Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from discussions on the pros and cons of the manual and r-tronic transmissions, I thought it would be interesting to see if there was any correlation between being left footed and preferring the foot clutch, and similarly being right footed and preferring the R-Tronic.

I am ambidextrous and can easily drive both transmissions in LHD and RHD form, but I have definite left footed tendencies! So its the manual for me.

This is entirely unscientific, as it gets complicated when you include your hands and LHD and RHD cars, so just FEET please!.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Following on from discussions on the pros and cons of the manual and r-tronic transmissions, I thought it would be interesting to see if there was any correlation between being left footed and preferring the foot clutch, and similarly being right footed and preferring the R-Tronic.

I am ambidextrous and can easily drive both transmissions in LHD and RHD form, but I have definite left footed tendencies! So its the manual for me.

This is entirely unscientific, as it gets complicated when you include your hands and LHD and RHD cars, so just FEET please!.
MikeB,

In my case I don't think it has anything to do with 'footedness'. I am a UK expat (I left the UK 30 years ago and have live in 6 different countries) and I frequently drive manual, automatic, RHD and LHD vehicles without any issue switching between them. My R8 is r-tonic and my every-day car is a stick-shift BMW. I like both of them and don't find any problems switching between them. By nature I would choose a manual over an automatic transmission any time but this is more to do with making the decisions (which I can do with the r-tronic) than using my left foot :) :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, I guess, I was trying to find out if any of us 'cack-handers' in the UK were predisposed to a manual car as we are using both the left hand and foot.

I write and bowl a cricket ball with my left hand, but throw and bat with my right. This probably confuses my brain hemispheres, but I regard myself as a left-hander and much prefer the manual. Maybe I need to speak to a brain surgeon!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Really, I guess, I was trying to find out if any of us 'cack-handers' in the UK were predisposed to a manual car as we are using both the left hand and foot.

I write and bowl a cricket ball with my left hand, but throw and bat with my right. This probably confuses my brain hemispheres, but I regard myself as a left-hander and much prefer the manual. Maybe I need to speak to a brain surgeon!
I am not sure that I am a typical example having lived in several countries and regularly driven on both sides of the road (when sober) :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like Swansailor, I have driven LHD, RHD, Auto, Tiptronic, DSG, R-Tronic, Manual all over the world - I find I have no probs adapting at all. The only issue I ever have after a week on the other side of the road is it is so easy to accidentally pull out of a junction onto the wrong side of the road when there is no traffic about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Left footer but right hander here

I've no problem driving on any side of the road but always find it confusing for the first few minutes while driving the hire car away from the airport while my brain adjusts :)

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I'm severely right-handed/footed but still greatly enjoy driving a manual transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts