Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have approached 3 Audi dealers trying to work out a deal on new V10 and no one wants to stick their neck out in any way which I find surprising..

I bought a used 08 R8 - I go to the dealer and say I want to order a new V10 with some options - the lead time is 5 months - I say I'm willing to pay full list on the new one - so what will you give me for mine?

They would quote a price but then they want the car today, and I am carless for the 5 months - they are not willing to commit to any price in 5 months time - I say Ok how about a loaner for the 5 months? - any Audi - used is fine..

They are not even interested in this - I want this option because there is an incentive to get mine in this way..they may be able to trade slots with dealers who are ordering for stock..

I'm better off to sell mine privately and buy a beater for the 5 months but I'd rather keep and drive the current R8 obviously..

I did expect that they would get a quote for mine today and then do something like discount it say at $2K per month until the new one came in..

If I'm paying full list, the downside on a deal like this has to be pretty small..

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I don't know of any dealer, of any brand that would give you a guaranteed price 5 months before trading in.
Or loan a car for 5 months... it's just not good business.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I paid full list on my V10....condition was I got the car ASAP....they bent over backwards to find me one within 2 weeks!!!

I would not pay full list price for a 5 month delivery....just my opinion!!!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Did they offer you a good trade in allowance if you gave them your R8 now?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they offer you a good trade in allowance if you gave them your R8 now?
none bothered to quote because they would then want the car right now and I wanted a loaner..

makes no sense for me to take their offer and hand them the car today - I'm better off selling privately - I would definately get more on a private sale plus reduce the time being without a car.

My office is 3 miles from my house so I dont want 2 cars anymore which is why I dont want to bother looking for an interim vehicle..

Since I posted, I called a dealer much further away and he will give me a firm price and hold the price till mine comes in - he figures he can reduce the lead time by 2 months..

and he doesnt even have to see the car - he wants me to get an inspection report from my local audi dealer plus send me photos to verify there is no damage..

This is exactly what I thought would and should happen - I am surprised it took 4 dealers to get it..

I would be the 3rd customer of this sales guy who has traded from an 08 R8 to the V10 - he said both trade in cars went VERY fast..there simply arent many used ones in Canada..and likely none where this dealer is..

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Thats great, plesase let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I don't know of any dealer, of any brand that would give you a guaranteed price 5 months before trading in.
Yep happened here when my car went in with a blown engine..

Trade in value on my V8 was 30% approx deprecation on the new car v8 price with a current 18000k on the clock.

Wait on a new V10 was a week 43 build which would be a Feb 2010 delivery.

Was allowed to keep my car until V10 delivery with a $5000 less trade in and a mileage cap of 25000k

Got close to a sign but I backed out at the last minute.

Couldn't justify a extra 200k Aus for a bit more horsepower.

I instead have gone off a bought a Stasis Exhaust,Carbinino Air Kit,Hr springs and a Revo install when the car is back on the road next week.All this has cost me 9k.Plus I have the added bonus of a brand new refined updated version of the V8

Should be loads of fun

With the 192k saved I am going ahead and putting a GT-R in the garage for some company and when I need that real acceleration fix.

Awesome car to drive and a absolute bargain for what it delivers in performance and handling but it is butt ugly..unfortunately in life there is always a compromise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Gazza, did you import exhaust,springs, air filters and Revo or is their a dealer in Australia. Did you Dyno before so as to compare improvements.Do these changes affect warranty.
Thanks i advance
Conm

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Hi Conm

I imported the exhaust from Stasis direct from the states and paid by credit card.Dealt with Donald who is the sales manager..please find his email address below.

No import duty/but gst payable here on customs clearance.

Donald Hennagin [[email protected]]

http://www.stasisengineering.com/

The Hr springs I got from Tcca Motorsports in Sydney...ask for Michelle as she was fantastic and imported them from the states.. I had them delivered in 8 days.

http://www.tccamotorsport.com.au/

Carbiniono
Revo

http://www.peakrpm.com/index.php

For myself based in Qld OPM is doing the Revo install.$2278

Had no real intention of adding all these bits but when my engine blew it seemed somewhat logical for the dealer to put good bits back in.

Never had the car dyno'd as per above..but as long as it feels better and a bit more viscous i will be rapt.Can,t wait to hear the exhaust start up early next week!!!

Hope this all helps

·
Registered
220 Posts
Gazza, keep us informed on improvements and sound.
Thanks
Conm

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
so, Gazza, if I'm reading this right, you're NEVER going to actually experience the NORMAL, STOCK 2010 v8 you're installing? You're going to modify it right out of the box?

If I've got that right, then we're not going to know for sure, from someone who's known both, whether the "new" v8 is really stronger/ better sounding than the "old" v8....or whether it's just my imagination +/or poor memory of Infineon Raceway over a year ago.

Not that I could fault you for doing that. If you're going to mod. it, I guess now's the time. But, in a way, won't you wonder what that new engine would have been like right out of the box?

Either way, good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Wiilyjp..you are correct that the new engine is having the good bits from the word go.

I never had the intention of modifying this car as I was always keeping the V10 in mind.

However when the engine blew and after some negotiations i couldn't see the worth of spending that much money for a bit more horsepower with the V10

When i went and ordered all the bits at the start I wasn't aware that there was a upgraded 4.2L out there.

It was only after it landed in the box that the mechanic noted some of changes externally and found out some further detail etc.

I would expect with all the mods I will be pushing out 460HP plus so I am sure it going to feel..nice.

Heading down the dealer today so I will see if I can get some more dirt on the new 4.2L.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What external changes did the mechanic notice??:)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What external changes did the mechanic notice??:)
Unfortunately I didn't have the sharp end of my brain working that day as I was observing 2 engines all in states of unbuild? and rebuild.

I do remember him showing me some different bracket and positioning locations and talking something about the port separators and underpulley or pulley???

I am as keenly interested to find out more real detail but when I dropped in yesterday my Wizz Bang R8 man was having a day off.

Back down there on Monday as the car is ready to receive the new engine and all going well will be back on the road before next Friday

Will keep you all informed

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's an update:

I have been pushing the dealer that quoted me a figure over the phone to commit to writing..

I had an inspection done at my local Audi dealer - I needed a new pair of rear tires which I purchased and installed along with a 4 wheel alignment - that is all that was needed to sell it today 'certified'

He came back and offered $40K less than the quote on the phone..:eek::eek::eek:

Turned out to be a total waste of time - he now wants to make $40K profit selling mine AND he wants full list price for a new V10..

They can do as they wish, but I dont see how this is good business - they certainly aren't going to get my business this way..

Looks like I wont be getting a new V10 - way too much of a cost difference for the extra horsepower...my car has every option that I want so all the new car offers is the extra HP and a colour change inside and outside..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts