Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all,

I am looking for a black hood bra for the R8 gen 1 to protect it from stone chips on mountain road when I am doing tour with friends.
Looks super ugly but it really helps against the stone bombardment from the car upfront me. Used it on the 1M too, everybody laughed but I was the only one who didn't need to repaint the hood after the second year....

yes, I will have expl wrap on the front too and the bra additional if I am not the leading car of the convoy. Planning to do a huge mountain pass tour over a week till 10 days this year e.g. transsylvanian high mountain road is part of it.

like this for BMWs: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bmw-bra

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
Hood Bras are still available? I thought those went the way of the dinosaur back in the 90's. :cool:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Try this...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Paint-Defender-Spray/dp/B00BSKYM82

With your Xpel wrap and this coat on top should prevent most chips. Dries clear and peels off like Plasti-dip. Good for track application too. Cheers.
did u you use it....?
the non-branded plastidip i have is much better&cheaper but all plastidips i tried had some effect on clear coat (new foliatec plastdip for spray guns only a small one) so not gonna use that on the R8. Use the plastidip on my race cars.

But against bigger stones like you get on mountain roads I think due to the angel on the hood only the old-fashioned bra really protects...old, looks horrible but works.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hood Bras are still available? I thought those went the way of the dinosaur back in the 90's. :cool:

i knew someone would post it....but still from my own experience the only real protection for the hood on mountain roads.
Still looking to order a bra but cannot find anything...

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
LOL - sorry, I just couldn't resist. It just immediately made me think of my old 84 Z-28 Camero with the bra on the nose and louvers on the rear window.

How hard would it be to have one made?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any good vendors for a physical front bumper and hood bra? This is for long road trips. I already have XPEL PPF but looking for a physical traditional bra source on a GEN1. Any advice?

·
Registered
254 Posts
dang a hood bra on an r8? I wanna see that...80s all over again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts