Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was drying my wheels with an air blower I noticed that one of the lugnut cover (plastic covering the wheel bolt lock) flew out. I checked the other wheel and the plastic lugnut cover can also be easily pulled out with your fingers. My question is... if these can easily be pulled out, won't this plastic covers fly off during high speed driving? Planning to reinsert the covers back with small piece of paper to make it tighter. What do you guys think? or should I just insert the cover back as it is? :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Now I am going to check mine, thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
Same here, thanks for the heads up. Never paid attention even when washing the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem :) Check the front tires. Out of the 5 lugnut bolts, 4 are fixed and 1 bolt can easily be turned/removed by your fingers. This is the plastic cover bolt that covers the mag wheel lock. Ideally you need the "U" shaped plastic gadget to remove this. (located in your trunk). However, was surprised you can also remove the plastic lugnut cover using your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
My dustcovers on the lug nuts (both the regular hex and the round lock) are fairly tight. It requires a firm pull with the little plastic tweezer gadget to remove them. However, I can see where a jet of air might be able to blow them off from "behind".

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Question, When You Say Tight... Can It Still Rotate In A Circular Motion? :)
No.

I just checked them (while changing out my track pads for street pads). The round ones are really tight. They are hard to get off, and it takes a really firm push to get them on. No way would they come off with the blower as you described.

·
Registered
761 Posts
No.

I just checked them (while changing out my track pads for street pads). The round ones are really tight. They are hard to get off, and it takes a really firm push to get them on. No way would they come off with the blower as you described.
Same here, tight enough. No worries of coming out either by hand nor in high speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts