Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone willing to give me a spare R8 key. Can it be reprogramed for my car? I called the Audi dealership and they said "No, the keys are specific to the VINs". That doesn't sound right to me. How do you argue with an authorized Audi dealer? (Auto Manhattan)

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 Manual 1999 mustang SVT Cobra 2015 Jetta TDI
202 Posts
Hey Erapp i can conform what the audi delear said is true to a degree depends on what generation of the car you have the actual key fob itself needs to be programed with the vin due to a software thing. My dad also had to get a new ferrari 360 key and fob made and it had to be vin specific for programing as well
I have had to replace mine as well as i snapped the key right off of my ignition and it comes in 1 piece so i had to order a whole new fob if your key portion is still intact i do have that broken spare still if your wanting to try it none the less

·
Vendor
1,829 Posts
The Audi dealer is correct. Your keys are registered in a central database. You can only program another key by deleting one of the keys from the system and programming the other to your VIN and instrument cluster.

You will need to pay up and order off the dealer - it is for your own security that keys are handled like this.

There are workarounds - but we will not be encouraging any owners to do this and will not reveal details. Will increase the theft risk for all owners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts