Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 17 v10+ and have had my run of issues with the car but been able to resolve most of them by taking the car to the dealer. One issue that I have not been able to resolve is this vibrating/shaking noise that I get in the car as I brake at low speeds which vibrates the whole car. This happens while I'm traveling at speeds of below 15 MPH in traffic or when I'm looking for parking. The dealer has replaced the entire braking system but it has not fixed the issue. After months of going back and forth they have now told me that the reps have told them this is how ceramic brakes are on the Audi and there is nothing they can do. I have attached a video for you guys to see and I'd like to know if anyone is experiencing this or have in previous cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please make sure the volume is up and you will hear a vibrating noise as I brake. It's a lot worse in person but thats the best I can provide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had about 6k miles on my last set of brake system. They just put on another set and still having the same issue.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had about 6k miles on my last set of brake system. They just put on another set and still having the same issue.
Something is obviously not right...no one else has this issue.

Do yourself a favor and find another dealer and see what their service dept says. Different set of eyes is always good. If not get the Audi regional rep involved.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can clearly hear the vibration in your video and it's not right. Mine definitely does not do this; indeed (finding some wood to touch), the braking system is one of the most reliable parts of mine, unlike much of the rest of the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm curious, when you say they replaced the entire brake system, what does that mean? The rotors, pads, and calipers? Because vibration can be due to the rotors (warped or out of round), or calipers that stick. Or, perhaps the rotors themselves were not mounted properly (or cannot be mounted properly due to a engineering defect of some sort).

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I am aware of an issue (not R8) whereby if the hub that supports the rotor is not true or even clean, this will allow the rotor not to sit squarely and consequently cause vibration. As suggested, have someone else examine it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not normal noise at all.... If it were squealing I would say normal.... where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Never had issues with my braking system, only some sort of "air hissing" noise after some extremely spirited mountain roads driving in Italy in summer but no real issues so far.
My car has over 11000 km now, so far...trouble free. Like a Swiss clock. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curious, what bedding/break in process did you do?

The service department took care of that on my new set according to factory guidelines.

I'm curious, when you say they replaced the entire brake system, what does that mean? The rotors, pads, and calipers? Because vibration can be due to the rotors (warped or out of round), or calipers that stick. Or, perhaps the rotors themselves were not mounted properly (or cannot be mounted properly due to a engineering defect of some sort).
The service department replaced the brake pads and brake discs.

Not normal noise at all.... If it were squealing I would say normal.... where are you located?

Im located in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just wondering have you taking the car out and really push the brakes to the limit?

Given the problems I've been experiencing I haven't felt comfortable to push the car since I can't identify the problem.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why don't you go to another dealer service dept?????

You're in LA, so tons of choices.

Well guess you're not interested.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why don't you go to another dealer service dept?????

You're in LA, so tons of choices.

Well guess you're not interested.

Good luck.
I will definetly try a diffrent place now that I see no one is experiencing this issue. I first wanted to see if anyone had a solution before starting all this at another service dept. Thank you all for feedback.

·
Super Moderator
3,985 Posts
I've played with the carbon/ceramic setup now for years and no, it should NOT vibrate one bit, ever. They're smooth as silk, whether on the track or on the street.

Do you feel it all over the car or just from one corner or ???

The service department took care of that on my new set according to factory guidelines.
Unacceptable answer from them. What EXACTLY did they do? Telling me they did it to factory guidelines is a line of crap without details. That's kind of like saying "put the cap back on the oil tank after filling".

I recently heard that there's a fairly complicated procedure to bed in the carbon/ceramics (not that I've ever done it - I always just get out, get up to speed and then find the ABS point five or six times in a row).

I wonder if one of the hats is not allowing the rotor to float? The rotors are held in place with a series of stays that will let the system move a tad. If one of these is out of tolerance or binding that may not allow for any floating and that could be a culprit for the vibration.

As asked previously, what was changed out from the original system? You say everything, but what is everything? I have a hard time believing Audi would actually pony up for a complete set of carbon/ceramic rotors w/o doing more in depth testing/trouble shooting. It's bound to be something stupidly simple (like a binding mount) that everyone's overlooking. I'm not knocking techs, but anymore they've been trained to just replace the "problem" and not diagnose the origin of the "problem" and fix that. Throwing parts on something w/o understanding why it's being replaced is pointless.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts