Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I don't remember exactly where it was, but I do know it was well-marked so just tool through the menus until you see it.

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
My understanding is this cannot be done from the menu, Only thing you can do there is shut them off. From searching I found the only way to keep them on is by changing code with vag-com. I have one and am going to try and make this change

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I don't understand the question ??

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I believe on US cars the DRL's don't dim when you are using the turn signals, whereas euro spec cars DO dim the DRL's

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
On the US cars the LED turn off with the flasher. I just changed mine to stay on all the time, Was easy. I don't get all that hex, binary coding. All I did was unclick the North American Box and clicked on Scandinavian Box

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
After further inspections it seems I changed mine to euro spec so they are dimming when turn signal is on, Still better than shutting off completely. Will need to now change the code to keep it from even dimming. Saw some instructions on another site but still don't understand that binary stuff

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
On the US cars the LED turn off with the flasher. I just changed mine to stay on all the time, Was easy. I don't get all that hex, binary coding. All I did was unclick the North American Box and clicked on Scandinavian Box
On my NA 2008 the LED's don't dim or turn of with the flasher. This was a change made in 2009.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Mine turn off if the main headlights are off, but dim if the headlights are on! 2010 V10.

Steve

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
I found the following in another forum, I just need it translated into simple instructions to make the changes. At least for now I stopped them from turning off which looked stupid but I want to now keep them from dimming.

After bravely toggling bits blindly and trying to see what difference it made to the car, I learned a great deal about controlling DRL behavior. First of all, you can make almost any lights on the car function as daytime running lights: fogs, headlamps, side markers, tail markers, LEDs, or various combinations of these. But more importantly, I uncovered the single bit that keeps the DRL on the signal side from going out.

I won't post the entire coding of my CEM here, because that only encourages folks who don't know any better to cut and paste into their own cars. And blindly transferring VW/Audi's long coding is a recipe for disaster. Rather, I will only describe the particular bit that needs changed, as that will provide all the necessary information to anyone who knows how to use the tool properly, but won't encourage others do damage to their cars.

The bit can be found at:

Module address 09 (Central Electronics)
Submodule 0 (Master Cent. Elec. box, rather than a slave module)
Byte 3 (fourth from the left)
Bit 7 (first bit from the left in the binary representation, bottom check box in the VAG-COM long coding helper).

In cars like mine that "winked" from the factory, this bit is set to 1. (My original coding for Byte 3 was 91 in hex, or 10010001 in binary). Flipping this bit to 0 (in my case, making Byte 3 read 11 in hex, or 00010001 in binary) makes the DRLs stay lit on both sides when signaling. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Yes this is a change they made to US cars for 2009+ models. The driving lights do turn off on the side that the turn signal is flashing. I guess in the US, they decided that by having the LEDs off, others would see the flashing turn signal easier.

It was a very simple change with a VAGCom to make the LEDs stay on. I had Rich at OEMPlus use a VAGCom to change a few bits for me. I think the LEDs look much better being on.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
It sounds like you'll get them to stop dimming. Seems like you work with these systems a lot. :) How dim do they go? Nice dimness for eve. photo shots?? :) Thanks in advance RS4Cab.

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts
Just dims a bit, Didn't even notice it till I checked it in a dark garage. For now I'm set to Euro spec. I so don't get this binary hex stuff. By the way if anyone in the Boston area needs the use of my vag-com let me know

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Just dims a bit, Didn't even notice it till I checked it in a dark garage. For now I'm set to Euro spec. I so don't get this binary hex stuff. By the way if anyone in the Boston area needs the use of my vag-com let me know
so, for the completely uninformed: what are you using to access this?

are you plugging a computer into the car's data port and using some kind of software that accesses the bus or ?

so (I'm still in the discovery phase! spent far more time driving than reading the manual so far!) far the normal user changeable options the car affords you seem to only cover a fraction of the stuff that should be programmable, so I assume the above or some variation is what you're doing....where does one get this?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

are you plugging a computer into the car's data port and using some kind of software that accesses the bus or ?

so (I'm still in the discovery phase! spent far more time driving than reading the manual so far!) far the normal user changeable options the car affords you seem to only cover a fraction of the stuff that should be programmable, so I assume the above or some variation is what you're doing....where does one get this?
Just be very careful when fooling around in the settings, if you mess up the wrong settings, your car will transform into a diarrhea-brown Reliant Robin:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
LOL very good, its amazing what a 0 or a 1 in the wrong place can do!

·
Administrator
6,225 Posts

Yes I'm plugging into the data port using a vag-com from http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html Have been using it on my last couple Audi's. Mostly doing simple things like shutting off seat belt chime, one click to unlock both doors and controlling the windows with the remote.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts