Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but my new to me R8 has one shock that is weeping oil. It was noted at the inspection and price was adjusted to reflect this.
Given that it will need sorting at some point I'd rather deal with it sooner rather than later.
I've contacted Nagengast about a pair of refurbished units.
Thus far communication has been a little slow, which has not inspired huge confidence.
Alternatives would be BC coilovers or maybe OEM passive dampers assuming they are available.
Just looking for a steer in the right direction.
I'm UK based by the way.
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Nagengast are your best option if you want to keep with the magrides.
Passive dampers were fitted to the R8 Plus and some models that mags were not available on. This is the route I took a few years ago and I've been very happy with the outcome.
Personally, I would not fit BC's but others have and appear to be pleased with them.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thanks. 👍
Where did you source the passives from?
Got them directly through my local audi dealer, but R8-Stuff (a trader on here) can often do better prices.

There are 2 versions available -the V10 plus shocks (Front Part Code: 420 412 019 AB & Rear Part Code: 420 512 019 AB) are slightly firmer and give a 10mm ride height increase to the rear. The normal shocks (Front Part Code: 420 412 019 BA & Rear Part Code: 420 512 019 BA) are standard ride height.

Reactions: Dave Angel

·
Registered
222 Posts
I messaged Raf from Nagengast last week and he got back to me pretty quickly so you may have just been unlucky; I'm pretty sure that we'd have to pay VAT on import as well though so worth bearing in mind. Think I worked out it would end up in the region of £2200 for a pair of front shocks including returning the faulty ones for a partial refund.

I'm probably going to have to end up doing mine in the next 12 months as well and I'm not sure which way to go. I really prefer the OEM magride side of things, but given that the replacements are likely to fail at some point as well I'm not sure if it's sensible as I intend to keep the car for at least another 2-3 years.

·
Registered
506 Posts
At £2200 the op might as well just buy from a dealer. Would be about the same not including fitment. Not sure there's much point dealing with nagengast on here, from the UK, as he's US based. Better of contacting nagengast directly in Poland which is maybe what the op had done and is why the reply has not been as quick. Shouldn't have to pay VAT as it's a repaired item not new.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
I've emailed Nagengast direct in Poland.
They have quoted €675 each plus carriage.
They also also are asking €400 each as a deposit, which sounds quite a lot to me.
I don't have an issue with the cost necessarily but it would be reassuring to hear of some positive experiences maybe.
They also have an ebay shop which would might be an easier route.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've emailed Nagengast direct in Poland.
Oh, I see! That actually didn't occur to me, I thought that the forum member on here worked directly for them from Poland.

For around £1200 for the pair landed that's actually pretty good and I'd be happy to pay that I think.

Shouldn't have to pay VAT as it's a repaired item not new.
I also didn't realise this, I've heard there have been issues with EU shipments in the UK recently in terms of taxes so I thought we'd get hit with something, but if it's exempt then that's really good news.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i would suggest considering Ohlins coilovers
cc @Scott-AhlmanPerformance
I'd love to run Scott's setup on my car, and from what I've seen of him and the product it's quite likely to be the best available for these vehicles. It is, however, in the region of 3-4 times more cost upfront than refurbing magrides or the passive setups last time I checked which personally I can't justify right now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is the pricing I received earlier this years (USD):

Swap service:
4 x 600 USD - repair
1 x 150 USD - customs (US-PL, please declare max 100 USD at Customs)
1 x 170 USD - shipping
4 x 400 USD - the deposit (will be returned after receiving old shocks)

In this case, please send me your complete billing and shipping address information.
We will prepare a proforma for payment.
Repair of yours
4 x 600 USD - repair
1 x 150 USD - customs (US-PL, please declare max 100 USD at Customs)
1 x 170 USD - shipping back to US

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. There seems to be a lack of consistent pricing. €675 or $600 for the repair.
€400 or $400 deposit.
Perhaps Raf could clarify as I'm a little confused.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts