Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone have a list of bulbs (and where they are on the car)? I'm planning to replace all the incandescent ones with LEDs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably no more than most cars. It's odd that the manual doesn't have a list - saying that there are no user-serviceable parts there!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
We need a good shop manual for the R8

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Hi,

Anyone have a list of bulbs (and where they are on the car)? I'm planning to replace all the incandescent ones with LEDs.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

you will note many are labelled "assembly" which I think in effect means "not user replaceable (and I think those are mostly already LED)

if you search on this topic you will find I have posted this before, along with some urls for LED suppliers; one problem you will run into is the straight LED
replacement won't draw as much current and will give you a "Bulb Out" warning; to answer this, they've made LEDs with resistors in series, which to a degree defeats one of the main reasons of using an LED: reduced current draw!

as far as "where they are on the car", you'll need the Bentley shop manual; it locates the bulb and tells you how to replace it, but it does NOT give the bulb spec. or part identifier;

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right - I have the Elsawin guide and it doesn't give a list of bulbs.

I believe you only need the LEDs with resistors on lights external to the car for either safety or regulation.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The resistor is to make the led draw more current so the bulb fail warning system in the car recognises it as a working bulb.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite - I phrased it wrong. The only places where there are likely to be current sensors will be on those lights that need to be on for either regulation or safety.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with willyjp, If replacing any incandecent bulbs, beware, bulbs in the headlamps and tailamps will bring up warnings on the dash. Also, do not attempt to replace the front indicators, the factory way of doing this is to cut a hole in the headlamp and affix a cover afterwards (no doubt something you dont want to get involved in)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to keep the list up to date...

T10 bulbs (without needing resistors) on underside of doors. Recommend 7 (or more) LED bulbs.

T10 in boot (probably needs resistor due to CANBUS connection)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts