Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Vendor
521 Posts
Actually, just checking back on some correspondence from Raf, who I originally contacted.
His quote was $1000 per shock and a surcharge of $100 per shock.
Pricing right now is pretty much the same, but just slightly convoluted, due to shipping cost difference between different countries and many of our customers choosing to sacrifice their deposit due to high return shipping on their side. In the end we need to maintain inventory, so all our customers can receive their shocks within 3-5 business days worldwide, and then ship their old shocks back at their convenience, without a need of occupying a garage lift for extended periods of time.

We'll work on standardizing our pricing across all boards in the next couple days. In the meantime - happy to answer any questions. We have rear & front sides for both V8 and V10 R8's, and of course will match the part numbers to the VIN of your R8.

Cheers!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
To be fair, the refurbishment cost is what it is regardless so it's difficult to understand the variation in pricing. Adding shipping and the refundable deposit seems relatively straightforward.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
If refurbing is your preferred route, I'd work with @Nagengast on getting it done - they're the main player in town, and their reputation has been solid. If buying OEM parts new, @R8-Stuff is going to get you some of the best pricing. Also highly recommended.

If you're looking to go non-OEM coil-over, I'd speak with @Scott-AhlmanPerformance about his Ohlins options.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
756 Posts
I'd love to run Scott's setup on my car, and from what I've seen of him and the product it's quite likely to be the best available for these vehicles. It is, however, in the region of 3-4 times more cost upfront than refurbing magrides or the passive setups last time I checked which personally I can't justify right now.
Our prices had to go up to $8550/set for our Stage II Ohlins TTX coilovers just in the past few weeks due to lack of supply and having to build them up from individual parts rather than buying assemblies (~40% increase) plus shipping and VAT. Even then I am surprised these are 3-4 times the cost of ~$4000 USD (don't know their exact current pricing) refurbished Nagengasts. Can you avoid VAT and shipping. Is VAT for these that much?

Regardless, I fully understand even double the cost being tough to justify...without comparing ours to alternatives back to back. Depends on your use of the R8 and value of connection to the R8, high speed stability, rough road grip, power down and carving corners with precision.

·
Vendor
2,804 Posts
Our prices had to go up to $8550/set for our Stage II Ohlins TTX coilovers just in the past few weeks due to lack of supply and having to build them up from individual parts rather than buying assemblies (~40% increase) plus shipping and VAT. Even then I am surprised these are 3-4 times the cost of ~$4000 USD (don't know their exact current pricing) refurbished Nagengasts. Can you avoid VAT and shipping. Is VAT for these that much?

Regardless, I fully understand even double the cost being tough to justify...without comparing ours to alternatives back to back. Depends on your use of the R8 and value of connection to the R8, high speed stability, rough road grip, power down and carving corners with precision.
We are feeling the same pressures. Costs of all shocks are going up - across the board. Increasing energy, raw material and shipping prices.
We have been shocked by some of the recent supplier price increases.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
756 Posts
We are feeling the same pressures. Costs of all shocks are going up - across the board. Increasing energy, raw material and shipping prices.
We have been shocked by some of the recent supplier price increases.
Thank you for your feedback. We are all seeing the same thing. Inflation is real and I don't see it being temporary.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Even then I am surprised these are 3-4 times the cost of ~$4000 USD (don't know their exact current pricing) refurbished Nagengasts.
It'd be wrong of me not to put my hand up here and say that my math(s) was off - it's more like 2.5x the cost rather than 3-4 times, apologies Scott.

If I had £7k to spend on suspension I can assure you that you are the only person I would contact - your reputation precedes you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The next topic to debate is Delphi or BWI......?
My car appears to have one of each fitted to the front. Delphi only on the back. It's the BWI that's leaking.
According to the service history that is the shock that was replaced some ago. I'll check the mileage at the time.

·
Vendor
521 Posts
The next topic to debate is Delphi or BWI......?
My car appears to have one of each fitted to the front. Delphi only on the back. It's the BWI that's leaking.
According to the service history that is the shock that was replaced some ago. I'll check the mileage at the time.
Delphi was taken over by BWI (Beijing West Industries) in 2009. It's hard to say if one is better than another, since they both fail prematurely, but there are some early Delphi shocks that are holding up strong. Perhaps from prior when the acquisition happened.
We advise to change shocks at least in pairs, just like tires. You'd want all sides to have an even wear.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts