that have been made and a total of 350 coming out next year as 2008's. He also says that the car is relatively unknown in the exotic market worldwide. As more enthusiasts learn of its prowess, the demand will surely grow. Automobile Magazine Car of the Year and Design of the Year will spark a lot of interest. This years Super Bowl, Audi supposedly spent $6 million for a 1 minute ad featuring the R8. That should create quite a buzz, too.

I still get pangs of remorse and second thoughts as time goes on... buying a such a extravagant vehicle. Once I spend a few minutes on this site, those thought are quickly replaced! As of now, we're thinking Black with Tuscan Brown

Be well....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I still get pangs of remorse and second thoughts as time goes on... buying a such a extravagant vehicle. Once I spend a few minutes on this site, those thought are quickly replaced! As of now, we're thinking Black with Tuscan Brown

Be well....
russman - IMHO the issue with the Tuscan Brown is that ONLY the seats are brown, nothing else, which makes the seats look out of place. Everything else is black.

With the beige interior (which I would not have since I could not keep it clean enough) the doors, console and carpets are color keyed. The black is the same as is the gray. My R8 MSRP was $15K less than my 05 996 TT "S" Cab which was personally spec'ed and loaded and again, IMHO, is a more complete car. I had guilt with the Porsche and I occassionally have similar pangs of guilt about the R8 but get over them quickly as I slide into the cockpit. There are times in my R8 that I feel like I am in an A8L and then I realize I am in a four wheel jet fighter.

You REALLY need to come to Knoxville NOW so you can make your decisions about color and equipment.

·
Registered
718 Posts
100 built so far ?????

You mean for the USA I presume ????

Some 400+ have been delivered in the UK this year (figures from Audi UK)

P.S. Had mine for 4 months. MANUAL all the way !!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
russman - IMHO the issue with the Tuscan Brown is that ONLY the seats are brown, nothing else, which makes the seats look out of place. Everything else is black.

With the beige interior (which I would not have since I could not keep it clean enough) the doors, console and carpets are color keyed. The black is the same as is the gray. My R8 MSRP was $15K less than my 05 996 TT "S" Cab which was personally spec'ed and loaded and again, IMHO, is a more complete car. I had guilt with the Porsche and I occassionally have similar pangs of guilt about the R8 but get over them quickly as I slide into the cockpit. There are times in my R8 that I feel like I am in an A8L and then I realize I am in a four wheel jet fighter.

You REALLY need to come to Knoxville NOW so you can make your decisions about color and equipment.
Offroad... again, thanks for the generous offer. As it turns out, Audi has a corporate showroom in Manhattan on Park Avenue where they showcase their vehicles to the public. They have a white R8 with Tuscan Brown on that floor until 1/18. Im going to see it and talk to them at length this weekend. On 1/19, its being replaced with the Mugiello Blue. I'd like to keep in touch and ask questions of you should I have them.

Also, on another note, a good friend of mine's neighbor works for Audi USA and tonight, he is going to give me exact numbers as to how many R8's are making it here. My dealer said 350 and the guy from Audi seemed to recall it was in the 300's but he's coming with something more definitive tonight. I shall post those numbers once I have them

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you live in NJ (or can meet me there... 15 miles west of NYC) I'll be happy to show you my car and may even let you drive it. Manual. Silver w/lava, loaded.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts