Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a ride, it needed almost everything, a poster child for what to watch for when buying an R8.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,850 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here we go, locally listed on regional classifieds, we were talking at $78K.

2011 V10 R-Tronic, right under 30K miles. B&O, all the factory carbon, the right color, no modifications, sounded to good to be true.

3 owners, plucked from Texas, clean Autocheck and Carfax, I pulled the latter personally. In our first conversation it was made clear that a PPI was a necessity, no point to go further if it was not allowed at my own expense.

I liked the seller/dealer and believed most of what he said but did smile a few times when it was too obvious. Everything felt right, stored off lot at an impressive garage, been in-state for two weeks, title in hand, taxes and doc fees.

I think the easiest thing is to type a list, I will try to be brief:

- Front bumper cover was poorly aligned, obvious repaint with a unique color, at least one half dollar sized run in basecoat. Recent and obvious curb damage in front of a wheel.

- Hood was an obvious repaint with a unique color, orange peel and lack of clear screamed single stage paint. The front edge had obviously been hammered out.

- Panel gaps under front hood were awful. Everywhere.

- Entire car paint felt like the clear was gone, some spots it was. I don't fully understand it, had the car been a flood victim of Houston and underwater then left in the sun for a year, maybe. Tooling marks everywhere in what was left of the paint, I initially wondered if it had been wrapped, but the emblems were there and looked correct. Really the entire car needed paint. Even the jams felt like they had no clear.

- Something really strange was going on in the louvers around the engine bay trunk cover, like they had been filled with bondo on the underside of the deck, I did not look very far.

- Both carbon side wings were peeling their clear-coat(?)

- The carbon around the engine was gouged in a few places, and scratched everywhere.

- Oil which had been just changed by the best lube guy in town was dark amber, almost light chocolate, smelled of fuel.

- Steering wheel, shifter, hvac knobs, and center console switches were awful

- One paddle shifter was sticky, it did not click, but did work

- Carbon on drivers door misaligned with dash by 1/2"

- Marks everywhere in the interior as in gouges, scratches, smudges, old adhesives.

- Seats were heavily distressed, both felt "sagged"

- A/C worked poorly, possibly not at all

- Windshield had a crack 2/3rds of the way across it

- Front tires just off wear indicators, rears right behind

- Curb rash 3/4 wheels, at least 25% of outer diameter

- Front struts were horrible, rears made some noise though difficult to be certain if both sides

- Metallic rotational noise in front end, best heard at slow speeds or when coasting.

- Steering was unstable, cornering unpredictable. Obviously the struts would help, but it was more, I only ever accelerated in the car when going in a straight line after watching the seller drive it first.

- I thought the brakes pulsated, seller firmly disagreed.

- Trans noticeably shuddered when rolling from a stop, the shifts felt fine, but more seat time would be necessary to confirm.

A few further things will come to mind and several other checks were not bothered with, I never even looked to see the cars undercarriage condition.

If feeling humorous later I will type out a couple of the responses I received when looking it over, some good ones.

Overall worth the trip as I learned about a few new things to research after looking one over.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Just illustrates the importance of inspecting a car or having a PPI prior to purchase. Pleased the trip wasn't entirely wasted.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Wow! That is some list

definitely sounds like a flood car and/or accident car

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Definitely one to avoid.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh man, that is a crazy experience! I bought mine unseen (but took precautions, ppi etc.) but stories like yours scare me from doing that in the future!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thoughts of Wheeler-Dealers filled my mind when reading this. I can vision Mike and Edd (or Ant) doing a number on a car like this BUT ONLY if one was able to buy it at.....lets say 35K? Just curious Isidore did you consider making any offer on the car? Who knows he might have taken a ridiculously low bid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did attempt to find his floor, and he told me what it was... still in the 70's. Even at $50K, it needs $50K with my expectations. And even then it's forever tarnished as an abused and neglected car. Honestly it pained me to see it, but it was an eye opening experience.

I have been burned on a sight unseen classic vehicle purchase, and it still hurts to see it in the corner where I shoved it. I have another thread about trying to buy from a dealer out of state, and at this point my ambition is to purchase privately.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its always tough to walk away from a car like the one you witnessed but better someone else than you. Yours will come......

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Its always tough to walk away from a car like the one you witnessed but better someone else than you. Yours will come......
Huh? Why would it be tough to walk away from a car like that? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here!?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts