Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pleasure of having a Superleggera for 4 days and really enjoyed the experience.

As expected I kept comparing it to my R8 and found some interesting differences.

Firstly the overall feel of the Lambo is much more raw and brutal.The R8 Interior feels a pure luxury car in comparison.General driving again displays the difference between these cars.The R8 is such a easy car to drive around the streets compared to the Lambo.The E gear transmission clunks and makes driving a bit unpleasant at normal take off and speed limit speeds.But once you hit over 5000rpm it all falls into place very nicely.

The engine in the Lambo is fabulous and just keeps pulling harder and harder as you push towards the red line.Get over 6000 and a second wind comes in.And oh my god what a beautiful exhaust howl it has!!!!
Unfortunately the R8 V8 is not in the same league at all with acceleration and scare factor.

I kept thinking this is what the R8 should have had from the start....500 plus horsepower.

We drove through some back mountain roads and whilst the Lambo would power between corners quicker... the R8 in my opinion is better handling.The feedback in the R8 is crisper and handles all surfaces much better with a nicer balance.

Hoping back into my R8 after the weekend was by no means a disappointment but I am missing the intoxicating sound of that LAMBO V10 at 8000rpms.

Overall experience is that my ideal car would be a R8 with a Lambo engine?

P.S ..This Friday I have a Nissan GTR for 4 days..not sure if I am excited or.........

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was thinking of getting a Gallardo (not an SL) but chose the R8 for it's comfort as I want to use it every day. SL as a track tool or special day-out drive is a wonderful event.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Gazza,

Try an R8 V10, and it addresses both the power issue, and also the engine sound issue (not quite as loud as Gallardo, but the tone is still there).

I had a standard Gallardo on loan a few months ago, and it is a crude impliment compared to the refinement of either model R8.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gazza,

Try an R8 V10, and it addresses both the power issue, and also the engine sound issue (not quite as loud as Gallardo, but the tone is still there).

I had a standard Gallardo on loan a few months ago, and it is a crude impliment compared to the refinement of either model R8.
Oh I am sure. I am wanting my R8 for long Euro trips as well as everyday use so THINK the V8 is probably more suited to my needs. However after a year of ownership in 12 months time who knows!

Test drive may need to happen to see ;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I haven't driven one , but are the new Lambo's crude implements STILL ?? Those two words would NEVER be used in the same sentence with an R 8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I know a few people who use their G's as daily drivers so not sure about "crude". However, they are nowhere near as refined/comfortable/dare I say "luxurious" in their manner as the R8!

·
Registered
518 Posts
The R8 can be made to be much more brutal!!
Replace springs, add camber kit, dial in 3+ Negative Camber, convert to RWD, Add an exhaust, Add PPI filters, Save Weight and your done!!! :D

Bring on Stock F430 or Lambo any day...
Might as well swap it for a Lambo at that point, surely? ;)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No one bothers looking at a Lambo! That is soooo 90's!! :D

With respect Bz I have never driven a car that has attracted so much attention including my R8.I stopped at one major intersection around 8pm at night in a high tourist area and without exaggeration there would have been no less than 20 camera flashes go off in the space of 30 seconds.I felt like Johnny Depp arriving at the Oscars.

Everywhere i stopped or parked people swarmed around the Lambo and generally commented what a piece of art it was...which I agree happens a lot with a R8 but not to the same intensity that I experienced with this.

It might have been the bold colour and wheels and wing I don,t know but it was a star.

One big embarrassing down side(which has never happened to me with the R8)was 4 people asked what I did for a job.

The only answer I could come up with was I grew Money Trees..which is really lame on reflection.

I should have been honest and said it was a borrow.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Gallardo SL is a fabulous car. I considered purchasing one a while back, but at the time could not justify it's price tag. Today, the car would easily run about $150k for a fair mileage car. This would make the R8 V10 a relevant "value" priced exotic.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I have the feeling our R8's will steal a llittle thunder at the Concorso Italiano, Aug 14th. EVERYONE has seen a Lambo or Ferrari at some time.There are still folks who don't know the R8. I expect Audi Bosses to buy us lunch on the 14th :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the feeling our R8's will steal a llittle thunder at the Concorso Italiano, Aug 14th. EVERYONE has seen a Lambo or Ferrari at some time.There are still folks who don't know the R8. I expect Audi Bosses to buy us lunch on the 14th :) :) :)
Agreed,not going into bat for the Lambo..just telling it as it was.R8 will always be a star and a rarer sight.

But I really want a V10 NOW!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
With respect Bz I have never driven a car that has attracted so much attention including my R8.I stopped at one major intersection around 8pm at night in a high tourist area and without exaggeration there would have been no less than 20 camera flashes go off in the space of 30 seconds.I felt like Johnny Depp arriving at the Oscars.

Everywhere i stopped or parked people swarmed around the Lambo and generally commented what a piece of art it was...which I agree happens a lot with a R8 but not to the same intensity that I experienced with this.

It might have been the bold colour and wheels and wing I don,t know but it was a star.

One big embarrassing down side(which has never happened to me with the R8)was 4 people asked what I did for a job.

The only answer I could come up with was I grew Money Trees..which is really lame on reflection.

It's the colour! My R8 is orange with Matte Bronze wheels & slammed on it's ass. I get ridiculous attention EVERYWHERE I go!! My girlfreind hates the fact that if we go to dinner, we come back to 3-4 people hovering round the car! :)

I'm not saying the Lambo SL is a bad car, it's awesome. Just saying with a few mods, you can make the R8 as good, if not better! Especially on the track. My mate has a black Gallardo and everytime we go to QR he's about 1-2 seconds behind me!!! :D

PS: Next time you get a Lambo or F430 or GTR, let me know. Let's do some performance testing against my car! :)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

Well, if someone is crass enough to ask what you do for a living, they would probably think the money tree quip was the best comeback ever

1 - 16 of 16 Posts