Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed these two photos. The first is the standard headlight already seen on all the other photos, the second is on close inspection quite different and must be the LED version.

·
Registered
564 Posts
instead of 12 they have 24 leds which you can see in image above.. for the directions they have another 12? leds in the top half..etc
in the new AMS they are explained more in detail.

but i still like the old xenon lights... dont mind not to have the leds....

·
Registered
774 Posts
yep I think I agree, if they looked like the LeMans concept I'd definitely go for them but these dont look that different. Guess I will have to wait to see them in the flesh and test their performance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I didn't think that LED drving lights and or head lights were permitted under current UK regulations ... but it seems that the designers have been working with the people who regulate things like the standards of car lighting ... so maybe we will get all LED lighting on the R8 before too long.

·
Registered
647 Posts
...not only UK regulations as far as I know.

Also, price for optional LED lights will be pretty high...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Also, price for optional LED lights will be pretty high...
If you do a lot of driving at night and they give better visibility ... they might be a consideration ... also, if they draw less power than normal lights ... there might be other benefits like, well I'm not too sure ... but there might be some.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Currently what of options do the customers have for the lighting and can we order the one on the jet blue R8 above

·
Registered
367 Posts
I remember the early years of projector-type headlights (not bright enough or a wide enough beam) and Xenons (prone to premature burn-out). As with many new technologies, sometimes it's better to get onboard AFTER the learning curve.
Using LEDs as a light source is interesting and upon full development they will consume less power, generate less heat, last longer and have instant turn-on capability. The first generation apparently produces MORE heat than xenons requiring a fan which adds a point of failure and perhaps negates all of the advantages except the instant turn-on.
Save your money!;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I remember the early years of projector-type headlights (not bright enough or a wide enough beam) and Xenons (prone to premature burn-out). As with many new technologies, sometimes it's better to get onboard AFTER the learning curve.
Using LEDs as a light source is interesting and upon full development they will consume less power, generate less heat, last longer and have instant turn-on capability. The first generation apparently produces MORE heat than xenons requiring a fan which adds a point of failure and perhaps negates all of the advantages except the instant turn-on.
Save your money!;)
Wise words indeed ... yes, it's often better to let someone else do the testing ... and get the improved version later ... maybe if they've got it sorted by the time I can get my hands on a V10 ... it might be something to consider more seriously ... but for now I'll not be going for them ... even if I get the chance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
All a question priorities.......... get the bucket seats sorted out and stop mucking around with the lights, we are not trying to land aircraft after-all !!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just a warning-Bucket seats will definitely not be available in USA. No side and thorax bags in buckets...
So, like it or not R8 buyers from USA/Canada are stuck with normal R8 seats.

LED lights consume more power then bi-xenons as another minus point...

·
Registered
840 Posts
get the bucket seats
Indeed ... major disappointment that they are not standard ... a serious oversight ... or should that be a serious c**kup ... can't believe they aren't even an option at present ... imho they should have been standard let alone an option ... and a late option at that.

Anyway ... there are other threads discussing the seats ... back to the lights.

I quite agree that the lights are a minor issue and as LED headlights are a developing technology ... it's a side issue anyway ... like most people are probably going to say ... leave the LED lights alone till they're properly sorted and have been developed to version 2 of the real world developed units at least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a warning-Bucket seats will definitely not be available in USA. No side and thorax bags in buckets...
So, like it or not R8 buyers from USA/Canada are stuck with normal R8 seats.

Fine by me - as long as I have the car in Canada - saves me money too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No, there won 't be an adaptive version of bixenon's for R8.
IMHO this lights are pretty useless anyway...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts