Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time since I’ve posted here. I sold my 12 r8 about a year and a half ago and have been in an mba program since. I’m almost done now and have the itch for an r8 again. I picked up a Shelby Cobra GT350 that Ive been canyon carving in for the last year. While the 350 is incredibly competent, I miss the r8. I’m looking at a higher mileage 17 and already asked for the launch count from the seller. I’ve read the mag shocks are still unreliable, so I’ll get it on a lift and have that checked.

What else should I look out for on a 17 base?

thank you

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just look at autotrader and shop around there are plenty used R8s out there. Go visit some stealers and check different ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prospective newbie here that is also eyeing a '17 non plus purchase so any known things to watch out for from y'all would be great.
True that the mag shocks on gen 2 cars are still leaking after some time / usage ???
Is there an onboard logging of launch's ?
I do intend to get an extended warranty as I see this noted often as necessary.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I dont recall reading about any gen2 mag ride problems on this forum but I guess its always a risk which why I specced my car with standard dampers. The very first MY2016 gen2 cars with mag ride suffered from under damping as noted by TopGear magazine in their long term test. I believe this was solved by the time the MY17 was released

Check if the dual breather hose recall modification has been performed. This was done to increase the expansion volume and prevent oil on hot parts starting a fire in the engine bay. If it has not been done it should be free at an Audi dealer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I did read there were no changes in the mag shocks on this forum, so I’m watching out for that one. If that and the recall are the only issues, that’s a great sign. I am somewhat dubious about a screen only cluster. What’s that going to cost if it goes out. And when it does, the cars not drivable. All eggs in one basket there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I might be wrong but think US 2017 cars explicitly did not come w mag ride as an option (not true for Canadian cars)...so not sure you will see many.

Audi shops can pull the launch count via vcds or similar I believe - there are threads on this. That said, personally I would not let that scare you if there are a reasonable number - hundreds yes, a couple dozen no. What’s the point of having a bad ass ride if you are not going to enjoy it?

AC compressor is a common concern (because replacement is labor intensive to the tune of thousands) and is one of the reasons I did get an extended warranty. To each their own on warranty - kind of like buying insurance - be ready to pay if you have to or pay up front and maybe not need it.

I’ve not seen complaints/issues w the digital displays so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh wait - that might be 2017 V10+ had no mag ride option and non plus did - so depends on what you are looking for...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I’ll definitely confirm one way or another.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Be careful what you buy used, these German cars will cost you a testicle if something goes wrong and you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts